L# Shark Problems...
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeShark Problems...
bettadude
Fingerling
Kudos: 15
Votes: 3
usa
hey i have a rainbow shark with 3 tiger barbs and a chinese algae eater (going back on sunday) and the shark always goes behind the filter during the day. is this normal? or is he like sick or something???

experience is something you dont get until right after you need it
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2009 00:22Profile PM Edit Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 285
Votes: 34
male usa
maybe he just likes it there better?probably dark and he feels safe. have u noticed any abnormalities?
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2009 02:17Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
He could be a timid fish to start of with.
Do you have a special place for him like a cave or a piece of DW he can hide under? Also he just be settling in to his new home.
Finally it could even be the CAE.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2009 06:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bettadude
Fingerling
Kudos: 15
usa
no he has no abnoraliteies (probly spelled wrong) he also does have somewhere to hide and i dont think it is the cae becasue 1 it is still like | | that big and 2 he sometimes chases the cae at night (which seems to be the only time he comes out). i didnt no if he just liked it there or if he was sik or mabey even if he was noctornal..

experience is something you dont get until right after you need it
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2009 23:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 478
Votes: 271
male australia
do you have a really bright light,its sounds like hes trying to hide,and dosent have anywhere else to go..
Post InfoPosted 13-Jan-2009 05:50Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 285
Votes: 34
male usa
he most likely just wants to be in private.what if you were sleeping and people kept coming into your room and turning on the light.itd be hard for your eyes to adjust right?
Post InfoPosted 13-Jan-2009 06:25Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
apandaepidemic
Small Fry
Kudos: 5
Votes: 0
I had somewhat of the same problem, except I made the mistake of getting an albino rainbow and a black rainbow shark, which I learned the hard way shouldn't go together. But yeah, my albino would always hide upside down behind the heater, I thought maybe he was cold. Once the black one died, he just all of a sudden came out of his hiding spot and he's been fantastic ever since, getting pretty big now! He's in there with gouramis, platies, and mollies, and they all get together just fine. So I don't know, maybe it's the tiger barbs? Or maybe just a bigger, darker hiding spot.
Post InfoPosted 28-Aug-2009 18:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Littlecatjoe

---------------
Fish Guru
Kudos: 587
canada
EditedEdited 05-Sep-2009 20:02
I have a "monster" black shark and all he/she does is hide all day and terrorize the tank all evening!! (It's fabulous!) If your shark chooses the filter over the cave then don't worry, it may change it's mind later on when it gets bigger and can't fit behind the filter anymore. With fish that tend to hide a lot you do need to keep a good eye on things so you can make sure nothing is wrong. I have found that sharks are quite timid when they are small- only natural I guess, since they never know what might swim by to eat them! But if you feed them well, give them a good place to hide with caves and plants and driftwood, and give them some topswimmers to reassure them that all is well above their heads then they will soon grow up and delight you!!

Oh, and if someone put me in a tank with Tiger Barbs I'd never come out to make them happy.. They tend to be bullies- just wait till your shark gets bigger, then they'll be the ones hiding!!
Post InfoPosted 05-Sep-2009 20:01Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies