Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeSharks
shadowtheblacklab
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 52
Votes: 0
female usa
75 gallon tank,Albino[3 and getting more species soon] cories ,would like to add a shark[bala,red tailed,ect] could it work?I was thinking about clown loaches,but would also like a shark

I also have in there:
4 platies
1 female guppy
2 swordtails
3 albino cories
1 honey gourami
1 sailfin pleco
1 dwarf gourami
2 black skirt tetras
8 red eye tetras

Want to add:
4 german blue rams
4-8 angelfish
6 clown loaches
more[17-23?] misc cories
7 red eyes
15 cardinal or blue emperor tetras
1-2 gold gouramis

could I do it?

Yup. I'm that crazy Twilight/animal/music girl
Post InfoPosted 22-Aug-2007 20:39Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
With your intended stocking, I'd say no.

If you add all that you want to add, you're going to be overstocked. The CLs will get to 9 or 10 inches each and will eventually need a bigger tank. The angels are a good sized fish as well, and if two end up pairing, you could wind up with some serious aggression issues in the tank. If you're going to keep angels, I'd say stick with the upper end of your range -- at least 6 fish. If you have less, they might gang up on the weakest one.

Cut out the loaches, and I'd say that you could add a RTBS or Rainbow shark without too much trouble. I'd advise against the Bala Shark. These guys are schooling, really skittish, and they get BIG -- a foot without breaking a sweat. I've actually seen one break the glass canopy of a tank when it got spooked and jumped.

One thing you may want to consider: RTBS and Rainbow Sharks CAN be really aggressive. Most of them are generally peaceful towards similarly-sized fish, but occasionally you can get a real murderer. Make you you have a bunch of hiding places for some of the smaller fish. They both are intolerant of their own species or fish that look similar to them, so only add one. Just watch the shark closely for about a week to see if he's a bully.
Post InfoPosted 22-Aug-2007 21:10Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
shadowtheblacklab
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
Thank you Joe!

The tank is going to be very heavily planted,with 2X Pengiun330 and *maybe* a magnum 360,so I do not think overstocking will be a problem[except for any aggression]

Post InfoPosted 22-Aug-2007 21:15Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 4173
Votes: 452
male usa
i would also cut the bala sharks and clown loaches.

Both will like to school and get too large for 75 gallon.

The rams are fine, and the angels are fine, but i would stick with 4 angels and they will get large and may fight when a pair forms.

The red tail black sharks i would leave out as well. It will get larger in your tank and be aggressive.

The gouramies, tetras and cories will be fine to add.

If you would like "shark" try looking into a flying fox, it will be fine and look cool in the tank.
Post InfoPosted 22-Aug-2007 22:32Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
tigermom
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 48
Votes: 59
female usa
can also reply on the rainbow shark. I have one and they get very aggressive.(at least mine did) As he got older the aggression grew but he was always aggressive. One thing I noticed he does is when there is a new fish he follows them around the tank and some what nudges them(I guess to see if there aggressive as well or will react). He keep that up for the whole night and by morning they are usually a new victim. They start out small and cute and think "oh what a cute little shark...NOT." My shark is a terror. He went through 3 tanks in a year(partly my fault though)and had grown full growth in less than a year. He is my favorite fish but a pain to find companions for. He doesn't like anything that looks like him nor anything with red. He is very particular about anyone on the bottom of the tank and he gets even more aggressive when the food comes out.(even though I can see why because the tiger barbs are pigs and always go after the food even though he chases them away) He is very interesting to watch though and I can even say that he has a personality to boot. Just be careful what you put with him because I know from experience that these guys can really go after a fish despite having a small down turned mouth.

good luck

tigermom

For got to mention these fish once older get very stocky. They have a lot of power in there body and can do alot. I once took him out the water to move him to a new tank and he was so heavy he nearly broke the net. He then jumped and I mean JUMPED out(a very good distance I must add)the net onto the floor and I nearly lost him. One of those days you want to forget.
Post InfoPosted 22-Aug-2007 23:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
If you want Clown Loaches and Bala Sharks you will have to go to a BIG tank, when the RTS gets big they just take over a tank. I would also steer clear of the Angels as they also can get very big and some timec aggressive.

I would only build up the Honey & Dwarf Gourami.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 23-Aug-2007 08:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
Kudos: 83
Votes: 242
male australia
EditedEdited by countryfish
shadow, Let me give a contra view . I own 4 sharks , they are all in the same tank
and whilst they are not the best of friends , they don't do any damage to each other .
They certainly don't bother other fish .
Now I know a lot of people who have had murderous individuals and I respect that
could happen. But they are not all like that and if you get one of those you will need
to remove it .

So my point is that its a risk but the rewards if you get a good one are great .
They are a fantastic looking fish and they are very interactive .
Sooo.... up to you

I just realised you were talking about Bala's as well . I would not go there, as you they like company , Red Tails and Rainbows are very happy by themselves .

Garry
Post InfoPosted 23-Aug-2007 13:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
shadowtheblacklab
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
Thank you everyone

I will reply again later because I just woke up.

Post InfoPosted 23-Aug-2007 14:10Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies