Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeSiamese Algae Eater
sunspotkat
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 33
Votes: 11
female usa
I was thinking about getting a Siamese Algae Eater for my tank now that I have established something for an algae eater to eat. I think that it would fit in nicely with the bala and barbs and would make the move into the big tank with them.

I was wondering if anyone here had kept these fish and what their experiences were.

Thanks!

- Meow -
Post InfoPosted 21-Jul-2006 16:30Profile PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I have had them in my tank for years My Profile shows what else is in the tank as well as the Photos Link.
I do not know about the barbs but they are not suitable for any angles as they "Can" clean the natural slime off their bodies.

As far as algae eaters good while they are young but as they get older and fatter they prefer the given foods (well mine do) rather than eat algae all the time.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 22-Jul-2006 01:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Natalie
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Apolay Wayyioy
Kudos: 3730
Votes: 348
female usa us-california

I think you're confusing Siamese Algae Eaters with Chinese Algae Eaters. They are two completely different fish.

Siamese Algae Eaters are a species of barb that eats many kinds of algae, including filamentous species (which most other algae-eating fish will not touch). They are an extremely active shoaling species that grows to about six inches in length, so they will need at least a 40 gallon tank. They will do some chasing among themselves, but they are peaceful to other species of fish.

A couple ways to distinguish Siamese Algae Eaters from their similar looking relatives is that Siamese Algae Eaters don't have a sucker mouth and their fins are completely clear except for the black stripe that runs through their caudal fin.

I'm not your neighbor, you Bakersfield trash.
Post InfoPosted 22-Jul-2006 02:54Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
crusha
----------
Enthusiast
Fish Geek
Kudos: 183
Votes: 102
female australia
I'd recommend them to anyone that has the space for them.

They are always looking for algae to eat and they are brilliant at removing the BBA. I think they are the only fish that will attack it.

Those who say they cant, Never will !!!
Post InfoPosted 22-Jul-2006 03:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Here is a photo of my SAEs. As Cory mentioned they do chase each other around the tank they are very fast when they get going. All I can say is they love all the extra foods I put in the tank. This week they practically stripped a soft pear core down to a fibre.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my

Keith

Attached Image:

SAEs eating pear

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 22-Jul-2006 05:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sunspotkat
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 33
Votes: 11
female usa
EditedEdited by sunspotkat
I'm a little confused..

I know that Siamese Algae eaters are a different fish than the Chinese Algae Eaters. I did some research and it's definitely the Siamese Algae Eaters that I want.

How can they be damaging to Angels if they don't have a sucker mouth?

Anyhow, that's a moot point now because I've decided that I'm going to be moving the angel and serpaes out of the 55 gallon they're in right now into a second 55 as soon as I am able to get it set up. Then the Bala, barbs and catfish will be on their own. Only then was I going to add any SAE. Otherwise I think that my tank will become too crowded and will look funny.

It was mentioned that they are an active shoaling species. What is the minimum recomended number to keep?

I know that larger fish are obviously heavier waste producers, but are SAE very very messy or just somewhat?

Would there be any conflict between the Pictus Cat and an SAE, or should I move the catfish too?

That is a very nice picture Keithgh. I notice in you profile that you have Pictus cats. Have you ever had any problems? Your tank is larger than mine. I won't be moving any of these fish into a larger tank for about nine months to a year.

Thanks

- Meow -
Post InfoPosted 23-Jul-2006 17:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Pictus can be a problem to start of with when they are young even if every thing is perfect for them. Once they get bigger they become very quick eaters. At feeding time they dart out get some food race around then come bact for more. The only problem with them is if a small fish up to 3/4ins can fit into its mouth it will be a nice snack for them.

SAE and Angles I use to watch them actually going over the Angles bodies as if they were cleaning them. I mentioned this to an Importer and he explained to me that the Angles give off a hormone just before breeding to attract the opposite sex it is this that also attracts the SAE.

The SAE are basically a mid level swimmer where as the Pictus is a cave dweller or it hides under heavy plants. I often used to see the Pictus in the same cave as the huge CLs There is certainly no problem with them at all.
Being a big fish they certainly would prefer a big heavly planted tank with plenty of hiding placed for them.

Look here for my

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 24-Jul-2006 01:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies