Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeTigar Barbs
Inkling
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 498
Votes: 11
female usa
I heard many good things about tigar barbs and I think they are very pretty. I wanted to put them in my tank but I hear that they are semi-aggressive. If I put them with an angel or two how do you think that would do? I heard if you put alot together w/many hiding places that they will do well in a community tank? Is this true?

Inky
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:59Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Report 
i_spaz_out
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 67
Votes: 1
male canada
it is and it isn't true. it depends on the size of the tank, how many you put in, and what tankmates you have with it. my tiger barbs have NEVER shown any agression toward the other fish in the tank at all. that being said; i don't have an angel fish, or anything with long flowy fins. from what i've heard through other people's experiences, the angel's fins may be too tempting for the little barbs, and you may end up with one beaten down angelfish...
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Inkling
-----
Fish Addict
female usa
I see.

The tank is 46 gal.

Inky
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:59Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 7215
Votes: 1024
male malta
I don't thing that it's a good idea to mix Barbs & Angels, because of the nipping problem & the Angels long fins.

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/s8xi5heh/my_photos
http://www.geocities.com/s8xi5heh/classic_blue.html
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/buzaqq/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corydoras/
Member of the Malta Aquarist Society - 1970.
http://www.maltaaquarist.com
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:59Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 922
Votes: 69
male usa
IMO regardless of what else goes in the tank, it may be agood idea to add the tiger barbs last. That way they wont establish any sort of territory, and maybe it'll keep their agression down.

I used to have tiger barbs - very pretty fish. Unfortunetely mine were very aggressive with eachother and ultimately to other fish as well. My school attacked my bristlenose pleco when I first added him. Eventually i took them all back because they limtied my other stock options.

Back in the saddle!
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
I circumvent the problem of tiger barb aggression by having them in with fish that beat the hell out of them if they start anything.

Had an adult west australian rainbow (7 incher) start a 4 day persecution campaign on a barb that nipped him, he took it really personally.He wouldnt let the barb out of the corner of a 6 foot tank for the whole 4 days, he would swim right up to the barb, shepherd him back into the corner and stare at him at point blank range wiggling his tailfin , getting ready to launch an attack as if to say, "I even hear you fart funny and im gonna rip your head off". The barbs never touched another fish after that. Scary how fish can remember things when they really want to.2 second memory... yeah riiiiiight.

Better living through superior firepower.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:59Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
i_spaz_out
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 67
Votes: 1
male canada
i agree whole heartedly about getting something that will keep the barbs in line. i have a female krib in my tank, and the barbs nipped her the 1st day they were in the tank... that has never happened again. i've had barbs die as well, and the krib will finish them off, and eat their eyes... she teaches through example... as if to say " me off, and i'll eat your eyes!"
luvmykrib
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 256
Votes: 27
female canada
LOL, my krib also has the barbs in HER tank whipped into shape. They'd think twice before trying to nip at her.

I would not put barbs with angels, they can't resist the long fins. I'd keep them with cichlids(like the kribs), danios, other barbs,larger rasboras or some of the larger tetras, or rainbow sharks (they get nippy too). And always in a school of at least 5 although more is better.

"If you're afraid you'll make a mistake, you won't make anything."
-Family Circus
reun
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 216
male usa
my experience with barbs and angels is that if you do what was said, and add the barbs in last you should be fine, especially if you have a school of over 9 barbs in that large tank. also, if you have a full grown angel fish, the barbs will be forced to leave it alone or get their butts kicked. my barbs are in a group of 8, and they are too busy chasing eachother around and quibbling amounst themselves to pick on others.
Inkling
-----
Fish Addict
female usa
Thanks for the info! I haven't put any fish in the tank yet. I am still considering several options, I want a carfully planned tank so that I won't have any behavior problums with the fish I want all my fishies to be happy. Do you suppose they would bother a butterfly fish or clown loaches? The butterfly has very big fins and grows to about 8" ?

Inky
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:59Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies