Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
Kudos: 1350
Votes: 730
female australia au-victoria
I was mortified at work yesterday when I discovered the puffer tank had zero salinity in it. It would certainly explain the deaths in the tank. What is the measurement for brackish or a suitable salt level for these guys? There are scats in there also.
I am not sure which puffer it is. Being Australia its not gonna be a very exotic one. Its labeled as 'freshwater puffer', even on the wholesale list which doesnt help!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Post InfoPosted 29-Apr-2007 23:57Profile PM Edit Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
EditedEdited by mattyboombatty
You may not be able to detect a reasonable brackish salinity on a hydrometer (if that's what you have), especially the swing arm types. They really aren't very useful as I've found out. A good refractometer can read from 0-100 ppt. Saline water will be around 35ppt and brackish can be anywhere from .5 to 30 ppt. Fresh is considered below .5 ppt. Your hydrometer may only read above specific gravity of 1.015 or so, which is already 20 ppt salinity.

Scats migrate to full saltwater as they age, so they will do better with a higher salinity. Your "freshwater puffer" may actually be a freshwater fish and need to be in a separate tank. We might be able to help you out if you can get a pic.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 30-Apr-2007 20:17Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
Kudos: 1350
Votes: 730
female australia au-victoria
Thanks Matt. Will try and get a pic of the fish. I got worried because that particular tank I knew they kept as brackish for scats, but no one could tell me the last time they checked the salt, and I know at cleaning time it has only had freshwater for the last few months.
I wish I was there more often, I go in once a week and always end up running around to fix the problems that no one has bothered to attend to.

Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Post InfoPosted 01-May-2007 00:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies