Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeBringing home a GSP and feeding
spankym13
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 56
Votes: 1
male usa
Well I'm ready to go and bring home my green spotted puffer! But wanted to check and see how to introduce it to my tank and how to go about feeding and what to buy.
Post InfoPosted 14-Jan-2008 21:25Profile PM Edit Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
I think snails are a good food source, and if you happen to have a tank full of them, or some of them, then i guess you should feed them every once in a while. I am not sure as to how often though.....I just know that they need a hard thing to chew on to keep their teeth in check.

More people will have a better response to this. Good Luck!

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 14-Jan-2008 23:02Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Acclimation should not be different from other fish, though granted if your tank is brackish and your store is fresh, a drip method to introduce water to the bag might not be a bad idea. To do a drip acclimation, put the fish in a bucket, and star a siphon from the tank into the bucket with a piece of airline tubing, then tie the tube up to reduce the flow to about at least a drop per second. Salinity is a little more fine tuned than some of the other water parameters, so a slow acclimation may be worth it to prevent stress.

In respect to feeding, throw the snails in as often as possible, if you have them. Puffers naturally feed on larger invertebrates and have their dentistry specifically adapted for crunching through shells, be they molluscan or crustacean. Like rodents that should be kept with cardboard so that they can wear down their teeth, puffers should be fed hard materials that they must crunch through to keep their teeth from growing too long; I have heard of "puffer surgery" where some people have had to go in and cut the teeth down themselves, but IMO this is too much stress, both on the fish and on the fishkeeper. Remove leftover shells that may contain small chunks of meat to prevent putrification; seafood becomes ammonia and other nasties just about instantaneously when they're rotting.

All that is stuff I've read, anyway... I haven't actually kept puffers.

Buy a fish that looks healthy, pure and simple. A healthy puffer is active and exploratory. Fins might be frayed due to behavior between puffers, but avoid fish that have raggedy fins. Basically, don't buy a fish that appears sick or diseased in some way.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 14-Jan-2008 23:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies