L# "How to Cycle Your Aquarium in 24 Hours"
 Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribe"How to Cycle Your Aquarium in 24 Hours"
Krash7172
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 47
Votes: 3
I got a catalog with that quote on the front cover this week. It is from a company that I have purchased from. Makes me want to not use them anymore

I've posted about using established filters to cycle a tank in less than a week but this is getting bad. I tried buying beneficial bacteria once and it was worthless.
Post InfoPosted 18-Mar-2009 08:27Profile PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I had a big problem years ago a nasty came through my water supply killed all the good bacteria and too many big fish.
I had been using a USA product once opened must be kept in the fridge. It was unobtainable at the time and I needed some thing strong NOW. I was told to get Seachem Stability and double dose for a week plus Melafix to lower the stress on the remainder of the fish. From the day I added Stability no fish lost.

Several years later I had to replace a broken tank I had saved less than 50% of the water. The substrate had to be washed which meant no good bacteria there. I still had my Eheim Pro11 going. I reset the tank up fast once I put the substrate in every thing was just put in very quickly. We are talking about a 5ft new set up now with just the good bacteria in the Eheim.
I double dosed with Stability for a week also Melafix less feeding and no lights for a week.

I NEVER lost a fish so some thing worked and it was Seachem Stability. I did a filter cleaning two weeks later and removed a lot of gunk, double dosed again once only.
From that day onwards I always add a standard dosage of Stability at every water change and a double dose at the filter cleaning.
It was explained to me that good bacteria has a short life span and it mutates its self and very quickly the good bacteria you started of with is nothing like the bacteria you now have in your filter.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 18-Mar-2009 10:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Krash7172
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 47
Votes: 3
I agree that with atleast some bacteria, you can quickly establish your bio-filter with the right conditions. My 75 has 4 biowheels. I can take 1 out and simply let it float in a new tank. The bacteria will populate the new biowheel and will cycle in days rather than weeks. You still need to stock slowly as always.

These guys are implying that you can buy a brand new tank and stock it 24 hours later with a single dose of this product.

I guess it can't hurt. Better than someone going home with nothing but a new tank, food, and a dozen fish...
Post InfoPosted 18-Mar-2009 20:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
These guys are implying that you can buy a brand new tank and stock it 24 hours later with a single dose of this product.

It must be a fantastic product or very good "Snake Oil"
The tank could have a small stocking of fish used to cycle a tank eg Zebra Danios

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 19-Mar-2009 02:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Optimusprime
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 5
Votes: 6
male canada
What does this Stability consist of ?

"All water has a perfect memory and is forever trying to get back to where it was."
Toni Morrison.
CHECK MY PROFILE FOR PICTURES.
Post InfoPosted 30-Mar-2009 03:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
EditedEdited by keithgh
Seachem would be the only ones to give you that answer, that is if they decide to. All I know is that it worked for me when I had two big problems
WWW.Seachem.com

Look here for my

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 30-Mar-2009 06:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 30-Mar-2009 06:50
This post has been deleted
Cup_of_Lifenoodles
---------------
Fish Guru
Kudos: 1957
Votes: 30
male usa
Those bottled products do not work. You'll inevitably have a massive die off during a readjustment period (that is to say, you're far better off taking some conditioned sponges from a separate tank), not to mention that nitrogen cycling is far too complicated to maintain itself in a bottle on the shelf for god knows how long. Furthermore, nitrosomonas and kin are slower to adjust and divide than their nitrifying kin, meaning you end up with a spike of nitrite, regardless. Furthermore, it is impossible to maintain a culture that is uniformly adaptable in all ranges of water chemistry "as soon as you add" said culture.

Stick with used filter media and drippings if you want to cycle a tank fast. You can most certainly cycle a tank within a day just by swapping filters.
Post InfoPosted 05-Apr-2009 08:30Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies