kitten
----------
Fish Guru
Meow?
Kudos: 2194
Votes: 19
female usa
Meow!

So, long time, no see... how's everyone doing?

Over the past few years, my tanks have slowly tapered off until I get to start from scratch again. Multiple moves and general busy-ness have not been kind to my tanks, unfortunately. However, I've started getting things back on track.

I've replaced gravel (hated that way-too-yellow-toned gravel), bought some new plants and introduced a few Harlequin Rasboras. One immediately pulled a Houdini, but I've got four remaining and they're looking good. Tank levels are good and we've been up and running for a week or two. General plans are to add to the rasbora school and get a Gourami of some sort (rather leaning towards a Pearl, but we'll see), of course a few cories. I want to keep things pretty simple, really.

Plants include various anubias and crypts, and some stem plant that I have to sit down and identify. Hardware is all the same, except for a new heater. Lighting is self-ballasted CFLs, about 2.5 wpg. I've got a chunk of driftwood to add in, just have to soak it for a while. pH is high in my area, so hopefully that will slowly bring it down.

I'm pondering a dwarf pleco, but not sure what variety to look at. I've had bristlenose previously and want something different. Maybe a clown?

In any case... I'll post pics later if you like. Just thought I'd say hi.

~Meow. Thus spoke the cat.~
Post InfoPosted 07-May-2012 19:40Profile Homepage AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi Kitten,
Welcome back! We look forward to seeing the pictures and the evolution of the tank.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 08-May-2012 01:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
kitten
----------
Fish Guru
Meow?
female usa
So it's not that I don't love y'all, but that I'm plagued by some nasty algae at the moment. My tank is not in viewing shape. Got a lovely combination of brown algae and thread algae going on.

Current occupants of my tank are seven rasboras, is pretty much where that school is staying. Once I figure out this algae thing, I'll look into cories and a gourami. I miss the antics of my cories!

Any ideas on getting rid of the algae? Once I get this cleaned up, I promise I'll take pics.

Post InfoPosted 09-Jul-2012 13:44Profile Homepage AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
It sounds like you would need to get a handle on the nutrients in the tank. Hair/Thread algae grows best in nutrient rich waters. Brown algae is usually an outbreak of diatoms caused by low light, areas of poor circulation, and above all, in water with plenty of silica in the water.

A good physical cleaning of the water and the gravel would probably do best. Using a Python type gravel vacuum if you have one, and cleaning a quarter of non planted parts of the tank with each weekly water change of 50-70% of the water should soon get a handle on the problem.

Here is a link:
http://www.otocinclus.com/articles/algae.html

Frank

Post InfoPosted 12-Jul-2012 05:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
kitten
----------
Fish Guru
Meow?
female usa
You're awesome, Frank. I had that link at one point and apparently it got lost somewhere.

Post InfoPosted 12-Jul-2012 15:07Profile Homepage AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
kitten
----------
Fish Guru
Meow?
female usa
EditedEdited 15-Sep-2012 15:58
Ages later, I finally come back with a pic. Sorry! Things are looking good... seven harlequin rasboras seem happy and healthy. I just added two skunk cories last night (last two the LFS had, will add more, probably another motley cory crew.) I'm thinking a pearl gourami to kind of be the centerpiece fish and then the tank will be stocked.

The algae is still hanging around, phooey on that, but it's getting better. Was cleaning and found a stash of fake plants, which is why things are looking so lush. Probably about 75% of the foliage is fake, but you know what? I can handle that. There's some anubias and crypts in with everything else, but I'm not going to attempt more until the BGA is gone. And hey... why mess with a good thing, anyway? Looks good to me.

Would help if I put in the picture link, hmm? http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a156/ccatclaws/20gal09092012.jpg

Post InfoPosted 15-Sep-2012 15:12Profile Homepage AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
male usa us-colorado
YIKES!!!
Its BEAUTIFUL!

Have fun Kitten

Frank

Post InfoPosted 17-Sep-2012 14:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies