Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribe6 Foot Tank Specifications
ClownyGirl
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 311
Votes: 5
female india
It's time for me to start planning my new 6 footer for the clowns. In my new house, the wall I want to place the tank against is exactly 6 feet, so I might get my custom tank to be a few inches shorter so the cabinet and everything can fit against the wall.

Alternatively, I can place it against the wall opposite the french windows but that totally seems to ruin the room decor, so what are my choices.

I did like to do a 6 foot long and take a few inches off, maybe about 3 or 4 inches, or I dont mind a different shape that gives me 150 - 180 gallons.

Would be happy to hear all of the suggestions and advice, I have 23 clown loaches and some zebras and skunks that will move into this tank.
Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2007 10:57Profile Yahoo PM Edit Report 
Gone_Troppo

----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 196
australia au-northernterritory
Can I suggest instead of along the wall you place the tank at a 90 degree angle to it, sort of as a room divider?

We made the mistake of putting our 6 foot tank against a wall (and in a corner) and it is a pain in the backside to maintain. If it weren't such a mission to change it, it would have been moved long ago.

It is almost impossible to clean the dust bunnies from behind and underneath the back of the tank, it's difficult to plant anything along the back wall and unless you have a good algae eater to keep the back glass clean you almost have to live with the growth on it. Also, it's difficult to check cords and piping for wear and tear if they run between the back of the tank and the glass.

Admittedly it does look good - we don't use a background because the pale blue wall behind the tank works well, and it looks as though the area the tank is in was built specifically for it (ie it does not look like the tank was added as an afterthought).

Another consideration for the placement of such a large tank is proximity to a water source and drainage point. You don't want hoses running through the whole house every couple of weeks for waterchanges (or even worse, have to lug many, many buckets of water great distances). Ours is right near a doorway so come waterchange time the gravel vac is attached to a piece of hose draining straight out the door into the garden and refills are done with a garden hose.

You should also check that whatever filtration you use fits nicely underneath the tank. Given your description of the location you are thinking about, you don't want to have to have a canister on the floor or need to hang a HOB on the front of the tank beacause they won't fit under it or you haven't allowed enough space behind the tank to accomodate them.

Best of luck with whatever you decide - a well done 6 foot tank is a beautiful addition to any home and your fish will love you for it.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2007 16:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
monkeyboy
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 375
Votes: 223
male usa
I have my 150g about 8" off the wall here and never have a problem doing anything. Its got enough height under it, that I have a 40g under it and both of the canisters for it.

but i would agree, best place would be like a room divider, as long as no kids would be in there near it messing around.

Fish tanks are an expensive addiction
Post InfoPosted 15-Mar-2007 02:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ClownyGirl
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 311
Votes: 5
female india
EditedEdited by clownygirl
What are the length x breadth x height dimensions? And what kind of filteration do you use.

The tank will have a beautiful hand carved wooden cabinet with modern interiors and the canister will go in the cabinet which is going to be specifically designed for it. What kind of constraints should I keep into account for the cabinet.

The wall is exactly 6 feet and that's my problem. I might end up making the tank around 5.5 feet. The living room isnt that big, so making it a divider is not really a choice. I am going to end up getting some good algae eaters. I know what you are talking about because my 4 foot 79 gallon is against a wall and I am facing the same problem, but the room is not big enough to divide. I live in a new york like city with 10 times the population and houses that are half the size

Would a 66 inches x 30 inches x 30 inches tank be too box shaped? Saw a planted one on AGA the other day with 69 inches in length and it didnt really look bad.

Can the two of you post pics of your tanks with stands please?

My choices are the first tank in the pic below called the partition tank, which I will just have to put against the wall (no choice)

http://www.marvelaqua.com/about.htm

or the tank on the top left in the picture below. I know it's too tall, so I will have him reduce the height and add cabinets below.

http://www.marvelaqua.com/products.htm
Post InfoPosted 15-Mar-2007 07:09Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
monkeyboy
----------
Fish Addict
male usa
72inches long x 18inches wide x 28inches high

for outdated pics, go to my profile, then my photobucket page. then all of my 150g pics are under 150_setup

Post InfoPosted 16-Mar-2007 18:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ImRandy85
---------------
Enthusiast
Bleeding Blue
Kudos: 137
Votes: 75
male usa
What about something like this?
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e237/imrandy85/aquarium/customtankdesign.jpg

You could either stick it in the corner or have one end of it stick out into the room. If you have it stick out into the room then it seems like it would be a little easier to clean.
Post InfoPosted 16-Mar-2007 23:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Gone_Troppo

----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 196
australia au-northernterritory
EditedEdited by Gone_Troppo
tank = 72 x 24 x 24 inches (but the timber stand that it is on extends the total length to 73 or 74 inches long) It is an open pine stand that we have made curtains for (attached with velcro tape to the stand) so all the necessary junk that lives under the tank is not quite so visible.

I have borrowed a camera to try and get some pics of the tank, but as we don't have decent lights over the tank none of the pics are turning out to a standard that I would like but here's the link anyway: http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s250/Gone_Troppo/fulltank.jpg

Will keep trying to get some decent shots. The tank doesn't look anywhere near as dark in reality but it's making for a good case to spend some $$ on more lighting!!

We have a Jebo 819 canister which does not fit under the tank so it sits on the floor at the end and an aquaclear HOB which hangs on the end of the tank (extending the length required). Luckily that is an area with little traffic so it doesn't stick out too bad.

GT[link][/link]

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Post InfoPosted 17-Mar-2007 04:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
monkeyboy
----------
Fish Addict
male usa
troppo... by the looks of that tank and the measurements, thats larger than a 150g. i was guessing myself and saying 200, but when i used the sites calculator, it came up as around 180.

i think my measurements r off. i am hunting down a ruler now.

Post InfoPosted 17-Mar-2007 17:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Dolf
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 180
Votes: 46
male usa
Can you remove the wall completely and replace it with the tank and cabinet? I removed the dividing wall between my living rooms and replaced it with a 8 foot, 300g tank. I built the cabinet to match the rest of the woodwork in the house. It actually saves space because it intrudes only a little into each room instead of sticking out into just one.
Post InfoPosted 18-Mar-2007 20:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi Dolf,
That would make for some good pictures in a thread.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 25-Mar-2007 22:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies