ImRandy85
---------------
Enthusiast
Bleeding Blue
Kudos: 137
Votes: 75
male usa
EditedEdited by ImRandy85
I'd like some small schooling fish for my 38 gallon planted tank. Current occupants are 2 platies, 3 siamese algae eaters, keyhole cichlid, a curviceps, otocinclus and 2 arched cories. I plan on getting more cories when I decide which kind I want. I have black neons in another tank and I'm not very fond of them. They're a nice looking fish but they kind of just hover in one place all the time. Another factor is that I have really hard, very well buffered, high pH water. I was thinking of some kind of tetra, danio, rasbora or barb. What does everyone think?
Post InfoPosted 12-Dec-2007 05:16Profile PM Edit Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Nothing beats danios in terms of activity, they'll just keep moving around all the time. The added benefit is that danios are generally surface fish and so they'll hang out in that space where most of your other fish only go to when you're feeding them.

Up next would be Tiger barbs. I don't have them myself, but watching them get snippy is definitely more interesting than a group of fish hanging motionlessly in the water. Tetras and rasboras, unlike danios, are usually rather chill and hang out.

In defense of tetras, however, I do have to put forward the Bleeding Hearts, Rosies, Black Phantoms, and similar species where the males will grow large fins and compete with each other. Let me tell you, two male Rosy Tetras swimming side by side sizing each other up is probably the best thing I've ever seen from a characin.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 12-Dec-2007 05:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
you could try some tiger barbs or some gold or cherry barbs. they tend to be more aggressive though and might nip at your platties and low tempered ciclids.

if you do try it get smaller specimens that will be more intimidated by the larger fish...

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 12-Dec-2007 05:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HelenC
-----
Hobbyist
Votes: 0
female australia au-victoria

Something a similar shape and size to Black Neons is Red & Blue Colombian Tetras. They are spunky little fish. Mine race up and down my six footer and watching them work themselves out to turn around and then getting up the courage to be the first to scoot down to the other end can be very entertaining.

They are also easy to breed if you have lots of java moss.
Post InfoPosted 13-Dec-2007 04:16Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
I have a school of Tiger Barbs, and a school of White Cloud Mountain Minnows... Both species are very active, especially the Tiger barbs. I love variety so I have regular Tiger Barbs, Albino Tiger Barbs and Green Tiger Barbs. They chase each other around the tank, and are always up to something... fun fish to have, and pretty easy to keep!

The White Cloud Mountain Minnows don't mind the chasing and nipping,a dn they are nice to look at as well... I have gold and regular WCMM's.

good luck!
Post InfoPosted 13-Dec-2007 04:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Two Tanks
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 328
Votes: 13
female usa
Tetras prefer soft slightly acidic water (could explain your black neon's boring behavior)and so do rasboras (harlies). The book I have says that danios don't have any particular requirement. Cherry barbs prefer soft water and so do tiger barbs. Platies do better in harder water, but aren't really schooling. Your hard water and high PH is perfect for some other cichlid species however. Many species of rainbow fish are schooling and prefer hard water and higher PH, and just might (I think) work out well with your other fish. I hope this helps.
Post InfoPosted 13-Dec-2007 08:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
EditedEdited by longhairedgit
In that tank , dwarf neon rainbows would be perfect, they stay out of the way of cichlids and arent the risk to platys that barbs can be.
Post InfoPosted 13-Dec-2007 16:07Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies