Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeAhhhhhhhhhh!
Inkling
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 498
Votes: 11
female usa
Ew. I came home for the holiday weekend, and I'm at my parents house until Monday morning (really early). I sleep downstairs with thier 20g tank that is in a horrid condition. The glass is practically green. I'm thinking of doing them a favor and cleaning it for them, what would be the best way to do that? It probubly hasnt been cleaned for quite some time. Also, I'm thinking of getting them an alge eater, either a rubber-lipped pleco or a brittle nose pleco to take care of any alge that I dont get in my cleaning. Is this a good idea or a bad idea? A quick reply is needed here, as this tank is pretty bad! Thanks a bunch for the info!

Also: stocking is A ton of guppies and a male betta.

Inky
Post InfoPosted 15-Apr-2006 17:11Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Report 
Garofoli
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 143
Votes: 27
male usa
You could get a rubber Pleco, I have one, But they grow to 12in. You might want to get an algae brush and just rub it off and then siphon the tank.

Chris
Post InfoPosted 15-Apr-2006 17:30Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Inkling
-----
Fish Addict
female usa
I thought rubberlipps grew to about 5". Anyway, After taking out the decore of the htank and the in-tank filter I found:
4x Male Guppies
1x Small Female Guppy
1x Betta

There is room to stock. Also is there a good alternative to an alge scrapper I can use? You cant see into the tank from any of the sides....

Inky
Post InfoPosted 15-Apr-2006 17:49Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
If it's glass and not acrylic, you can use a razor blade to scrape off the glass.

><>
Post InfoPosted 15-Apr-2006 17:52Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Inkling
-----
Fish Addict
female usa
Unfortunatlyits glass. I guess Im gunna have to run to WalM*** real quick, which will also give me an excuse to see whatt they have available ^_- Hopefully I can save their aquarium for under $20.00 USD

Inky
Post InfoPosted 15-Apr-2006 18:09Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
female usa
Ok then, you can use a razor blade. Acrylic is softer than glass so steel can scratch it easily, but with glass you shouldn't have a problem.

><>
Post InfoPosted 15-Apr-2006 18:22Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Inkling
-----
Fish Addict
female usa
I dont think my parents have any extras Looks like Im goin shopping either way. I am grateful for the tip though, since I am constantly loosing my scrapper at my apartment.

Inky
Post InfoPosted 15-Apr-2006 18:24Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 7215
Votes: 1024
male malta
After cleaning the tank, i would add a BN, so at least it wouldn't be full of Algae next time.

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/s8xi5heh/my_photos
http://www.geocities.com/s8xi5heh/classic_blue.html
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/buzaqq/
http://www.deathbydyeing.org/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corydoras/
Member of the Malta Aquarist Society - 1970.
http://www.maltaaquarist.com
Post InfoPosted 16-Apr-2006 18:49Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
OldTimer
---------------
-----
Mega Fish
USAF Retired
Kudos: 1294
Votes: 809
male usa
My question would be, "Are your parents taking care of the tank and as such the health and well being of the occupants with regular water changes, etc.?"

It doesn't sound like they are to me, so would introducing another fish, and a pleco at that, as they are huge waste producers, be a very good idea?

Sounds as you need to educate them a little on the proper and regular maintenance so as to keep what stock they do have healthy. Otherwise, just adding a pleco is not going to solve the tank maintenance problems, it's just going to add to them.

Jim

Water, taken in moderation, cannot hurt anybody. -- Mark Twain
Post InfoPosted 16-Apr-2006 19:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
Kudos: 1350
Votes: 730
female australia au-victoria
I agree with Jim. I can appreciate that you dont want to see your parents fish suffer but will they start looking after the tank just because you've cleaned it and added a new fish? Do they know the basics of keeping fish happy?
I'd spend your $20 on something else, they dont seem to be very interested in maintaining the tank.

Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Post InfoPosted 17-Apr-2006 04:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
seedkiros
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 270
Votes: 8
male canada
I agree with the two posts above. If they cannot keep the fish happy then they shouldn't have anymore fish added.

Besides, if it's completely covered in algae (the glass) then tehy must not even look at it often. So...algae is only bad because it's ugly (correct?), otherwise its beneficial in a tad bit. They must not look at the tank often, so I'm assuming it doesn't matter. Unless the tank is horribly, horribly cluttered with algae inside that prevent the fish swimming around and what not, then clean the tank. A pleco won't even save the tank if it's that bad.
Post InfoPosted 17-Apr-2006 08:12Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
crusha
----------
Enthusiast
Fish Geek
Kudos: 183
Votes: 102
female australia
Im probably too late with this idea for getting the algae off, but try the edge of a credit card, that works really well also.

Those who say they cant, Never will !!!
Post InfoPosted 17-Apr-2006 11:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
I'd only add extra fishes to that aquarium if you're going to take over its maintenance on a regular basis. Because if your parents have let it descend to that state, chances are they're beyond redemption even if you try and shame them into getting off their backsides and maintaining it ...

First step, remove excess algae. If the aquarium is glass sided, you can use an angae scraper with added razor blade. Another good item to obtain is a nylon pan scourer - but make sure before you use one of those that it's a plain pan scourer and NOT one with added pan cleaning chemicals or that will see the poor fish off in no time!

I use nylon pan scourers with added sponges. Requires some effort if you're removing spot algae that's welded itself to the glass when using one of these, but they work well.

If you're going to commit yourself to taking over the maintenance of this aquarium, then I'd suggest Otocinclus as your algae eaters, because they will place FAR less loading on the filter than a Bristlenose. In fact, if you decide to get Otocinclus, leave some of the algae for them to munch, and watch them smile back at you for doing so!

I'd also give that aquarium a big water change and a thorough gravel vac ... chances are when you do, the water coming out of the siphon tube will look like farm effluent if that aquarium has been neglected as badly as you describe, so be prepared for a smelly couple of hours' work!

And to think I consider my fishes to be neglected if they only get a gravel vac once a week instead of twice a week ... sheesh

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 17-Apr-2006 14:40Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Inkling
-----
Fish Addict
female usa

it was pretty stinky. I've discussed it with my dad, and I may be taking his guppies (I found out there are 4 and one small female left) and my sister taking the betta. I cleaned most of the alge, (wanted to get the sides but didnt have enough time but I got the worst areas, there is just a little left in the corners) Im going up there next weekend and Im bringing my gravel pump. I should have anouther couple of hours work ahead of me.

I usually go up about once a month and I'm going to start doing most of the care for the tank. My parents know how to do water/filter changes so hopefully it will work out, if not I can relocate the fish to one of my 4 aquariums that are already established.

I think the main problum, to be frank, is that they have had the guppies for about four or five years and are bored with them. I know thats not really a good excuse, but hopefully if I move the guppies and get them something neat, they may be a little more pleased with thier tank.

Inky
Post InfoPosted 17-Apr-2006 21:36Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
I've had Cardinal Tetras for eleven years and I'm not bored with them ...

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 17-Apr-2006 21:47Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Inkling
-----
Fish Addict
female usa
I still love the guppies (there a fancy/cobra mix) but some people are like that.

Inky
Post InfoPosted 18-Apr-2006 00:36Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
NewBreeder16
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 94
Votes: 16
male usa
The betta might attack the male guppies.
Unless they are a kind without flowing tails.
Good luck with the cleaning and tell us how the rubber pleco turns out.
-New

Post InfoPosted 20-Apr-2006 14:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Inkling
-----
Fish Addict
female usa
The betta has nipped at the guppies, but right now there is a TON of hiding places for the guppies and in the hours I've spent with the fish, I have only seen this once. The betta seems sluggish for a betta, but this could be the water.

I did a water test and was shocked. The Nitrate level was really high, and the pH was at 8.5. Most of the alge I scrapped off last week is starting to grow back, so I have to compleatly change the water. Hopefully, I'll get the guppies and set them up with something that is better for them.

Inky
Post InfoPosted 22-Apr-2006 20:06Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
female usa
Don't change all the water at once because dramatic changes in water quality will shock your fish. At most, try a 30% twice daily water change if you can be at home for long enough to do it. Changing from that water to clean water with a different pH all in one go could easily kill your fish from shock.

><>
Post InfoPosted 22-Apr-2006 21:11Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Inkling
-----
Fish Addict
female usa
I did the water changes last weekend, but I did another 30% change the other day. I also added a little bit of pH lowerer and Nitrate eliminater to the water (not too much just enough to bring it down a little) I used just a little of each and tested the water shortly after, The pH is down to 8, and the Nitrates are down from 200 to 100. I figure if I do another treatment in a few days, they should be able to adjust? Or is that enough for now? I am doing the changes as slowly as possible for the fish, and I definitly dont want to harm them.

Inky
Post InfoPosted 22-Apr-2006 23:39Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies