AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# General Freshwater
  L# Angels and Rainbows..together ?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeAngels and Rainbows..together ?
itsjustme1966
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 36
Votes: 1
female canada
would I be ok housing 4 angels and 8-10 rainbows
Rainbows being, Red rainbows, turquise ,Boesemani rainbows?
It is a 77gal, 4 foot tank, height 2 foot+..and deep
thanks Sue
Post InfoPosted 29-Oct-2008 05:58Profile PM Edit Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
4 ft x 2 ft x 2ft is a 120 gallon tank.

I don't think there would be any problems.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 29-Oct-2008 18:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
steven1982
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 74
Votes: 38
male canada
I would think that the tank is 48' long X 21' deep and 18' wide as this would make about 77 gal and be more of a standard size tank.
You have to measure twice as Shingami is a little bit of a math whiz when it comes to tank size.
Post InfoPosted 29-Oct-2008 23:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
It is not only the size that counts it is areas where the Angels will feel safe when they want to start breeding the will become extremely protective of their own territory. This means plenty of planting including a good mix of plants including, floating plants

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 30-Oct-2008 02:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
itsjustme1966
-----
Hobbyist
female canada
Hello.. just measured.... 48 long x 24 deep x 16 wide..
77gal is what I ordered.. so it says..
I was a little off the first time..
Im not over loading the tank with decor.. lots of plant, on both sides, area in the middle will be open. Hoping I will be successful at growing plants.. 2 bulbs..power glo 54w T5 H0 18,000k and life glo 54w T5 H0 6700k..
Im new to the plants. well as far as really trying to grow them..
I would like to have 4-5 Angels...main fish in tank..maybe no rainbows and just go with 4-5 gouramis..would that work better..
I guess as Im setting up before the fish are purchased I will have pics to post so I could see, and you to see ,give me a better idea..of what space being left..
I dont want to go nuts at first.. I want to add bit by bit..
with a big tank, well bigger than what Ive had before, I would like to see enough fish but happy fish and if going with the Angels means not to many other species, thats ok.. my heart is set on them..if only one other say the Gouramis.. so be it.. gezz does that make sence..
Im all ears anyone can add..
Rainbows I think are to active a fish..for angels..
Sue
Post InfoPosted 30-Oct-2008 05:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
You have a 77g empty tank but by the time you add all the bits and pieces especially the substrate you will be far less than what you think.

The exact capacity is a must when it comes to medication and using any plant ferts.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 30-Oct-2008 08:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Hey, I've got many of the standard tank sizes up here in my noggin. But I have to admit that FP has a handy-dandy tank volume calculator if I don't remember.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 30-Oct-2008 19:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Krash7172
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 47
Votes: 3
EditedEdited by krash7172
I have 3 boesemanis and 2 angels along with a number of other community fish in my 75. No issues at all.
Post InfoPosted 30-Oct-2008 23:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
itsjustme1966
-----
Hobbyist
female canada
Thanks everyone.. Yes Im looking at what space will be left after all decor is in, on what would work best in the tank.
Ive seen ppl and heard when they keep adding new fish to a tank that has been up and around for quite sometime, that they experience fish loss, fighting, yet there tank was fine before.." oh its those fish I added".."they have killed my ?" " havent lost a fish for 2 yrs in that tank"
etc.. Well I think its mother natures way of saying Its balanced.
If you have a tank running well for so long,with no problems, my advise is.. dont add that one more ,cause thats all it might take to throw it off..
thanks Krash7172 , should I only keep 2 angels myself?
Were those the only 2 Angels you had to begin with,or have you lost any in your tank? and I know its going to differ from fish to fish.. just curious.
Sue
Post InfoPosted 31-Oct-2008 06:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Krash7172
-----
Hobbyist
I'm only several months into my community tank. The rainbows and angels are still fairly small. I have about 30 other smaller fish like tetras plus a BN and YoYo loach. I honestly can't comment on what number to keep. I prefer 2-3 larger fish of varying color patterns as a focal point. I had a pair of green and gold severums in college. Was REALLY hard to choose community fish over cichlids but I'm really happy with my tank.
Post InfoPosted 31-Oct-2008 06:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
itsjustme1966
-----
Hobbyist
female canada
thats what Im kinda looking to do.. 2-3 larger fish, being Angels for a focal point... would go more but I think more than a few would suffer greatly. I am going to go with 3 med to lg Angels, if one suffers I can take it back to the store no probs. and then 2 it will be..especially if I get 2 that pair off.. Im not looking to breed though.
heres another question: what would I add first ..say I want 4 Gouramis, 6-9 shoaling fish, Congo tetras and Diamond tetras ( rainbows im still iffy about) so replaced with tetras..and my upsidedown cat, and my 2 clown loaches..what would you add first?..never the most aggressive right?
thanks for the info you have given me everyone so far..alot of it is what I might have already thought it to be the right move ,but sometimes its good to hear from others..
Krash you must miss your Cichlids I had Cichlids once and soon will have them again..
Tks Sue
Post InfoPosted 01-Nov-2008 06:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Krash7172
-----
Hobbyist
I like to have a backup plan. I also have a 29 with some fantails that will be moved to my new pond when they outgrow it. The 29 loosely serves as a spare / quarantine tank so to speak. I can put troublemakers in it until I decide what to do as my community tank evolves. I'm trying hard because my wife insists on salt water if I fail!
Post InfoPosted 01-Nov-2008 06:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
add schooling fish first. they will better keep the cycle going, but add them at 3=4 at a time, not too many.

I would suggest you get like 4 or five small angels and allow a pair to form, then once a pair forms take the others back (you'll probably get more credit or money for the larger ones anyways!) TBH angels and gourmis sounds a bit much for territorial fish unless you did some neon dwarves, but they are more aggressive than angels IMO.

I would say get the tank cycles and get some plants growing and a semi scape going (if you dont have a plan yet). add the tetras, the shoaling fish, the loaches and bottom feeders, the angels and if you still wnat them, the gouramis. just add things slowly and steadily as not to cause another sycle or stress the habitat too much. also all the time keep lots of plants and deco in there to keep the cycle going properly and the fish happy (weiht hiding spots)

with a tank that big and a slow communtiy growth i would reccomend a QT tank so you can keep the healthy one healthy and the unhealthy ones out. just get a bucket or cheap 10gallon set up with some deco (some pots and fake plants will do, no substrate) and allow the new fish to sit a week and move them over and you can start over again.

take it easy and plan it out, impulse buys usually lead to some sort of disater (trust I've done it numerous times killing the new or the old fish just beacuase I saw a couple fish i liked and wanted).

I'm sure you can do wonderful things with the tank! Tell us everything you do so we can help you maximize you tank and fish life as well as keep your spirits high and you tank pristine!

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 03-Nov-2008 07:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
itsjustme1966
-----
Hobbyist
female canada
Hi everyone..thanks for the advise.. slow is better..
I have an idea of what Id like the tank to look like..so go from there, hoping to accomplish thatin time.
Im sure weve all had those tanks with a plan and never ends up that way..well I have..lol
Yes looking at growing plants, which Ive never really taken time to do in the past properly, so I will be as Im getting it started, posting in planed threads for some help.
thought so.. shoaling fish first/ bottom feeders..
I think while having now a bigger tank I can add so much, but thats not always the case.. I admit Im anxious ,but settling a bit now....
If its Angels I want I must work around them..So putting the fish aside, im going to concentrate on the plants/substrate now

thanks for the advise all..
Its going to be a week or so before posting in planted treads..getting the tank in position and figuring out how to get my Python/siphon to attatch to the kitchen tap.
We redecorated the kitchen this past summer and the tap might not take the attatchment??.. so looking into that now..should work somehow..were just missing something, have to look closer at the conection..
sue
Post InfoPosted 03-Nov-2008 16:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
itsjustme1966
-----
Hobbyist
female canada
Hi everyone..thanks for the advise.. slow is better..
I have an idea of what Id like the tank to look like..so go from there, hoping to accomplish thatin time.
Im sure weve all had those tanks with a plan and never ends up that way..well I have..lol
Yes looking at growing plants, which Ive never really taken time to do in the past properly, so I will be as Im getting it started, posting in planed threads for some help.
thought so.. shoaling fish first/ bottom feeders..
I think while having now a bigger tank I can add so much, but thats not always the case.. I admit Im anxious ,but settling a bit now....
If its Angels I want I must work around them..So putting the fish aside, im going to concentrate on the plants/substrate now

thanks for the advise all..
Its going to be a week or so before posting in planted treads..getting the tank in position and figuring out how to get my Python/siphon to attatch to the kitchen tap.
We redecorated the kitchen this past summer and the tap might not take the attatchment??.. so looking into that now..should work somehow..were just missing something, have to look closer at the conection..
sue
Post InfoPosted 03-Nov-2008 16:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies