AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# General Freshwater
  L# Argh!! Is my angel trying to make guppies extinct in my tank?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeArgh!! Is my angel trying to make guppies extinct in my tank?
Rookie_Boy
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 55
Votes: 0
male uk
I Know angel are naturally predatory in nature, but.. This is taking it over the top a bit.
I have a batch of 5 fry, which is in a 5g,
I have another batch of 8 fry in a net breeder, with 1 week old with them.
I keep trying to realease the largest one of the 5 into the 29g, it is a about one inch long.
The angel hunts it out and chases it down, but fortunately She has'nt caught the lucky little female fry,
Before the batch of 5 was a batch of 15! I realeased a inch long fry a month ago, I thought it would be fine. But.. the angel hunted it down, chomped the head off, then ate the body, And the rest were the angel unlucky dinner.

Argh!! what can i do??

Thanks in advance,
R_Boy
Post InfoPosted 12-Sep-2006 20:50Profile PM Edit Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
Basically, all you can do is wait for the fry to get larger before adding them to the tank, or get rid of the angel. For as long as the fry are able to fit into the angel's mouth, it's going to be like setting up a buffet.

Joe Potato
Post InfoPosted 12-Sep-2006 21:36Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
Kudos: 1997
Votes: 670
male usa
I guess this is why they warn that adult Angels should not be with Neon Tetras, as the will eat them. And I also guess that is why there is a saying (although it does not always fit, IMHO) that "All fish will eat all fish if they fit in their mouth".

Not much you can do, except either separate the fish into two tanks or give up on having guppy fry

Ingo

Proud Member of the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club
Post InfoPosted 12-Sep-2006 22:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Rookie_Boy
-----
Hobbyist
male uk
Okay, Will wait until the fry are bigger.

R_Boy
Post InfoPosted 12-Sep-2006 23:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
That's to be expected. As said most fish will eat any other fish that fit in their mouths but angels are often recommended for livebearer tanks to keep the population in check. When they see livebearer fry they go on search and destroy to eat every last one. They've also been known to kill and attempt to suck fry through breeding nets. You will have to keep the guppies in a seperate tank until they are pretty much full adult size before they will have any chance of surviving with the angels.
Post InfoPosted 13-Sep-2006 03:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
In short the answer is a big yes.
Those small guppies are just like a meal starter. You will have to wait until they get larger and by that time they will also be breeding and providing more food for them. If you have a lot of plant cover eg water sprire it will save a few but certainly only a few will survive.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 13-Sep-2006 07:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Rookie_Boy
-----
Hobbyist
male uk
Yeah.. Just had five guppies born.. yay, Lucky i put the mother in the breeder box,

R_Boy
Post InfoPosted 13-Sep-2006 19:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies