L# Bullrout
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeBullrout
Patchy
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 195
Votes: 0
dont know how many aussies are lurking around here but if there are and you have info on where i could find a couple of bullrout please let me know im very interesting in getting a pair.

thanks in advance
Post InfoPosted 14-Oct-2007 17:36Profile PM Edit Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
You actually want a 30 cm semi-brackish, semi-migratory fish with seriously venemous spines? Like a challenge then?.lol.
Post InfoPosted 15-Oct-2007 01:00Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
I'm not sure you stop at "challenging" for a fish that under painfulness of it's sting lists sedation at a hospital as potentially necessary treatment and resulting in symptoms that can last for days or weeks. There is some comfort in the fact one site says no deaths have been reported. So I guess it doesn't quite rank "suicidal".

From what fishbase says it seems to survive complete freshwater just fine for it's whole lifespan. It even says they can breed in freshwater.
Post InfoPosted 15-Oct-2007 01:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
EditedEdited by longhairedgit
youre right of course , sculpins are tough, but they catch them in freshwater, more commonly estuarine situations all the way through to fully marine, so im assumming most people will do the molly thing with them, ergo, just chuck a couple of teaspoons of salt in and hope for the best.

Oh did I mention they can be territorial as hell, and are also problem feeders ignoring anything but live foods a lot of the time, although oddly enough in the in nature and the aquarium they do sometimes tolerate the presence of large crayfish in their territory.

A fun fish for those of a sado-masochistic bent.lol. Id recommend 99.9999999% of fishkeepers stay the hell away from them though.

Post InfoPosted 15-Oct-2007 03:13Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Patchy
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 195
im well aware of their nasty potential. i have been a lionfish and stonefish keeper for last 11ish years. i just cant afford the up keep of so many SW tanks anymore so thought i would give these guys a go.
Post InfoPosted 15-Oct-2007 04:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Some people keep the darnedest things.
I hope you have no children around that tank, and
that you are very careful with your hands and the
fish while working in the tank.

http://www.scu.edu.au/schools/ncm/staff_htm_files/bullrout.htm

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 15-Oct-2007 08:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
North Queensland
Small Fry
male australia au-queensland
EditedEdited 23-Nov-2012 01:38
Abit late, i collect bullrout when the creeks here dry to puddles and they are stuck, just last night i caught 7 in 1 waterhole, 3 adults and 4 baby's, i have been keeping this fish for a while now and i find that for 4 baby (up to 10cm) fish a 2foot tank is enough, with sand, some water plants in the corner and a few crystal rock for them to hide near and give good colour, they will live in freshwater their whole lives, brackish and salt water ones have dull dark colours, for adults however you can only keep 2 in a 2 foot tank, so i keep my adults in a pond, its a 1.5m tyre, 1.3m deep (its am old tractor tyre cemented at the bottom, it has 14adults and they never fight, mine eat baby rainbow fish, freshwater prawns and small yabbies, you can also handle these fish as the wild ones i catch i catch by carefully putting my hand under their belly and lifting them out into a container, if you are slow its fine, if you flinch or move fast they rear up, i have never been stung, however a few of my neighbours have been while swimming, overall they are far easier than rainbow fish and about the same as gudgeon to keep, providing your not an idiot.
Post InfoPosted 23-Nov-2012 01:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies