Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeCase of the disappearing tetra
dancin_hippo
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 8
Votes: 1
Hi folks,

My existing tank had two Bristlenose Catfish, and one Tiger Barb (previously had a school of Barbs, but over the years they've died off, presumably from old age!).

Anyway. Yesterday I bought a school of 6 Neon Tetras to fill out the tank a bit. This morning, I've woken up to find only 5 Tetra's. There is no sign of the 6th.

So what do you think is the most likely culprit? The Tetra is definately not in the filter (too big to get sucked up). I thought perhaps that one of the existing fish might have tried to attack a Tetra (although yesterday they didn't seem at all agressive). But even if they did attack the Tetra, surely there should be some remains left? Are Bristlenose/Barbs carnivores???

Have I made a mistake putting these little guys in there?

Thanks,
Keith
Post InfoPosted 02-May-2010 22:38Profile PM Edit Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Hmmm, I don't know about barbs, but it's certainly not the bristlenoses. However, they are scavengers, and will eat a tetra that has already died. A barb could probably also pick at a dead body. Death could've been caused by either the tiger barb being nippy, or possibly just because they were new fish.

Did you check around the tank? Sometimes fish jump.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 02-May-2010 23:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
dancin_hippo
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 8
Votes: 1
Thanks for your response Shinigami. The tank has a glass covering over most of the top, so it's unlikely to be a jumper...though I've just now double-checked to be sure, and definately no fish around the tank.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to wait and see how the remaining 5 go.

Cheers,
Keith.
Post InfoPosted 03-May-2010 01:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
I'd also agree with the barb possibly just being too nippy. I've seen regular attack and kill a green tiger barb when not in a full school. If yours is by itself it may be striking out at other new introductions.

Putting a neon up against lonely tiger barb that's used to being on his own and ruling the roost and I'd say the barb took out the tetra.

I'd make sure you have plenty of hiding places in the tank for the remaining tetras to hide out it. Plenty of plant cover, it might give them an upperhand against the barb. If you do have a different tank for the barb (or the neons) to go that might be your best bet.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 03-May-2010 01:33Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Sorry to say but I think the Tiger Barb will slowly go through the Neons possibly one a night and the Bristlenose will snack on what is left and that is the reason you will not find a missing one.

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 03-May-2010 03:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
orangeLJ
Small Fry
Kudos: 0
Votes: 0
male australia au-newsouthwales
There is always the odd occassion when fish that "shouldnt" get along, do get along though.

I found my Bristlenoses attacking my neons years and years ago, when the lights were off, and the neons would drift near the bottom, if the bristle noses were feeding/forraging they would try and go for the neons.

That aside though, they are VERY efficient at removing remains of dead fish, especially smaller ones. They can remove the average tetra overnight.
Post InfoPosted 19-May-2010 01:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
Having had Tiger Barbs galore, I'd say the Neon was either sick and died, was then eaten by the Tiger or that the tiger nipped at the Neon enough to kill it. I'd say the Tiger Barb is the likely culprit. They are relentless, especially when not in a school of 6 or more.
Post InfoPosted 23-May-2010 15:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies