AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# General Freshwater
  L# Changing out the Filter Pads...
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeChanging out the Filter Pads...
m_acontreras
Small Fry
Kudos: 17
Votes: 2
male usa us-texas
EditedEdited 21-Dec-2009 05:18
Hello All,

I have a question about changing out the filter pads of my aquarium filter assembly. I'm no sure what kind of filter you would catagorize it as, so I will try my best to describe it for you...It runs along the entire top of the tank (length wise) and has a pump that suck water out of the tank into the filter itself. After leaving the pump it pours on to some filter pads that sit on top of each other. After the filter pads, the water then flows across some porcillan tubular like things (not sure what they're really called) and then out the other side of the filter back into the tank.

Well, my question is, the filter pads are quite dirty and I would like to replace them. I've read that it's a good idea to just rinse them off in some old tank water and put them back in the filter body. However, I would like to replace them entirely with some new pads. How can I do this without entirely messing up the benificial bacteria bed.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated...

MLC
Post InfoPosted 21-Dec-2009 04:32Profile PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
m_acontreras

If they are very dirty am I correct in thinking that they have never been washed?
The small HOB filter for my 45Lt is washed weekly, and the filter pads in the Eheim Pro11 for the 5ft are washed monthly.
Regardless of filter size, type, or brand they must be washed regularly in the old tank water. This does not remove or kill your good bacteria. Washing it in clean tap water will remove most of the good if not all of your good bacteria.

Now for the replacement.
You could safely replace 50% of the filter material at one time and replace the remaining 50% at least two weeks later.
At every water change/filter cleaning I add the recommended amount of Seachem Stability this keeps your good bacteria in the original healthy state. I know there are many products around that do a similar job but the Seachem Stability is a far superior product and costs just a little extra, it's well worth the extra cost.

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 21-Dec-2009 05:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
m_acontreras
Small Fry
Kudos: 17
Votes: 2
male usa us-texas
EditedEdited 21-Dec-2009 06:10
Kieth,

You would be correct...the pads have never been washed. And I like your suggestion of replacing half the filter at a time. I'll give that a try...

Thank You for the quick response!!!

Michael
Post InfoPosted 21-Dec-2009 05:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Replacing them slowly is the best option the way Keith mentioned. Before replacing I'd rinse them both in old tank water, then waiting a week or so before replacing one, then another week+ before replacing the other. My reasoning for this is to minimize the stress on the bacteria in the tank.

How old are these filter pads to have gotten this dirty?

Regular pad rinsing keeps the filter working more efficiently and your tank healthier, and of course means longer between having to buy new pads and saves money .

^_^

Post InfoPosted 21-Dec-2009 10:50Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Ira
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 181
Votes: 1
male newzealand
I've never seen any kind of filter sponges that need to be replaced. Just give them a good wash and they should be fine unless they're actually falling apart. I'm sure you'd rather spend the money somewhere other than on overpriced opencell foam.
Post InfoPosted 21-Dec-2009 14:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
Are these filter pads a songe like material or like a plastic backing with some carbon inside and a fabric like on the outside? If it is the latter I'd suggest just taking one out at a time with at least a week in between, if the first i'd suggest just giving them a good rinse in some tank water and put them back in. Just keep up on the rinsing one at a time when you do a Water change.

hope that helps!
-Brandon

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 22-Dec-2009 08:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Ira, some of the cheap 'entry' filters in the us use the cartridge type system. My first HOB was like that. The carbon was packaged inside the floss of the filter and so you had to replace the whole thing every few weeks.

Needless to say, as soon as I learned a thing or two (from here of course !) I ripped open a cartridge and replaced it with one of my own creation using spare foam blocks.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 23-Dec-2009 00:17Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies