Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeExpiration Dates
amackattack
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 84
Votes: 0
male usa
Can anyone tell me if the chemicals used for freshwater tanks expires? I "inherited" several chemicals a while back that are a few years old. The ones that had exp dates I ditched already, but some have no dates on them.

The chemical list:
Algae Fix
Waste Control
Salt Level Test Kit
to list a few. I think there may be 1 or 2 more, but can't remember what they are.

Thanks again for the info.

amackattack

What is the best way to ditch these if they are bad?
Post InfoPosted 02-Feb-2010 05:38Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
They do degrade as they age, and usually they are stored badly too which can make then degrade faster than the expiry date would suggest.

I would not rely on test kits that are out of date and require chemical reactions as they are likely to be less than accurate. Unless you can test it to make sure it is correctly calibrated, I'd ditch them.

The Algae Fix and Waste Control are not things that I use, but I wouldn't imagine they'd have too many problems other than being less effective. I'd be wary of using them though, just because if there is a problem, you could stuff up your water. If you had many tanks that were lightly stocked or not stocked, you could test, but if you only have one, I'd leave them alone too.

Other thing to watch out for is if they've gone off and are full of bacteria, or if they shoot your ammonia level right up.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 02-Feb-2010 09:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I think if you look closely at any chemical supplies for fish tanks will have a UBD.
I do know that test kits as they get older they become more unreliable in their results.

In your case use the old safe method "If in doubt toss it out"

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 03-Feb-2010 01:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies