Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeFeeding Dwarf Puffer
smapty
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 64
Votes: 7
male usa
I have a wonderful dwarf puffer but wondering if anyone would have an ingenious way to feed them blood worms? Usually I feed him a few but they float away before he can get to them. Any suggestions?
Post InfoPosted 03-Jul-2006 18:28Profile PM Edit Report 
bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 4173
Votes: 452
male usa
not sure of what i had, but i believe it was under fresh water dwarf puffer,, n.e way i had alot of sucess feeding them brine shrimp.
Post InfoPosted 03-Jul-2006 18:41Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
sirbooks

---------------
---------------
----------
Sociopath
Kudos: 5164
Votes: 932
male usa us-virginia
You could use a small turkey baster to suck up a quantity of worms, then use it to feed him a few at a time. You'd need to thaw the worms in a cup of tank water first and get some water in the baster with the worms.

And when he gets to Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell: "One more Marine reporting, Sir! I've served my time in Hell."
Post InfoPosted 03-Jul-2006 19:19Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
AggieMarine
---------------
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 229
Votes: 12
male usa
I used to feed mine in the corner of the tank where there wasn't much current with some live plants under it. The puffer noticed the routine after a while and always went there to feed and I never had much of a problem with any of his food floating away, and when it did, it got stuck on plants and he made his way to it eventually anyway.
Post InfoPosted 03-Jul-2006 19:36Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
smapty
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 64
Votes: 7
male usa
Yeah I have also heard of using a tube stuck down into the tank but I am not sure how that works.
Post InfoPosted 03-Jul-2006 20:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
AggieMarine
---------------
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 229
Votes: 12
male usa
Yes, you can use silicon tubing to do it that way, but sometimes stuff gets stuck in there, or the puffer tries to swim up it. They're very curious critters, especially when a new strange thing shows up that's dumping food into the tank.
Post InfoPosted 04-Jul-2006 17:29Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
To feed all slow moving fish, inverts, and frogs I stick the bloodworms in a cup with a little tank water, set it on the lights, and came back when it was completely thawed. Then sucked up a clump into a small dropper. When you squeeze the dropper slowly the bloodworms move toward the end and you can get some stuck there with the ends sticking out wiggling in the current. Most will bite off that but you may have to be patient the first time while they figure out if you and the dropper are dangerous. The other suggestions I saw on the puffer forums was to grab the bloodworms in a small pair of tweezers and wiggle them in the tank. Also many turn down or off their filters during feeding.
Post InfoPosted 04-Jul-2006 21:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies