L# Fish tank stocking
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeFish tank stocking
CrimsonaX
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 57
female australia
Just been curious as to how my tank stocking is, and if there's any future problems perhaps arising from the assortment.

60Ls of water:

1 BN catfish - Female
1 Mystery Snail
4 Tetra - Gloweye (3 adults + 1 baby)
2 Guppy - Both male
1 Ram - Golden ram
1 Halfbeak

I guess my concern is that it may be slightly overstocked or too overstocked, so far no wars have broken out and Id love to keep it that way =)
Post InfoPosted 18-Feb-2009 01:06Profile PM Edit Report 
Gourami
---------------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 477
Votes: 1
male usa
Everything sounds good except the half beak. Its gonna get alittle too big for that tank and a few of those fish will end up on the menu.
Post InfoPosted 18-Feb-2009 08:15Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
CrimsonaX
-----
Hobbyist
female australia
EditedEdited by CrimsonaX
I know they get to 7 cms, so will he even have a mouth big enough? Those tetras will be a few cms in itself. As for my surviving baby tetra he's in a floating mini tank until he's a nice size to be off the snack menu.

I've fallen in love with an albino BN but I think that would definantly throw my tank into overload.

Though if the halfbeaks a slow grower I may be able to relocate him in a few months as my friend will be setting a larger tank =)
Post InfoPosted 18-Feb-2009 08:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Gourami
---------------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 477
Votes: 1
male usa
I would not recommend two BN in that small of a tank, they make just too much waste.
Post InfoPosted 18-Feb-2009 22:00Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
You seem to still be in the
I've fallen in love with
stage with a small tank and it will not work

I will try to explain it this way.
BNs big waste
Snail certainly a big waste
Tetras prefer to be in a bigger school
Guppy colourful but again would look better in a bigger school
Ram a pair is always better or a small school depending on the variety.
Halfbeak no way in that small tank.
You have not mentioned filtration type and size, plants live or fake,
All this helps especially with a small tank.

I have a 45lt and some would say its over loaded or pushing it a bit too far.
But what I have is Cardinal Tetras, Cherry Red Shrimp and four Khuli loaches None of the inhabitants are big wasters. The Shrimps and the Kulis clean up all the uneaten food plus keep the tank clean.

The filtration is for a 60lt tank and I have added a prefilter giving me more filtration. This is pulled down and cleaned weekly. I also do a 15lt water change weekly.

Plants 90% planted waiting for 30 more Crypt Nevilli (a very small grower). I also have a small air line at one end of the tank under the heater.

To me the smaller the tank the greater the challenge to keep it perfect. It was about 35 years experience before I started that tank and I called on every bit of that plus a lot of research and help from FP to get it right.

Buying and looking at your tank is the easy part getting it right without having problems is the hard part.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 20-Feb-2009 01:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
CrimsonaX
-----
Hobbyist
female australia
Should I add in a few more tetra? I don't want to overload but I'd love to have a stocked tank too =) just as long as it works with the space
Post InfoPosted 20-Feb-2009 10:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Should I add in a few more tetra? I don't want to overload but I'd love to have a stocked tank too =) just as long as it works with the space

To be honest you can do that easily BUT and a very BIG BUT something has to go.
I personally would not advise or recommend any thing for that tank unless I knew a lot more about it.
If I remember you have problems with that tank several times. If you have mentioned about your filtration system I have forgotten (old age)
I would like to know "every thing about" that tank before I could say with safety do this or do that.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 20-Feb-2009 10:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
CrimsonaX
-----
Hobbyist
female australia
This is my fairly new larger tank =) only problem with it was the PH which is slowly going up with some careful monitering.

But if its too much a hastle Im happy to leave it as is.
Post InfoPosted 21-Feb-2009 03:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies