---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Ok, it's been a while since I've had a fish problem I couldn't handle myself, but our new balas (see thread here) have not eaten since they came home

The tanks been fed a variety including algae bottom discs, flake, sinking pellets, frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp. The balas simply do not react at all to the food, a piece will wander past and they wont even twitch towards it. The other fish all do the usual feeding frenzy gobbling up pieces left right center but the balas just sit in the corner or glide past.

It's been over a week, and I'm starting to worry.

Any thoughts?

^_^

Post InfoPosted 27-Sep-2009 22:02Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
EditedEdited 28-Sep-2009 02:12
wiggle factor? live blackworms maybe?

Are you feeding at/after lights out? Sometimes that helps skittish ones

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 28-Sep-2009 02:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Only having one Balas left it is still a guts when it comes to food. He could still be stressed out partially if there is a lot of movement/noise around the tank and no hiding place mine hides in the large Anubias most of the day.

My Balas loves frozen Blood worms and fresh Lambs Fry (liver) in fact all the fish go crazy over it. I would try about 1/4teaspoon squash it up then cut it up. I use it really but only on a Sat because next day is water change day.
I agree will Cal if he is spooky try feeding with the light off. Have a look at My Profile and it will give you a list of various foods I have tried over the years. Mine also loves a very ripe pear core tie it up with a piece of strong fishing line and suspend it about mid water. Cooked Pea, corn, and carrot also a good food.
That tank is big enough get him a few 3-4 mates.

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 28-Sep-2009 03:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Well they still havent even reacted to the food.

I make sure I'm very still for a while before I add the food then remain still afterwords. There's no regular noise where they are except for the one hour Adam spends on the treadmill. We'll be moving this weekend and that will no longer be a factor (till we move again )

Everyone else took to the peas (of course ) I'll try some carrot today, have some I pulled from the garden a few days ago (before Adam moved all 6 tons of it).

We leave for the US in two weeks, we're going to hire someone to come feed the fish but I doubt they'll know anything about fish...this is just bad timing at this point

^_^

Post InfoPosted 06-Oct-2009 21:54Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Babel
This is the sort of answers I would be giving a new-be but it sounds silly giving it to you.
Looks like you have tried every thing and if that is the case it could still be stress.
Have you got plenty of cover for them caves, plants to hide in and under. Mine hides most of day. I am sure you do not have any other fish in that tank that could be causing that but stranger things have happened to so called quiet fish.
I once had a RTS which sent mine crazy even though it was half their size.

The other thing I know we have all said this over the years have you contacted the previous owners to see what they have to say?

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 07-Oct-2009 06:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
Would garlic be worth a try at this point? It isn't great for them, but could work as an appetite stimulant if nothing else is working for you.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 07-Oct-2009 08:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Keith,
I'll have to redo the tanks when we move this weekend, unfortunately it's all fake plants as the silver dollar tends to eat anything and everything live. With the move I'll get more hiding spots for them.

I have been watching the tank carefully, the only fish that approaches them is the silver dollar to hang out.

Calla,
I've been thinking of that as well, might try that the day before the move.

Just when you think you know fish they go and do something like this. So frustrating!

^_^

Post InfoPosted 07-Oct-2009 10:23Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies