AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# General Freshwater
  L# How many neons in a closely monitored 55g tank?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeHow many neons in a closely monitored 55g tank?
daddySEAL
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 68
Votes: 3
male usa
EditedEdited by daddySEAL
I watch my water nitrate levels closely and have way more that the 1" per gallon "rule" (about 50...along with a few other 2" fish (8)

I like the "cloud" of neons when they school together.
Aren't neons a relatively low impact fish?

Could I safely have 15 more, as long as I watch the water and do frequent partial changes?
Post InfoPosted 17-Jul-2008 22:06Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
EditedEdited by Shinigami
The 1" per gallon rule is not a very good one, but usually it's because you can't get anywhere near it, especially with large fish. With small fish this is not as much of a problem.

That said, let me ask you: are you going to be able to tell the difference between 50 and 65 neon tetras? Adding 15 is a big difference if you only have 15 fish, but if you have 50 already the difference is much smaller. The fish won't be able to tell, I can almost guarantee it (according to recent scientific findings on mosquitofish). It could even be difficult for a person to be able to see much difference, without taking freeze frames and counting it out.

IMO with proper maintenance you could have 15 more and maintain good water quality. However, will the neons have very much room to swim? This is the other side of the coin with stocking. You can only have so many fish as there is room for them to swim.

I hope you don't get neon tetra disease because that'd just nuke your tank...

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2008 00:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
well ur already pushin the limit by a lot but i dont think 15 more would be to bad but u need to do like water changes like every 2 days cuz ull be supprised how much waste that they an prouduce so just watch that and i think it will be fine just watch the tank the best u can!
Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2008 00:44Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
daddySEAL
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Yes, I watch the water (and test it) about every other day.
Changing it when indicated...so far about once a week.

Yes, I could tell the difference of 15 more neons...and the little fish seem happy with lots of room in my 55g tank.

Please tell me about neon tetra disease??
What does it look like, please??

Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2008 04:30Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
well all i really know about it is that its fatel to all fish but it happens when related neons breed some time and they start to lose color on the tail and starts to spred all over the whole body thats all i know and have experinced it!
Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2008 06:17Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
It doesn't have anything to do with inbreeding, it is a sporozoan parasite. Here is the profile.

><>
Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2008 06:27Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
daddySEAL
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Can I buy Waterlife products like the "Protozin" in the US anywhere online...Please??
Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2008 19:33Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
Not that it will cure NTD in the tetras themselves. Might clear the water of it, but NTD still has no cure inside of a fish's body, and any fish with it will remain a source of contagion for as long as it lives, and if you used protozin 24/7 for the life of the fish you'd cause respiritory distress, and massively increased cancer rates in the fish that did survive treatment. Been there done it, didnt work. No-one has a cure for it yet. Protozin is "optimistically packaged" in regard to that particular claim. Protozin is god for many protoazoa, fungi, and a few basic bacteria, and most of the regular external protozoan parasites, but it will not stop NTD.

Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2008 23:48Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
One way not to have the Neon disease (it was a problem when I started 35+ years ago) and is still a problem today.
That is dont buy them, buy the Cardinal Tetras instead.

OK they are going to cost more to start off with but over the long term it will work out a lot cheaper, less replacements and no or extremely little medications.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 19-Jul-2008 05:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
daddySEAL
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Cardinals are pretty hard to find most of the time here.

I'm feeling much better about my neons since I installed a UV Sterilizer last weekend.

Are you saying that Cardinal tetra don't get that disease, please?
Post InfoPosted 23-Jul-2008 22:36Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
No DaddyS
What I am saying and many Aussies are saying the Cardinals here are a far stronger fish than the common Neon Tetra. The Cardinals can also cost 3-4++ more as well. The last lot I saw were about A$4.50 for small ones

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 24-Jul-2008 05:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
H-Dub
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 19
the only tetras known to get NTD are neons themselves..
I';m sure you could add more if you wanted.. just make sure to QT them for at least a month.. and know that if you do get NTD your tank will more than likely be wiped out..
Post InfoPosted 27-Jul-2008 07:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
Actually, Plistophora hyphessobryconis, the microsporidian parasite that is the causative agent of Neon Tetra Disease, has been recorded as affecting other fishes apart from Neon Tetras, but Neon Tetras, at least the current cultivated stock, seem to be particularly susceptible to an outbreak.

For safety's sake, an aquarist should consider that any of the popular characins are capable of being affected by this disease, on a sliding scale of probability. Neons are at the top of this list as the most likely to be affected, and Cardinals are capable of being affected too, but are usually much more resilient to attack.

I wrote a piece about Microsporidian diseases some time ago here.

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 30-Jul-2008 12:16Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
H-Dub
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 19
wow thanks for the article I will make sure to read it on my next break at work!
Post InfoPosted 30-Jul-2008 18:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies