AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# General Freshwater
  L# I have a 14 gallon tank.... get this..........
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeI have a 14 gallon tank.... get this..........
Jimbooo
----------
Small Fry
Kudos: 3
Votes: 1
male cyprus
EditedEdited by Lindy
About 8 months ago I set up a tank about 14 gallons (55litres). I cycled the tank, tested it and eveything was perfect. Ready to stock a couple of fish.

I explained my situation to the LFS, that I had just setup a new tank it has cycled and I am ready to add a couple of fish in, and being the fool that I was, partly due to ignorance , and partly due to being excited , the guy sold me 4 white cloud, 2 gold killi fish, 4 angel fish, 2 platties and 1 bristlenose catfish. Now if that isn't overstocking I dont know what is. I feel terrible now, the angel fish are growing large and there is only 1 and a half lengths between there hanging fins and the top of the tank. I have to get a new tank. The fish seem to be quite happy, they are eating well, Im changing the water regularly a vaccuming regularly. I feel so terrible for being foolish and putting so many fish. Get this.... the guy at the LFS said "is that all you want today??!". He said I could keep over a dozen fish (small fish, platies etc) in the tank, and if I wanted more to buy a bigger filtration system. On top of things, he said fish eat there own , so dont worry about feeding them regularly.

the earlybird gets the worm.... but the second mouse gets the cheese...
Post InfoPosted 20-Mar-2006 23:50Profile PM Edit Report 
Inkling
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 498
Votes: 11
female usa
In order to keep all your fish you would need AT LEAST a 90gal. Angelfish are best kept 30g for ONE angel. I think you should take some of the fish back to the store. Your tank is WAY WAY to small.

A good stock list for a 14g would be:
3 platties
1 bristlenose catfish
either the 4 white clowds or the 2 killis

Inky
Post InfoPosted 21-Mar-2006 00:09Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Jimbooo
----------
Small Fry
male cyprus
EditedEdited by Lindy
The Angels are very aggresive and territorial.
I am a fool. And what a shop! Just to make a sale.

Post InfoPosted 21-Mar-2006 00:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
illustrae
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 876
female usa
Oh, that's too bad...
Well, definitely start by finding a new home for the angels. Either take them back to the LFS, give them to someone with the means to care for them, or set up a new tank for them (a 55-65 gallon tank would be the minimum for all 4 angels).
As long as there is good filtration and you do water changes, the tank will still be heavily stocked with what's left, but it could be manageable.

If I were in your shoes, I'd get myself a larger tank (a 65 gallon tank is good because it's tall for the angels and has as much surface area as a 90 gallon tank, so it can stand a higher bioload) and then sell the smaller setup on Ebay to try to make up a little bit of your losses. If that isn't an option, then start by getting rid of the angels and you should be okay from there.

Hoping that there must be a word for everything I mean...
Post InfoPosted 21-Mar-2006 17:35Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
Kudos: 1029
Votes: 35
female usa
Yes, some LFS will sell you way too many fish for a small tank. You just have to research first so you know how many fish is appropriate for your size tank. Researching will save you lots of money and time and will help you out in the end.

I second inkling and illustrae's suggestions. Either rehouse the fish with people you know can appropriately care for them or get a much larger tank. Sooner is better than later.

You will soon have problems if you don't already. You could end up losing a lot of the fish.

Now that you know how this LFS is, please research next time so you will know which fish you can have and how many. Good luck!

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 21-Mar-2006 18:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
BlackNeonFerret
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 137
Votes: 30
female uk
We all make mistakes at first, i mean, i nearly (but didn't) stock my 15 with

1 Snakeskin Gourami
7 Cardinal Tetras
3-5 Tiger Barbs
2 Corydoras catfish
1 Shark Cat (the saltwater, 1' ones)

uurr....

Well, as far as your problem, try to sell of the Angels and BN. I don't know about the killies. Also, i would check the sexes of the platies. i had a m/f pair, and the male harrassed the female to death, then i got a new male, and the new harrassed the old to death. So, if i were you i would go with maybe the 2 Platies, 5/6 White Clouds and about 2 or 3 Ottos

Post InfoPosted 21-Mar-2006 20:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Inkling
-----
Fish Addict
female usa
I would also complain to the manager (tastefully!) and let them know that this isn't a very ethical way to sell. Thats just me though.

Inky
Post InfoPosted 21-Mar-2006 20:55Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Jimbooo
----------
Small Fry
male cyprus
I have complained, and Im not going back there again.

Haha oh well. I found a much better aquarium to buy from, honest, clean, and they give you the right advice.

cheers

Post InfoPosted 22-Mar-2006 14:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
rjmcbean
----------
Hobbyist
Like a Farmer
Kudos: 75
Votes: 415
female usa
Did you try to return the Angel fish at the LFS you bought them from, or just go complain?

Just wanted to know. I have never returned a fish to the LFS here but I have seen it done. People are scammers sometimes though and some LFS's are not so nice about it.

What's the new set up?

"it's the neck, it creaks under the weight of too much heavy thinking."
Post InfoPosted 23-Mar-2006 15:33Profile AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Inkling
-----
Fish Addict
female usa
I try not to return fish myself, but I am a very um, precautious person? The only time I return is if the fish died within the guarentee (unless it was me who did something stupid)

I think that with your stock list you have a perfectly good excuse to go and buy nice 100g ^_^

Inky
Post InfoPosted 23-Mar-2006 17:20Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies