AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# General Freshwater
  L# I'm the proud owner of 70 fishies! :D But..
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeI'm the proud owner of 70 fishies! :D But..
Rookie_Boy1
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 27
Votes: 0
But the problem is they're all in a 29g together.
eek!
There's
4 neons & 3 glowlights,
1 angel,
4 cories,
5 khuli loaches,
1 german ram,
6 adult platies (2M 4F though the red boy will only mate with the red girl, while the black and white won't mate any of the girls.), two juvenile platies, 5 older babies living in the floating plants, 10 babies born a few days ago in a plastic breeder.
5 adult male guppies, 3 adult female guppies, 3 juvenile females, 5 older babies (One of them's the one who only got 1 eye.) 1M AND 4F, and two younger babies, Both F. and 4 babies that are two weeks younger than the younger babies. and now 5 newborns that I caught and put in the plastic breeder a few hours ago, It was only after catching them & putting them in the plastic breeder I decided to do an head count and this is the result!! EEK!! I'm sure there are more newborns hiding in the 29g.
and 1 BN.. it's only an inch and half at the moment.
It is seriously & grossly overstocked! isn't it?
They seem fine, I do 20% WCS twice per week.
I've just been so busy with my exams, other pets that I didn't notice the population boom.
What would you do in my situation?
Thanks.
R_Boy1
Post InfoPosted 02-Jun-2007 21:26Profile PM Edit Report 
BlackNeonFerret
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 137
Votes: 30
female uk
Well, firstly tetras need to be in groups of 6 minimum, so i'd either keep the neons or the glowlights, boost up the groups to about 10 and rehome the others. Then the cories (you don't say what type) and the loaches also like to be in groups. I think the khuli group is ok (but i don't know much about loaches, although i know the botias love groups, khulis aren't botias) maybe get another. Again, boost up one group and rehome the others. (Cories min 6 for big ones and about 8 preferably for the smaller ones like pandas) As cichlids are territorial i would go with either the angel or the ram (I'd go with the ram as his/her size is better suited to the tank)and rehome the other. Keep the BN. With the livebearers ....... you have lots of babies that will need new homes soon. I'd probably just keep one group of adult livebearers, the platies or the guppies. Maybe even rehouse all the livebearers i'm not sure.

So that would be 1 BN , 1 Ram, 10 or so tetras, 6-8 cories or loaches
i'm not sure about the livebearers or whether that will be pushing it a bit.

Or just get a really big tank

But that's just me.
Post InfoPosted 02-Jun-2007 21:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Rookie_Boy1
-----
Hobbyist
Well, before I did have 6 neons & 6 glowlights.. 3 of the glowlights have died due to old age. the two neons died,
One got crushed behind a rock when it floated behind the rock while sleeping, the other got sucked against the filter.
the cories -- one is an albino, the other 3 are jullis.
I've decided to get rid of the angel.
I have a 55g, that will hopefully be set up sometime soon, the cories will be moved into it and have their shoals filled out.
I'll get 4 more neons & keep the glowlights until they die, cos they're pretty old & I think wouldn't survive an rehoming.
Maybe I'll move some of the livebearers to the 55g too.
Thanks BlackNeonFerret.
R_Boy1
Post InfoPosted 02-Jun-2007 22:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
In my opinion you "could" have two choices a live bearer tank only but beware there will be a massive population explosion in the very near future.
Or slowly replace the Neons and the Glowlights with a larger school of Cardinals as they are far hardier than the Neons. Certainly keep the Kulies but give them plenty of low plant cover they love it. My kulies swim all over the front of the tank most of the day in the Betta tank most of the day
Also I think the Cories would blend in as well but I am not 100% sure of that

The G Ram, I have not had them for too many years but what I know some can be very terorital.
I would also think of getting one good M Betta he would love a tank that size.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 03-Jun-2007 03:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Dangerous Dave
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 179
Votes: 3
male australia
Hi,

Once the angel gets a decent size, it will most likely take care of the tetra, platy and guppy populations.
You could just wait for that to happen!!!
Post InfoPosted 03-Jun-2007 12:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Rookie_Boy1
-----
Hobbyist
Yeah I could but I really want to keep the guppies & platies, & tetras.
The angel is already big enough to chase down and eat guppy & platy fry and has been doing so, so that why I've put the fry into plastic breeders, otherwise all the fry would be gone in a couple of days, the angel is that GOOD.
I now have another newborn.
I don't like bettas.. Really?
I heard that neons are hardier than cardinals not the other way around.
R_Boy1
Post InfoPosted 03-Jun-2007 13:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 03-Jun-2007 13:27
This post has been deleted
BlackNeonFerret
-----
Enthusiast
female uk
With the betta thing, they do like bigger tanks. They CAN live in smaller tanks, doesn't mean they like it.
As for neons being hardier than cardinals, i don't know. I think cardinals are hardier (at least that's what i've heard) but if you like the neons then stick with them.
Also, with the current overstocking it probably wouldn't hurt to let the angel eat a few fry, otherwise you're going to end up with loads of platies and guppies and no where to put them. (What a shame, you'll have to get a bigger tank )
Post InfoPosted 03-Jun-2007 18:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Rookie_Boy1
-----
Hobbyist
EditedEdited by Rookie_Boy1
Lol! I've got 5 tanks already, four of them empty.
I know but I still don't like them, I suppose you're right about letting the angel eat a few but I can't decide which ones to feed to the angel.
R_Boy1
Post InfoPosted 05-Jun-2007 19:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
BlackNeonFerret
-----
Enthusiast
female uk
Unless theres any you really want to keep for breeding purposes, then you could probably put them all in the tank with some floating plants or something and then the fittest will survive - they're the ones you really want anyway.
And if you don't like bettas, i think the best solution is don't get one.
Post InfoPosted 05-Jun-2007 21:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies