AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# General Freshwater
  L# Intermittant blacklight use bad for fish?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeIntermittant blacklight use bad for fish?
daddySEAL
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 68
Votes: 3
male usa
EditedEdited by daddySEAL
My new 6 foot tank has a hood capable of using multiple flourescent lights.

If I used one of the spaces for a blacklight to be used intermittently, would it be harmful to the fish?
(there will be no live plants in this tank)

Could I use it along with the regular flourescent bulb at the same time to accent to colors of fish (temporarily)?

Post InfoPosted 05-Aug-2008 17:52Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
EditedEdited by longhairedgit
The intensity of blacklights is too hard for most reptiles let alone fish, you'd cause them eye problems, and degredation of the slime layer and dorsal surfaces, blanching, loss of osmosis etc. If you want try that sort of thing a balanced reptile bulb like those used for reptiles would be better,but still not a great idea. Uv induced tunours could be a possibility. Some fish take UV better than others, but IMHO its better not take the risk, I tried such things in my youth, a few times it even reversed the odd nutritional related deficiency, but since I have better mastered my trade I realise its much easier and safer to fix such issues nentirely nutritionally. While rainbowfish etc were fine with very short exposures, many other fish were not, developing cancer prematurely, though granted not that prematurely, but the death rate via cancer still increased.

Theres a lot of evolutional difference in fish tolerances in this regard, most fish ritually habituaute to avoiding direct sunlight anyway, it gives away their position to predators from above and most water a few feet deep shields them from the worst effects of the light intensity, in aquaria that are less than 3 feet deep its not a good idea. Their natural exxposure tolerances would not be a mirror of even an hours daily exposure to a UV strip. Stick with non uv emitting tubes.

Blacklights do not replicate the overall light emission of the sun anyway, they are a concentrated and far more harmful version with a very narrow light frequency. Its more like a desert sun than a tropical sun, and the damage much more intense. Even desert reptiles cant take it for long. A fishs UV blockers in the fats under the skin and scales wont be up to dealing with that in 99% of species. Pure UV blacklights dont really have a use in aquaculture or herpetology beyond aiding reptiles with MBD, and they are not the same as regular maintenance balanced reptile bulbs, and should be used for probably less than one hour a day even when actually needed in emergencies. Seen many reptiles in shocking skin and eye condition when kept under UVB blacklights for too long. Just choose a bluer light colour of bulb, they are available, try marine moonlights or similar.

Just too powerful im afraid. Bit like a granny on a sunbed for too long, gonna get skin cancer, fact of life.

Post InfoPosted 06-Aug-2008 00:23Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
poisonwaffle

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 591
male usa
I had a blacklight on a tank with some Glo-Fish (and other danios, and some corydoras) for a few weeks... I only used the blacklight for max of 1/2 hour a day whilst showing off the glo-fish to friends and whatnot, but I took the blacklight off when the fish were noticeably less healthy after a few weeks. They lost a lot of color, were a little less active, were hiding a lot more often, etc.

I'd stay away from blacklights on your tanks
Post InfoPosted 06-Aug-2008 02:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
BLACK LIGHT

If this is what you are referring to I certainly would not be using it in my tank at all.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 06-Aug-2008 05:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
daddySEAL
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 68
Votes: 3
male usa
EditedEdited by daddySEAL
OK keithgh,
It just sounded like an interesting idea.
But nothing is worth hurting my fish, just to accentuate their colors.

thanks,
dS
Post InfoPosted 15-Aug-2008 22:17Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies