SubscribeMold like stuff on food bits
m_acontreras
Small Fry
Kudos: 17
Votes: 2
male usa us-texas
EditedEdited 04-Dec-2009 12:30
Hello All,

Ok so I filled up the tank (200 Liter) and started the fishless cycling process just over a week ago...I have been using fish food to get ammonia to build up. As of yesterday, the ammonia level was at .5 ppm...Today I was just looking inside the tank for no particular reason and noticed that there appeared to be what looked like mold/fungus growing on what might be the bits of food lying on the aqua soil substrate. The tank has taken on some what of an odor also. Can anyone tell me if this is normal and should I continue to let the tank take it's course or is there a problem that I don't know about and should?

Michael
Post InfoPosted 04-Dec-2009 03:11Profile PM Edit Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
It is normal, that is what happens to fish food as it breaks down. What sort of odour is it? at this stage of the cycle it should be somewhat earthy and sharp, somewhat like hot wet rocks and a similar sort of tingle in your nose that you get if you sniff vinegar. I admit I've never cycled with fish food, so that smell could be a bit different, but generally you will get some odour as your tank moves through all the stages of the cycle.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 04-Dec-2009 04:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
m_acontreras
Small Fry
male usa us-texas
EditedEdited 06-Dec-2009 00:14
Callatya,

Thanks for your response...the odor does smell some what as you described (earthy and sharp...like hot wet rocks), and a tad fishy...i guess...

Crazy i know...

Thanks again!!!

Post InfoPosted 04-Dec-2009 08:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Kudos: 278
Votes: 338
Are you using ADA aquasoil? Aquasoil, when it is new, releases ammonia enough to cycle a tank without adding extra. At least that has been my experience when using it. My type is the "ammazonia" but I think that it's probably the same for all the varieties of ADA aquasoil.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 08-Dec-2009 11:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
m_acontreras
Small Fry
male usa us-texas
ADA Aquasoil? After a quick check on the net it seems that it would be ADA Aqua Soil...but i was unaware that it releases ammonia on it's own...so do i need to quit adding food?

Post InfoPosted 08-Dec-2009 13:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
If you have the kits, just stop with the food and continue to monitor the ammonia level, see where it goes.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 09-Dec-2009 01:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Kudos: 278
Votes: 338
EditedEdited 13-Dec-2009 12:52
I second what Callatya says. Keep testing for ammonia, nitrite etc. I didn't need to add any additional source of ammonia, when I used ADA aquasoil (ammazonia). By testing, you'll soon find out if you do need to add extra.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 13-Dec-2009 12:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies