Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeMy 60g
Patchy
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 195
Votes: 0
Hi all,
Just wondering if you could tell me if i have enough room in my 60g few additions i would like. As well as compatabilty
So far tank has

3 yoyo loaches
10 cardinals
1 red tail black shark (My favorite he thinks his a yoyo)

I am wanting to add
1 peppermint bristlenose
2 more yoyo's (having trouble findin more in my area)
and pair of blue rams

Im pretty sure i have enough room but doesnt hurt to ask.
and can i expect aggression between the rams and the RTBS?
his a push over at the moment but im aware they can get Agressive when their territory is threatened

Thank you for your time

Post InfoPosted 10-Oct-2006 13:03Profile PM Edit Report 
pos51
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 47
Votes: 4
male uk
hi there,

your stock list seems fine to me, im fairly sure there are other people on this site that could responbily suggest other fish to add.

As for your RTBS im not to sure as i havnt dealt with the particular fish, although i imagine the rams could hold there own. My RAINBOW shark only ever chases the other cyprinids in the tank and leaves everyone else alone.

hope this helps
Post InfoPosted 10-Oct-2006 23:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
First of all, the bottom feeders. Make sure they have a surplus of caves to occupy, as the Red Tailed Black Shark will become increasingly territorial with age. Your loaches may be able to tell him where to get off, especially if you have a number of them together, but it's wise to plan ahead with these fishes and make sure that there's 2 caves for each fish just to make sure - and include the Rams in the fish count for the cave provision! Of course, your loaches may all crowd together in one cave - according to other loach keepers, this is a common trait that they exhibit. Even if they do, it's wise to provide lots of desirable real estate for them all, particularly as Red Tailed Black Sharks develop a habit of evicting other bottom dwellers from caves serially just for the perverse fun of it. This will become particularly important if you add the Bristlenose in there, as it will want a cave of its own too. Caves formed from intricate bogwood pieces will be the way to go with your setup.

If the proposed stocking you listed above is the sole list of additions for now, then they should get along reasonably fine in 60 gallons of space - in fact, you've space to boost your Cardinal shoal to 16, which will result in a REALLY impressive sight if you have a mixture of plant thickets and open spaces for them to swim between! With the stocking you propose, 16 Cardinals will still result in your aquarium being relatively lightly stocked, so I wouldn't worry unduly about that.

I would watch the Red Tailed Black Shark like a hawk though as it grows. That fish is likely to be the biggest troublemaker if it DOES become aggressive. Make plans for rehousing NOW so that if the worst does happen, you're prepared for it.

That's going to be a nice setup once it's "bedded in" and all the occupants have grown. Congratulations on keeping the stocking light, by the way!

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 11-Oct-2006 00:45Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 11-Oct-2006 08:58
This post has been deleted
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
The RTBS will get very aggresive and extremly territoral of his own area the older they get the far more aggressive they become and besides I think that tank will be far too small as he gets older. Yes you certainly will require caves.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 11-Oct-2006 08:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies