Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeNew 55 gallon suggestions
Bamaboy88
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 35
Votes: 0
male usa
I'm in the process of getting a new 55 gallon tank. I know for sure that I am going to get about 6 tiger barbs and 1 red tail shark. What kind of cichlids, if any, could I put with these. And what are some suggestions that would go with the barbs and shark??
Post InfoPosted 02-Dec-2014 05:45Profile PM Edit Report 
ztb23
Hobbyist
Kudos: 137
Votes: 0
I wouldn't recommend putting cichlids in a tank that isn't dedicated to cichlids specifically. The reason for that is cichlids require a Ph of around 8, where as the barbs and shark prefer a Ph of about 7 to 7.5. With there not being much of a happy middle, the difference could stress one fish or the other.

If you want to keep the barbs and the shark, make sure the barbs are all the same species of barb, because even if you have 3 tiger barbs and 3 green barbs for that total of 6 you're going for, they won't school. As for the shark, make sure that any other bottom dwellers are territorial, otherwise the shark will terrorize them, rather than everyone sticking to their own territories.
Post InfoPosted 02-Dec-2014 19:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies