L# Reduce the chance of Breeding?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeReduce the chance of Breeding?
PaulO
Fingerling
Kudos: 17
Votes: 1
male usa us-tennessee
When I read up on fish profiles for various fish, it says the higher the temperature is within their temperature range, the most likely they'll breed. So is it safe to assume the chances will be smaller for your fish to breed when the temperature is towards the lower end of its temp range?
Post InfoPosted 27-Aug-2009 21:45Profile PM Edit Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
Nope, if the mood strikes and they're in a happy, healthy home... You'll have a tank full of courtin' fishies!

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 28-Aug-2009 02:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
PaulO
Fingerling
male usa us-tennessee
Ok, so what to do with them if they do reproduce? I'm gonna get Zebra Danios, Corys, and maybe guppies. Will they eat their own?
Post InfoPosted 28-Aug-2009 14:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
guppies will breed, and they are livebearers so will drop live young. If there is not enough hiding places in the tank, the guppies and danios will eat the fry.
The danios will probably not breed. If they do, again fry will probably be eaten - these are egg scatterers/layers pending on species.
Corys ill breed if given the correct conditions, usually eggs are laid on the glass or another smooth surface and will be orange in colour. Again, all fry are fair game for other fish to eat.
Post InfoPosted 28-Aug-2009 15:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
PaulO
Fingerling
male usa us-tennessee
I had convicts once and two of them bred. They protected the young from the other fish, this is why I was asking because I didn't want termoil or fighting going on in the community tank. Thanks
Post InfoPosted 29-Aug-2009 15:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Your fish will not defend their young, so there won't be any fighting from any breeding.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 30-Aug-2009 01:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
PaulO
Fingerling
male usa us-tennessee
Thanks Mez and Shinigami. I just wanted to know because it is a 10gal and i didnt want them to overpopulate.
Post InfoPosted 30-Aug-2009 13:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
Convcts are a type of american cichldids. Cichlids will certainly protect their fry against most oncomers including your hand!
Post InfoPosted 03-Sep-2009 12:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
apandaepidemic
Small Fry
Kudos: 5
Votes: 0
The guppies will be the easiest to avoid, just don't buy any females Depending on where you go, some stores have them separated, I know PetSmart does. If they don't, it's pretty easy to tell males from females and I'd imagine your fish catcher will help you pick out only males.
Post InfoPosted 05-Sep-2009 05:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies