Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeRiver Tank........
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
i was thinking of makeing a kinda cold water asian them moutian stream. but the thing is i wonder if u could do one with a rainbow trout..... it would have diff types of hillstream loaches and like 1 or 2 rainbow trout do u guys see anything wrong with my idea?
Post InfoPosted 27-Mar-2009 13:12Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
Ira
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 181
Votes: 1
male newzealand
You mean other than the hillstream loaches likely to become expensive feeder fish for your trout?
Post InfoPosted 27-Mar-2009 13:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
it would have diff types of hillstream loaches and like 1 or 2 rainbow trout do u guys see anything wrong with my idea?

They can get a bit large.

Post InfoPosted 27-Mar-2009 18:41Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
male
lol yea well it would mainly just be a grow out tank for like 2 trout then i would get them a larger tank before they start eating the hillstrems or should i just put the hillstream loaches in and wat other fish can take very fast water with out stressing them or killing them?
Post InfoPosted 27-Mar-2009 21:50Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
Why would you want to keep something so large, you're never going to be able to house it properly, and it will easily end up on the floor or KOd because it hit the lid. They need HUGE tanks to swim in, its like keeping a huge tiger barb. The young will also eat hillstream loaches. There is a reason farms keep them in lakes or huge vats.
Snakeheads are a more realistic option.
Post InfoPosted 28-Mar-2009 01:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Yes to the snakeheads, except for the fact they're illegal in the US now. Although they probably wouldn't like water that was too fast.

Depends on how fast you're talking with what fish can live in fast water. I expect white clouds would take fast water to a certain degree. I hear Hemiodus are pretty good with fast water. As far as most fish go, though, when you get really fast you're only looking at bottom feeders like hillstream loaches and certain plecs and catfishes; anything with a sucker adaptation is fairly good for a fast-water aquarium.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 28-Mar-2009 02:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
White clouds are a definite yes. I had a river tank set up for a couple of years with white clouds and hillies.
Post InfoPosted 28-Mar-2009 03:07Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
That trout is very rare as far as size goes no way would a RB Trout grow to that size in a home tank no mater how big it was.
They can grow very big if there is plenty of natural food and perfect water conditions.
I have seen several bigger in the wild but they are far and few in between.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 28-Mar-2009 04:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 28-Mar-2009 04:55
This post has been deleted
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Very true, Keith, but you could say the same for something like the iridescent shark. In the wild, they reach up to 4 feet and 100 pounds, something that's just not going to happen in normal tank conditions. All the more reason fish like that should simply be kept out of home aquaria.
Post InfoPosted 28-Mar-2009 05:18Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
male
the arizona desart museame has a larger sized rainbow trout in a fish tank on display it looks so great!
Post InfoPosted 29-Mar-2009 12:00Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
Id beg to differ actually.
I think the RB trout would grow LARGER than that in the wild, but will die very early.
Coupled with the constant diet as opposed to dropping off periods of feeding in the wild, and the added heat to increase motabolizam, i think they'd grow huge in a big tank, then die.
Post InfoPosted 30-Mar-2009 20:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Rainbows are pretty sensitive to warmer temperatures. They'll start to die around 70 F. You're probably right about the diet, but the size of the tank it would take to grow out a trout that big is staggering.
Post InfoPosted 30-Mar-2009 21:14Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies