zachf92
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 255
Votes: 233
male usa
EditedEdited by zachf92
I have a couple questions for you bichir owners-

Last week, I came across a 8in polypterus senegalus at my LPS. The idiot working there told me that it was a African Leaf Fish, which costs $15. After having a small argument with him about it being an Senegal Bichir, I eventually gave up bought it for that price, as I was in a rush. Is that a good price? I know that the 2in guys usually sell for $6, so I'm just wondering.

Also, as usual, this was kind of an impulse buy . I don't know very much about keeping them, although I have done a lot of research on the internet. Even so, can any of you share any tips, comments, problems, etc. about this species? Feeding tips would be greatly appreciated as well, as I'm having a bit of trouble in giving this guy his fair share of food, due to the fact that his tankmates are pigs.
Im currently trying to feed him frozen beefheart and freeze-dried krill, but he only seems to be interested in the beefheart.

And this leads me to my next question: Would feeder fish be best for my bichir? My only concern is that they introduce diseases into my tank.

On a side note, I'm starting to believe that these guys are dumb as rocks. Last night, I watched my bichir bite his own caudal fin, and then go insane, lashing about the tank, as if he were attacked by another fish
Post InfoPosted 15-Jul-2008 20:10Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
I hope that's a big tank!

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile41.html

Feeders are e to bring disease into the main tank.
It might be best for you to purchase some pairs of fish
that you want to use as feeders, and start breeding them
on your own. This way you know that they are disease
free when you toss in the fry. Always keep some of the
best of the fry to maintain your breeding population.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 15-Jul-2008 23:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
if you want feedres buy some guppies or endlers then release them into a tank with lots of plants and feed well. they will reward youwith alot of fry (like triple what you can see at least!) once the fry are large enough you can just scoop them out and toss tehm into the tank for feeding... but try to keep most of the females as they are the hot icket with the breeding, the males are just for show good luck!

I have heard alot of great stuff about bichirs, and 8 inches for 15 isnt bad, my LFS sells the little 2inch guys arround 15 and the larger ones at about 25-30... depends though... so you got a pretty good buy. they like a softer substrate and thats about all i can remeber from my brief research of them...

GOOD LUCK!
-Brandon

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 16-Jul-2008 00:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
1. Yeah, that's a great price for a fish that large.

2. Feeders are not necessarily the best idea. Disease is a very likely concern with feeder fish. The bichir may be large enough that it may ignore fry if you wanted to go that route; raising a fish to edible size may take a couple months.

What are the fish's tankmates? It may be as simple as feeding at night, but you might also have to use a feeding stick to bring food near him. For such carnivores I've had good luck feeding pieces of seafood.

Bichirs may also accept bloodworms and shrimp pellets; these might be something to try.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 16-Jul-2008 03:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
EditedEdited by longhairedgit
Got a couple myself, indeed did the profile for this site. They take shrimp and most de-shelled shellfish too, mine like mussels, they are fond of earthworms too. Its good if you can get them onto an artificial food too, for nutrient balance. Mine take the hikari cichlid gold sinking formula too. Its the only non-real food theyve ever gone for. They actually do better without live feeds, they take frozen and thawed fish pieces.Despite really being a bit big for them now they have a lingering fondness for freeze dried tubifex. They neck whole cubes.

Seen lots of them over the years go nutrient deficient on monotypic diets of live and frozen fish. Something to do with thiaminase causing respiritory issues. They end up on the bottom panting and then they suffocate or go into metabolic collapse. Obviously not desgned to be pure piscivores, they need the diet variety.

If they are finding the food competition a bit stiff, try a night feed, they seem to work on scent rather than vision for the most part anyway, and they often stay up nights. I watch mine with the night vision setting on my camera and they are just as active as in the day, and they feed in pitch blackness, they find the food as well as catfish do.
Post InfoPosted 16-Jul-2008 05:16Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Natalie
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Apolay Wayyioy
Kudos: 3730
Votes: 348
female usa us-california

I've had luck getting bichirs to take frozen krill and those sinking carnivore pellets by Hikari. In fact, I think if you relied solely on releasing feeder fish into the tank, the bichir would eventually starve, because they seem to be quite bad at catching live fish.

You can also (with patience) train bichirs to handfeed; that's pretty cool and you can make sure they are getting enough to eat.

I'm not your neighbor, you Bakersfield trash.
Post InfoPosted 16-Jul-2008 05:48Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
zachf92
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 255
Votes: 233
male usa
EditedEdited by zachf92
I hope that's a big tank!
It's a 75g. Not the best for a bichir, but it'll do for now.
if you want feedres buy some guppies or endlers then release them into a tank with lots of plants and feed well. they will reward youwith alot of fry (like triple what you can see at least!) once the fry are large enough you can just scoop them out and toss tehm into the tank for feeding
I just went back to the LPS and bought 4 endlers and 1 fancy guppy, and im currently keeping them in a tub in my room for quarantine. The only thing, though, is that I need a fish that will be too large for my fish to eat, besides the bichir. That way, I'll know that he's eating, and not getting his food stolen.
Yeah, that's a great price for a fish that large.
Wow, for once the store didn't actually rip me off. I'm surprised.
What are the fish's tankmates?
Im not gonna bother listing the fish that aren't problematic, in terms of stealing the bichirs food, but the ones which may be a problem incude the following: 2 CL's, 1 severum, 1 demonfish, 1 leopard ctenopoma, 1 clown barb. All the fish are 4-6in.
you might also have to use a feeding stick to bring food near him.
I've tried that, but being the dumb fish he is, he runs away from the stick.
Bichirs may also accept bloodworms and shrimp pellets
I just bought some shrimp pellets, and I gave them a try, but I don't think he's eating them, although I haven't been paying close attention. I'll try again at night.
those sinking carnivore pellets by Hikari
As stated before, I went to the LPS today, in hopes of buying these pellets. But god, they're expensive. I'm not paying $16 for a small package of pellets.
Post InfoPosted 16-Jul-2008 23:37Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Natalie
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Apolay Wayyioy
Kudos: 3730
Votes: 348
female usa us-california

Sixteen dollars is a total rip-off for a three ounce package of fish food. If you go to one of the larger chain stores they will have them for about ten dollars.

I'm not your neighbor, you Bakersfield trash.
Post InfoPosted 17-Jul-2008 00:44Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Yes, shrimp pellets can be a hard sell for some fish, but it seems I eventually get most of my fish onto them. Bloodworms almost always get a predatory fish going, though; for direct feeding, this is when a turkey baster can be handy. Anyway, you gotta move slowly with that stick. It's like fishing, you gotta be patient, lol.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 17-Jul-2008 04:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies