Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeThose with freshwater shrimp breeders how do you send yours
TravelingGypsy
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 11
Votes: 0
female newzealand
If your a breeder and sell them would you send them to the buyer in a milk bottle??? Just asking because I purchased some from someone and the person sent about 1000 of them to me in a milk bottle with duct tape over the top and in a non bubble wrapped courier bag. And in all my life of owning aquarium animals i have never seen anything being sent to me like that I often courier things and they are never packaged like this. I have placed negative feedback on the person that did this so what are your thoughts

They say fishes are dumb, because humans need to be smarter in keeping the fishes alive.
Post InfoPosted 05-Nov-2008 23:28Profile PM Edit Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
EditedEdited by Callatya
Not exactly what I would have done, but only because of the temperature jumps. I think bubble wrap or a lot of newspaper would have been sensible, at the very least. The bottle part doesn't worry me, and I think for shrimp I'd probably perfer it over a bag.

I have sent fish and small cray (food cultures, plants etc) in 600mL bottles before, and really I don't see much difference between that and a bag, except that it is much harder to deflate a bottle or have something puncture it, or for it to be flattened in transit. It is also easier for an amateur to seal than a bag. Most times I've gotten things in bags, I've been very very glad that they've also come in styro boxes because while I'm sure the sender put in some very pretty air-filled bags, the result on arrival was pretty poor.

If anyone sends through AusPost, I think bottles are a MUCH better idea than bags unless the rest of your packaging is spot on (styro box, absorbent material inside, well sealed, etc etc). I've been the recipient of bags through the post that failed, and the delivery guy was not. happy. jan. I can only imagine what that sodden mess did to everyone's letters and parcels Any bottles I've had through AusPost have arrived safe and sound. They are almost always packed with bubble wrap and inside sealed plastic bags, as well has having a duck taped lid, but they are not always boxed.

Out of curiousity, where are you ordering shrimp from that allows feedback? I'm on the hunt for some myself but I'm having trouble finding a local supplier. Can you PM?

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 06-Nov-2008 08:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I recently bought 5 shrimps all arrived in perfect health including a few babies which hatched along the way.

They were in a small plastic drink bottle well sealed the bottle also had a fair amount of Java Moss in it.

It was well wrapped in bubble wrap and placed in a express courier bag. Even then it took two days to arrive about a 90min direct drive.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 06-Nov-2008 10:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TravelingGypsy
-----
Hobbyist
female newzealand
Thats what i would of thought but she sent it in a bag with no bubble wrap or newspaper or anything.

They say fishes are dumb, because humans need to be smarter in keeping the fishes alive.
Post InfoPosted 06-Nov-2008 10:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TravelingGypsy
-----
Hobbyist
female newzealand
Keith thats is what i would of expected for them to arrive but no it was in a non bubblewrapped, not wrapped or anything like that just a plastic bottle in a plastic bag. Yes the distance would of played a part but the packaging would of helped tremendulosy(sp)

Post InfoPosted 06-Nov-2008 10:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
I agree with Calla the bottles being thicker and more rigid are safer for the perople to send with, and its possible that your person sent the shrimp and she ran out of bubble wrap but being a bussiness they wanted to send out ASAP. you should have Emailed them prior and discussed any discrepancies you had before leaving feedback because truley there isnt much wrong in what they did and you got what you wanted safe and sound...

different breeders do things differently and if they trusted that the shrimp would arrive safely and the temp wouldn be too drastic then they did nothing truely wrong. Not only that but you made his/her/their bussiness look bad by putting your negative feedback rather than personally stating to them why you were dissatisfied and gotten things squared away.

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 07-Nov-2008 06:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
I suppose it should be asked, did any survive the trip?

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 07-Nov-2008 06:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
Be glad they dont have Raptorial Appendages!
Post InfoPosted 07-Nov-2008 07:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TravelingGypsy
-----
Hobbyist
female newzealand
EditedEdited by travelinggypsy
Brandeeno yes i see the sense of the bottles now. But the no bubble wrap that would of protected them. And when i looked at her feedback its not the first time she has sent shrimps that arrived at thier destination DOA, She has done this to many people i didnt know until after i had paid and thought they were taking long to arrive that i looked at the feedback. and

calla no none of them survive.

But she has offered to send more for free only i have to pay for courier and she is still going to send them the same way but wrapped in news paper so i will give her another chance.

And mez that is an awesome picture

Post InfoPosted 07-Nov-2008 22:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
gypsy i would just try anoter person. get your money back (all of it including the courrier costs as its her fault that they al died) and try another breeder who will take better care of the little ones. I didnt know they died....

Post InfoPosted 11-Nov-2008 19:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TravelingGypsy
-----
Hobbyist
female newzealand
Thanks bradnerro. Well the upside to the story i have now two bristlenose in my tropical tank and they are having the time of thier lives in there.

Post InfoPosted 11-Nov-2008 21:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
i am a little lost... did she send you some BNs to make up for the loss?

Post InfoPosted 16-Nov-2008 09:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies