SubscribeWhat Eats Snails?
juwel-180
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 212
Votes: 17
male uk
hi guys

Aint been on in a while because of many reasons. I am looking forward to going to my LFS on monday as they have been shut for 8 months and have moved shop. So on monday the tropical fish section will then be open. I want to get somthing to eat my snails. No bigger than 8cm in length, likes comunitty thanks and lives about 24 C any ideas?

thanks
Post InfoPosted 04-Oct-2007 21:47Profile PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
A lot would depend on how big and the type of snails. If they are large I would try to move them manually and let a small CL deal with the rest including all the unhatched eggs it might take several months to be done but it will be done.
I had a snail invasion in the Betta tank and a small CL did the job well and now lives happily in the 5ft tank.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 05-Oct-2007 03:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Jerrard
----------
Fingerling
Kudos: 19
Votes: 5
male canada
yea Clown Loaches work great, but i found for me it took them a while to start eating snails i still fed them as normal they just took it upon themselves to start eating them, yo-yo loaches also do well on snails but i belive clowns are better at this task when it comes to snails , and Ropefish will also eat snails , mine rips them out of there shells and gulps them down, i guess thats why when i pick up ghost shrimp at the local store the lady gives me a weird look when i ask her to throw in as many nausence snails as she has in there , she never asks . i never tell but she gives them to me for free. i even had my rope " Deumos " kill a golden mystery snail on me once, some people ask how do you know she got it , i reply her head was in its shell ... nuff said

thanks

1-Ancistrus triradiatus 4-Gymnocorymbus ternetzi 2-Danio frankei
2-Danio rerio 2-Danio Starfire 2-Chromobotia macracanthus 2-Erpetoichthys calabaricus 4-Ampullariidae 1-Mastacembelus erythrotaenia
Post InfoPosted 05-Oct-2007 03:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
cdnAndrew
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 5
Votes: 0
male canada
I've got my fingers crossed, as I just added a CL to my tank tonight for this very purpose

- Andrew
Post InfoPosted 05-Oct-2007 03:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Dont feed for two days it will not hurt the other fish at all.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 05-Oct-2007 08:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 223
Votes: 255
female usa

I just read in the planted section, in Countryfishe's log on the last page where he has pics of dwarf loaches & he says they eat his snails.

Something I discovered by accident was I have a sort of day of rest for my tanks once a week, where I leave the lights off & don't feed the fish that day......the next morning when I turn the lights on there is a bunch of snails at the top at the water line. I grab some paper towels & gently scoop them up so as not to scratch the glass & throw them away.
Post InfoPosted 05-Oct-2007 17:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
All botias eat snails pretty equally. There is absolutely no reason to recommend clown loaches over other loaches of more suitable size. Yoyos, zebras, dwarf chain, queen, burmese, striped, skunk... and so on all eat snails and will eliminate all snails in the tank. However if we're looking for a permanent snail eater loaches may or may not work for this tank. Not enough info given but most are more than 8cm and require a group.

If we are looking for something that eats snails at least better than most, is very small, and peaceful to most fish try small gouramis like sparkling. Mine wiped out all my blue ramshorns and were working on the red when I moved them. They also killed a few applesnails and kept my trumpets in hiding. They would do best in a small group of 3+ but are closer to 4cm. Downside is they will not get along with other labyrinth fish and most cichlids. You also have to watch for fish that might be big enough to eat them.
Post InfoPosted 05-Oct-2007 18:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
waldena
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 80
Votes: 71
male uk
If you're after small loaches, then from experience, the Dwarf Chain Loach - Botia Sidthimunki - does a great job of clearing snails. It'll take a few weeks for them to get going, but suddenly you'll have none. You'll need to keep a group of about 5 or 6 of them, but they're a great little fish.
Post InfoPosted 05-Oct-2007 22:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Zix Stix
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 7
Votes: 4
male canada
Yeah, like sham said, Most loaches will do the job, but require a small school. I have some yoyos and they ate 3 adult size apple snails, and all the MTS I had.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

~Zix Stix~
Post InfoPosted 10-Oct-2007 07:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 7215
Votes: 1024
male malta
Does anybody know, if N.brichardi eat snails?.

I am asking this question, as i have a tankfull of N.brichardi & i also had some pest snails. After some time, i'm finding some empty snail shells on the bottom of the tank & i'm wondering if they're dieing or being eaten.

Thanks alot.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corydoras/
Member of the Malta Aquarist Society - 1970.
http://www.maltaaquarist.com
Post InfoPosted 11-Oct-2007 18:39Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
I put one lone snail in my N. brichardi tank a few weeks ago, and as far as I know, it's still alive. So I believe the answer to your question is no, or they only eat snails that are easy to eat (the one in my tank is mid-sized and has a pretty hard shell)

><>
Post InfoPosted 12-Oct-2007 07:08Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 7215
Votes: 1024
male malta
The snails that i have are the small rounded ones & they don't break the shell, as i find the shells at the bottom of the tank & they turn out white, instead of the greyish colour that they usually have.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corydoras/
Member of the Malta Aquarist Society - 1970.
http://www.maltaaquarist.com
Post InfoPosted 12-Oct-2007 11:57Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Hari Seldon
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 40
male canada
EditedEdited by Hari Seldon
I recently added some plants from LFS, which subsequently added snails to my tanks

Its 14.5G tank, with breeding guppies and a Cory.

I have Trumpets, and Ramshorns....I want a small loach or equivilant for eliminating these snails.

How big do the dwarf species of loach get? I only want 1 fish (loach or otherwise) to do the job, any more would be pushing the tanks limits.

Suggestions?

72G Bowfront. 1 Sunshine Peacock, 2 Yellow Labs, 1 Ps. Elongatus, 1 Blue Ahli, 1 Red Kadanga, 1 Mel. Exasperatus, 1 metriaclima emmiltos, 1 Ancistrus.

14.5G 4 Neon Tetras.
Post InfoPosted 12-Oct-2007 19:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
Skunk botia.
Cant remember the latin off the top of my head, but these things will stand up for themselves and make the loudest click you can imagine!
Post InfoPosted 12-Oct-2007 19:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
You can't have 1 loach permanently. You could borrow a loach and return it when the snails are gone but they are all social. They need a group of around 4-6 minimum.

Also nothing eats trumpets completely and trumpets eat other snails. They have far too hard of shells and tend to stay hidden or closed up so that no fish can really eliminate trumpets from a tank. They will make off with some from sneak attacks and the rest will hide in the substrate so they aren't as visible but will return as soon as you remove the threat. You will eventually end up with at least close to only trumpets. They might let an adult or 2 of another snail species live but in my tank with trumpets I had 2 ramshorns snails survive out of 2 dozen I purposely added and they never had any surviving offspring in at least 4months until I moved them.
Post InfoPosted 13-Oct-2007 05:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Jerrard
----------
Fingerling
Kudos: 19
Votes: 5
male canada
at night place a cucumber slice at the top of the tank in a corner and with lights off in the morning the snails will be on and around it zuch works good too. start crushing them on the glass. after a couple weeks the numbers start to die down , i have CLs and they do control the opulation but usually when i think they are gone i see one or 2 in the java moss or at the top of the tank,

1-Ancistrus triradiatus 4-Gymnocorymbus ternetzi 2-Danio frankei
2-Danio rerio 2-Danio Starfire 2-Chromobotia macracanthus 2-Erpetoichthys calabaricus 4-Ampullariidae 1-Mastacembelus erythrotaenia
Post InfoPosted 15-Oct-2007 02:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies