AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# General Freshwater
  L# anyone have (or ever have) any "Leopard Bush Fish"?
 Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribeanyone have (or ever have) any "Leopard Bush Fish"?
daddySEAL
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 68
Votes: 3
male usa
EditedEdited by daddySEAL
They are a very interesting looking fish. And seem to have the same water quality, etc. needs as my other fish in my 125g tank.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f19/leopard-ctenopoma-latest-picture-30584.html
http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=10029

I've looked at them extensively in Google searches, but can anyone here tell me about them from personal experience, please? I have read conflicting reports, like:
1) I've heard that when first bought, they only will accept shrimp, frozen or live food...is that true?
(I want to as quick as I can get them to eat high protein Discus granules and 94% protein flakes...or I'll be feeding the other 30 active eating fish that also, just to get some to these fish...I can't afford, nor want to do that) Can't they soon come around to those high quality dried food??

2) I've read conflictive views on the being, and some say not aggressive...which is true from your experience?
3) I've also read that the generally are reclusive and mostly hide in tall planted areas..and don't come out except when the tank is being feed...is that true?

thanks,
dS

Post InfoPosted 25-Sep-2008 20:23Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
cichlidaddicted
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 9
Votes: 0
EditedEdited by cichlidaddicted
I have had one of these guys for a little over a year now, and he has easily become one of my favorite fish.

When I first bought my leopard ctenopoma, he began eating flakes within a day. Maybe I got lucky, but if I were you, I'd keep a pack of frozen bloodworms on hand, just to be on the safe side.

As for temperament, he's one of the most peaceful and retiring fish I own. Never have I seen him commit any act of aggression, and he seems to get along with all the other fish in my tank without a problem. Most of the time, he just hides within plants or the multiple caves within my tank, but as soon as he sees me, he begins to dart around the tank, hoping i'll give him a treat. Just remember, in almost all species, temperament can vary greatly from fish to fish, and i wouldn't be surprised if there were some nasty leopard ctenopomas out there.

If you intend on keeping this fish in a community, just be certain that none of this oppurtunistic predator's tankmates are too small to be eaten. Larger or Deep-bodied schooling fish such congo tetras and blackskirt tetras should be fine, though.

And on a side note: I've heard of them growing up to 8in. long, but so far, my leopard ctenopoma has just barely reached 4in.

I highly recommend that you buy this unique fish. If you having trouble finding them, you might want to check out Petsmart, if there are any around you. Most of the Petsmarts in my area regularly stock leopard ctenopomas.

Good Luck
Post InfoPosted 07-Oct-2008 22:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
That sounds like a very interesting fish to have it looks like a upright flounder.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 08-Oct-2008 04:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
daddySEAL
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Yes, they are WAY Cool looking, with that round body, radial fins and neat leopard spot coloration.

But I've called the Fish Store and cut my order down from 4 to just one fish, as a trial on converting to high protein dry food.

They probably aren't going to be cheap(even fish store won't tell me a price yet, PLUS I'd Hate to lose more than one, if they won't convert over a week or so.

dS
Post InfoPosted 14-Oct-2008 19:15Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
zachf92
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 255
Votes: 233
male usa
Wow, thats just absurd
Hopefully, you can still get that last guy though.
Also, they arent that expensive, ive seen some for $6, although i bought mine for $8.

On a side note, I saw an enormous leopard ctenopoma at a pet store in Fresno today. It was at least 4" from top to bottom. If only i could take it back to my house in NC
Post InfoPosted 15-Oct-2008 00:07Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
daddySEAL
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Forgive me, zachf92
But what is absurd?
Wanting to get one as a "food conversion trial" fish, and not wanting to get 4 and losing them all over the needed dry food conversion?
(I hate to have my fish die, Any of my fish!)

dS
(nice to know that as "unusual" as thr breed is, it is not high dollar, though zachf92)
Post InfoPosted 15-Oct-2008 15:09Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
zachf92
----------
Big Fish
male usa
EditedEdited by zachf92
oh im sorry... im lost hah
i thought your pet store was doing some sort of change in the fishes' diet, and 3 of the four leopard ctenopomas you ordered had died as a result.

i dont know
Post InfoPosted 15-Oct-2008 16:59Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
daddySEAL
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
no, friend
It is my choice to see if I can convert one over to high protein discus granuls and flakes without dying.

If I am successful with that one, I'll go get the other 3.

Thanks,
dS
Post InfoPosted 15-Oct-2008 20:18Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
daddySEAL
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
BTW...are they less reclusive in groups, as opposed to single fish?

dS
Post InfoPosted 15-Oct-2008 21:40Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
zachf92
----------
Big Fish
male usa
EditedEdited by zachf92
okay, now i get it

Im sure the guy will convert just fine. My leopard ctenopoma was engorging himself on flakes in no time, and I'll bet you that your LFS feeding their ctenopomas flakes to begin with.

TBH, ive never kept them in groups before, but i would imagine that they might stick together up until they become fully mature. Then, you may have some bickering among them. Keeping them in groups, however, may allow them to feel more secure when initially being introduced into tank.

That's just a prediction, though, but I'll do a bit of research for you, as I too would like to know about their temperament in groups
Post InfoPosted 16-Oct-2008 00:30Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
daddySEAL
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Will get back to you when I get one (or the 3 I'd like).

But as far as feefing by my LFS, they raise brine shrip for sale. And have told me ALL the fish there get that as their food.

I "bet" that I can convert them though.

thanks,
dS
Post InfoPosted 27-Oct-2008 21:02Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Big E
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 382
usa
I bought 2 about 8 months ago, and after a month or two I had to take one in to a LFS because the larger fish was constantly harassing the smaller fish (they were similar in size, so smaller is relative). One was 2.5" and the other 2 inches at the time in a heavily planted 36" long 33 gallon tank. I kept the smaller fish because he had better coloring IMO.

My solo fish, now named Spot, is a great fish. He does hide in a piece of driftwood unless he's hungry, and then he begs like an oscar. He came from petsmart and has eaten dry food from the start with no problems. He's a bit slow/shy eating flakes, but anything that sinks he strikes at like a bass (their mouths are huge - they yawn sometimes, so you can see just how big). So shrimp pellets, broken up sinking bottom feeder discs, etc., all work great. He also scavenges for these foods if they hit bottom. Naturally, bloodworms, crickets and other meatier foods are accepted as well.

He's now about 3.5" long. His tankmates include 4 variatus platys, a clown pleco, and 2 ancient cherry barbs.

I think 6" is a common tank length for them, but a hobbyist I know has an 8" long fish that's about 10 years old and lives exclusively on culls from his fishroom...he says the fish is a much better cull eater than any cichlid he has ever tried for that purpose.

Eric
Post InfoPosted 28-Oct-2008 05:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
daddySEAL
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Right, Big E
I would never consider putting 2 together in the tank.
One Always dominates the other, picking on it 'til it is too afraid to come out and eat...and eventually dies.

I've seen it with many species, especially my Bolivian and German Blue Rams.

I'd either get 1, or at least 3 (or 4).

Thanks,
dS
Post InfoPosted 28-Oct-2008 20:10Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Big E
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 382
usa
Sounds like a plan.

My problem was that I'd watched these two specific fish at PetSmart for over 2 months - smaller ones were selling but these two seemed to actually hang out together. They're hard to sex, but I was guessing they might be a young pair...and I was sadly mistaken.

Oh well - live and learn.

Did I mention I really like these fish?

One warning - I've never owned a fish that could hide as well as these guys do. My guy isn't just 3.5"SL - he's a chunky 3.5" beast, and he can simply disappear when he wants to. They're ambush predators in nature, so any leaf in the water, branch, hole, etc. is a possible hiding place. Whenever I've added new fish, re-arranged decorations, or in any other way annoyed my fish, he goes and hides...sometimes for days. Eventually, he gets hungry and comes out, but I'd swear he was showing his displeasure with my actions.

Eric
Post InfoPosted 29-Oct-2008 05:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies