L# General Freshwater
  L# biOrb Tank
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribebiOrb Tank
JTF
----------
Enthusiast
male canada
Was over at my local petsmart today in kingston, ontario Canada and noticed a new product line called biOrb (see link). The basic kit at petsmart goes for $99.00, it looks very sharpe. Does anyone own one or have any comments on this type of setup.

http://www.biorb.com/
Post InfoPosted 18-Dec-2006 04:36Profile PM Edit Report 
imverystupid
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 21
Votes: 1
it looks cool, but they dont look very good for a lot of fish, and seem like they would be a chore to clean out and keep the water quality good
Post InfoPosted 18-Dec-2006 04:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
It says it has a "clever and easy to change filtration system" but it doesn't really explain it. I'm not sure you could stock that very well especially the little 15 litre setup. It also doesn't look like it would have much light for setting up a planted tank. Although at the bottom it says halogen light system. Not sure what wpg rating you would use with halogen. Might make an interesting rainbow shrimp tank but I wouldn't suggest stocking much in the way of fish without seeing one for myself or at least more info about the filtration system.
Post InfoPosted 18-Dec-2006 06:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
JTF
----------
Enthusiast
male canada
Thankyou both for the replies. Yes it may be hard to clean now that I look at again due to its sphere like shape. As for lighting its a 10 watt halogen bulb. The filter appears to be a sponge filter.
Post InfoPosted 19-Dec-2006 03:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Doedogg
---------------
Banned
Kudos: 737
Votes: 445
female usa
EditedEdited by doedogg
Pretty cool looking. This accessory is "interesting" http://www.biorb.com/product_details.php?p_id=20&vlang_id=56 .

I used to be Snow White, but I drifted.
~ Mae West
Post InfoPosted 19-Dec-2006 14:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
illustrae
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 876
female usa
I've seen these tanks at at first they look neat, but then I realize that in order to have good gas exchange, you can't fill it up very high, leaving at least 2-3 inches of empty space at the top. And you wouldn't be able to have many fish in there, and certainly not anything very active. Also, I think the smaller tanks rely on the halogen lamp for heat, making it unsuitable for tropical fish. Since there are no small goldfish that should ever be stuck in that tank, your options become very very limited. The large 60 litre one looks like it might come with a heater, broadening your options a little.
Sponge filters are great, as long as your bioload is light, also limiting the number of fish you put in there. While a filter sponge doesn't need to be replaced very often, they do need to be rinsed out at least once a week if not more often. I wonder if they have a clever and easy way to remove the filter for cleaning... doesn't really look like it.

Hoping that there must be a word for everything I mean...
Post InfoPosted 19-Dec-2006 16:31Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
juwel-180
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 212
Votes: 17
male uk
hi ye this product has been in the uk for some time and although looks gd i dont realy think is that practical the only one that u can fill to the top it the cylidrical one. At my LFS i have found that people buy these for cold fish and some times for small tropical fish. There have been some with dwarf gouramis, neons, and a flying fox all in the same one which i think might be pushing it. They have become big for those who want a nice looking tank. But from what people have said they have not been that impressed with way it keeps the fish and at the end of the day that is what it is all about. Just my 2 cent
Post InfoPosted 19-Dec-2006 20:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
JTF
----------
Enthusiast
male canada
Great feed back from all, much appreciated.I think I will go with the standard type of glass tank for much less money, tanks again.
Post InfoPosted 20-Dec-2006 02:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
They are pretty snazzy things, I've seen one with a handful of female bettas swimming around and boy did it look swish!

I'm sure they have their place, but if you want to 'play' with your aquarium they aren't really ideal.

Still, they do look very nice If santa delivered one I wouldn't say no

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 22-Dec-2006 08:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
I've wanted for years to smack their marketing department.

Just the thought of people stocking them with goldfish at all let alone the number they suggest makes me want to puke.

If someone gave me one I'd ask for the $100 and give it back to them.
^_^

Post InfoPosted 23-Dec-2006 00:18Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies