L# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribedan76s log
dan76
----------
Big Fish
Always Reading Posts
male australia
that fish never has any colour , he is most likely a neon but is doing fine pretending to be a cardinal.

ps how many cardinals do you think i could squeeze in the tank, i was thinking about 30

OH TOLEEDY!
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:54Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
Kudos: 1997
Votes: 670
male usa
how many cardinals do you think i could squeeze in the tank, i was thinking about 30

I am still assuming that these are 55G tanks, right?

I don't know if you follow my 125G Log in the Planted Forum, but if you do then you know that I turned into a fan of large schools (by accident, so to speak ).

If all the fish that are going in the tank are Cardinals, or maybe just a small number of other center piece fish are added, then I dare to say you can fit at least 40 .

Ingo

Proud Member of the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
dan76
----------
Big Fish
Always Reading Posts
male australia
ingo, unless ive got my measurments wrong the fp calculator tells me i have a 65us gal tank. the only other fish will probably be bronze corydoras (about 8 or 9).and of course the two catfish that are already in there.

also just out of interst what are the dimensions of your 125 and do you have a pic of the whole room where the tank is?

ps i have browsed through your thread over the months but i dont get the time to browse every day, usually the first time i get to sit down every day is for dinner and about 1/2 hour after that bed, so any time extra is for my little girl, sorry to say but fp runs second to rachel, as you probably tell at the moment im on holidays so get to spend an hour or two a day on fp lurking but that will change a couple of days

OH TOLEEDY!
dan76
----------
Big Fish
Always Reading Posts
male australia
sorry for the bad grammar but i cant edit atm i will try again later

OH TOLEEDY!
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Dan,

The tank dimensions are 72 long by 18 wide by 24 high, all in inches.

No, I don’t have a picture of the room where the tank sits in. It is in our finished basement and I am glad that I can get so far back that I capture the whole tank width in one picture. I placed the tank with a gap to the back wall that allows me to squeeze behind it, for maintenance, pruning, and replanting reasons. I also have enough space on the left (between tank and counter) and right (between tank and wall) to do maintenance from there, if needed. Then, in front of the tank, with some space in between, is a coffee table, a chair, and a couch, followed by an open area that gives me access to the 20G QT on the counter and stores some of the kids toys.

About editing your first post on this page. A few of us recognized that there must be a site boo-boo that blocks first entries on subsequent pages from being edited.

And FP is only second in your list of important things in life? How can that be .

Ingo

EDIT: I will try to capture as much of the room for you as possible, if you are interested.

Last edited by LITTLE_FISH at 31-Dec-2005 06:55

dan76
----------
Big Fish
Always Reading Posts
male australia
yeah i would like to see a pic of your basement ingo, i think that sometimes we focus too much on the tanks without showing how we have setup the room to enjoy them.
i have just been doing a bit of rearranging in my tankroom so that its a bit more user friendly .i just came inside because its too hot , so give me 5 or 6 hours and ill get a pic of everything looking tidy(its 2 oclock now).

and believe it or not my wife came outside yesterday and asked which tank she could have to set up with fish she likes i couldnt believe it , but its good she is finally taking an interest in fish , maybe 2yr old rachel is showing her up by being able to point to different species of fish when asked
also i thought that id better mention that i am an electrician so i can help everbody with electrical questions if needed .

Last edited by dan76 at 01-Jan-2006 05:00

OH TOLEEDY!
dan76
----------
Big Fish
Always Reading Posts
male australia
i looked for the names of the plants on the packaging but didnt find the exact names , sorry ingo but i will name them when i am able

Last edited by dan76 at 01-Jan-2006 20:47

OH TOLEEDY!
dan76
----------
Big Fish
Always Reading Posts
male australia
here is a pic of my tank room

dan76 attached this image:

OH TOLEEDY!
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Dan,

Here is a shot straight back from the tank:

LITTLE_FISH attached this image:

LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
And here is one from the side, the area where the stairs come down into the basement. On the counter extension to the left off the picture is my 20G.

Ingo

LITTLE_FISH attached this image:

dan76
----------
Big Fish
Always Reading Posts
male australia
well i was finally well enough (i have a bad back) to go and pick up my new tankstand from my mate who welded it up for me(its been finished for about 8 weeks) so i can now get started to set up my next 4 4ft tanks.

Last edited by dan76 at 01-Dec-2005 21:38

try again with a smaller pic

Last edited by dan76 at 01-Dec-2005 21:39[/font]

OH TOLEEDY!
dan76
----------
Big Fish
Always Reading Posts
male australia
EditedEdited by dan76
well ive been away on holidays all the tanks are doing well except for the bottom right , it has blue green algae. should be interesting to get rid of.i dont have any problems getting it off the substrate but the leaves of my crypts is hard

any suggestions anyone?

OH TOLEEDY!
Post InfoPosted 29-Jan-2006 12:06Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
dan76
----------
Big Fish
Always Reading Posts
male australia
sorry ingo i didnt say thanks for the pics, i really like the chair directly in front of the tank .
must be a great place to sit after work

OH TOLEEDY!
Post InfoPosted 29-Jan-2006 12:33Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Dan,

Thanks for the thanks

The chair is actually a couch, so I can even fall asleep while staring at the tank (happened once so far).

BGA - not good. This is the tank with the long wood, right? I would assume it started out in a dead spot. The wood migh have a major impact on the current and some areas might become stale. Usually, if nothing else is off, that is where it starts.

Sounds odd that you cannot get it off the crypts, what seems to be the problem there?

How to treat it: Remove as much as you can by hand. Additional treatment varies, depending who you ask. I treated my tank with Mardel's Maracyn, but I believe this is not available in Australia, right? Most people suggest to give the tank 4+ days of a blackout.

If I am right about the lack of current then changing the layout or adding a powerhead will be helpful as well.

Hope this helps,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 29-Jan-2006 14:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
Kudos: 799
male usa
Very cool set up! I am looking forward to see whats coming next. How many tanks are in your fish room?

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/Ric
Post InfoPosted 29-Jan-2006 15:23Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
dan76
----------
Big Fish
Always Reading Posts
male australia
EditedEdited by dan76
wingsdlc, all these tanks except for the 75l, as for the crypts ingo , i guess ill have to try harder

OH TOLEEDY!
Post InfoPosted 30-Jan-2006 02:08Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Pretty sweet! Too bad I am getting married in May. I will probably have to do some really sweet talking or find some fish she really likes!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 30-Jan-2006 02:41Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
I will probably have to do some really sweet talking or find some fish she really likes

It is called a "Prenuptial Agreement", that is all you need .

Dan, this are liters, right?
The BGA should wipe off the crypt leaves just as easy as it got off the substrate. If that is not the case then this would be some other algae, maybe BBA.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 30-Jan-2006 12:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
It is called a "Prenuptial Agreement", that is all you need

You know, I have asked her about those and she just doesn't seem to keen on the idea....

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 30-Jan-2006 15:38Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
dan76
----------
Big Fish
Always Reading Posts
male australia
if she has more money than you worry about a prenup

yes , sizes are in litres, im too lazy to convert to gallons for all you foreign folks

OH TOLEEDY!
Post InfoPosted 31-Jan-2006 01:18Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
More money than me... nope she brings negitive money...ie... debt. I still love her though

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 31-Jan-2006 01:47Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
dan76
----------
Big Fish
Always Reading Posts
male australia
i also forgot to mention i have bought some new fish as well , 10 more cardinals for the annubias tank, that totals 20 , how many do you think i should have? and another 20 http://www.fishprofiles.com/profiles/profile.aspx?id=334 and one orange spot bristlenose but i havent seen him since i put him in the tank with the blue green algae so he maybe dead

OH TOLEEDY!
Post InfoPosted 05-Feb-2006 05:35Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Dan,

Maybe it is time for some photo updates on the tanks .

I love Dwarf Neon Rainbows, 20 of them must be very nice. What is your female / male ratio?

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 11-Feb-2006 13:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
LF,

I know have a total of 9 Dwarf Rainbows in my 40G long. 6M 3F. Some of my males were getting a little on edge with eachother and one seemed to not hang with the rest(runt). Last night i brought home 3 females to see if I could even things out with an odd number plus the females might take the males minds off of eachother...

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 11-Feb-2006 15:58Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
dan76
----------
Big Fish
Always Reading Posts
male australia
ok here are a few pics, i am still unsure as to how to plant the top two tanks, also i havent been able to get more substrate from my uncles house yet.
so any comments on plant styles would be good.

ok tank 1, top lhs

Attached Image:

OH TOLEEDY!
Post InfoPosted 12-Feb-2006 11:35Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
dan76
----------
Big Fish
Always Reading Posts
male australia
here is a close up of my sailfin pleco , also the male to female ratio of the dnr are 12 m to 10 f by my count

Attached Image:

OH TOLEEDY!
Post InfoPosted 12-Feb-2006 11:38Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
dan76
----------
Big Fish
Always Reading Posts
male australia
EditedEdited by dan76
tank 2 , top rhs

i just put the rock in there today, its about1 1/2 ft by 1 1/2 ft by 1 ft and has little holes and passages through it. i also drilled a few 25mm holes in it with a masonry drill and the clown loaches love to sleep half in half out.

i really want to get rid of the foam background because my bristle nose are eating it, and it looks crap. i will probably get one of the backgrounds from these guys http://www.universalrocks.com.au/aquarium.htm

Attached Image:

OH TOLEEDY!
Post InfoPosted 12-Feb-2006 11:49Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 12-Feb-2006 11:50
This post has been deleted
dan76
----------
Big Fish
Always Reading Posts
male australia
tank 3 , bottom lhs.

this tank wont change , i have it just the way i pictured it , maybe another 15 or 20 cardinals what do you think?

Attached Image:

OH TOLEEDY!
Post InfoPosted 12-Feb-2006 11:57Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
dan76
----------
Big Fish
Always Reading Posts
male australia
tank 4 ,bottom rhs.

this is the tank that had the bad case of bga , i put a towel over the front of the tank for two weeks to cut down light and got rid of the algae . one day this week i am going to put co2 on the tank to help stop the algea coming back and to give my crypts a boost.

Attached Image:

OH TOLEEDY!
Post InfoPosted 12-Feb-2006 12:02Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
dan76
----------
Big Fish
Always Reading Posts
male australia
here is the algae that was on the leaves

Attached Image:

OH TOLEEDY!
Post InfoPosted 12-Feb-2006 12:07Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
dan76
----------
Big Fish
Always Reading Posts
male australia
so comments , suggestions, all are welcome,

OH TOLEEDY!
Post InfoPosted 12-Feb-2006 12:13Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Dan,

Thanks for the updates

Here are some comments:

Overall - may I say Background for the first tank ?

The Rainbow tank is very very nice . I like your driftwood very much and it allows you to plant many different species that all would fit in. I think one limiting factor for the plant options could be you sandy substrate. But how about loads of fern, moss, and Anubias on the wood itself?
Your male / female ratio seems pretty equally balanced. I am curious to hear from you if you will observe the development of one dominant male who then will claim all the females, or what else might happen.

Your link in the Clown Loach tank post links to rocks. You want to create a rock background? Anyway, I agree that the existing one is not all that great . How eavy was that giant rock that you added? Try to get a closeup of a sleeper in it . Do they sleep head in or out?

Tank 3 looks very nice. I can't see it - is there a bottom crew in there? If not, how about a bunch of Cories? And yes, I am in favor of a large school (oh what a surprise) .

Tank 4 is the most serene and my favorite. Again, maybe a white background would help. Are you making progress on the algae war or is it coming back as fast as you remove it? The closeup of the crypt shows a very happy algae as you can see by all the bubbles it produces. How did you get it off in the end?

That's it for now, again - thanks for the update,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 12-Feb-2006 13:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
dan76
----------
Big Fish
Always Reading Posts
male australia
hi ingo,
less than 5 mins after reading your post i went outside and saw two of the younger males sparring , fiesty little buggers .i was also thinking of annubias on the drift wood and more wood.
the rock weighs about 20 - 25 kg a bit tricky standing on a ladder to get in the tank but it looks good, the cl always sleep head in and my bn pair has already claimed one of the drilled holes.
i was thinking of a school of 30 pygmy cories for tank 3 when i am more financial.
i want to make a diy background for t4 but i need some scraps of ducting from work, waiting watching, i have a link somewhere i will find it for you.
i used a gravel cleaner hose to get what i could of the bga and then just cut down lights for 2 weeks and put a small powerhead in to increase circulation.
if you scroll down the page in the link you come to their backgrounds, i have seen the aqua - 018 and it is exceptional, they are made of some sort of rubber and can be squashed and bent , very easy to get in the tank, if you can imagine the 018 is 4 foot long and the cave sections are pretty big.

any way time to back to work, up on the roof in the sun

thanks for the interest dan

OH TOLEEDY!
Post InfoPosted 13-Feb-2006 03:53Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
dan76,

Must be a lot of fun running that many set ups at once. Things are looking pretty good and I am having fun watching your tanks change.

Sun whats that? Here is nothing but snow and clouds...Welcome to MI, USA

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 13-Feb-2006 06:20Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
dan76
----------
Big Fish
Always Reading Posts
male australia
wings , my work phone has a thermometer on it , while i putting wires through the roof i left it sitting in the sun on the tin roof sheets and the temp went up to 69 degrees, but in the shade it was only 36 degrees.
3 1/2 hrs of roof work and now im ready for a few beers and playing under the sprinkler with my daughter.

OH TOLEEDY!
Post InfoPosted 13-Feb-2006 07:42Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
dan76
----------
Big Fish
Always Reading Posts
male australia
didnt say that from 7:30 to 12:00 i had nice easy jobs and got stuck in the sun in the middle of the day, good planning dan.

here is the link for the diy background ,http://www.duboisi.com/diy/BNdiygrotto/bndiygrotto.htm

should look really good with the substrate glued to it

OH TOLEEDY!
Post InfoPosted 13-Feb-2006 08:29Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 13-Feb-2006 08:38
This post has been deleted
dan76
----------
Big Fish
Always Reading Posts
male australia
EditedEdited by dan76
took a few photos in a rush this morning before work to try and get a pic of a cl in the rock

1st one, i love my rock

Attached Image:

OH TOLEEDY!
Post InfoPosted 13-Feb-2006 08:40Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
dan76
----------
Big Fish
Always Reading Posts
male australia
EditedEdited by dan76
couldnt have taken a better pic of my ute and the neighbours yard if i had been facing them

Attached Image:

OH TOLEEDY!
Post InfoPosted 13-Feb-2006 08:44Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies