L# hidding fish
 Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribehidding fish
Spaniard22
Small Fry
Kudos: 8
Votes: 1
male spain
I currently have a black ghost knife, a clown knife, albino Oscar and bichir.They all co-exist perfectly. No temperament problems. But the upsetting thing is that once anyone including me, they scatter and hide... of like to know if there's any real reason for this. or any info would be appreciated.
Post InfoPosted 06-May-2012 06:34Profile PM Edit Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi Spaniard,
Some of those fish grow quite large. I don't see that you mentioned what size tank you are keeping them in, nor do you say anything about what you have for hardscape (rocks, caves, etc.) or plants in the tank. With just one of each, it seems you have some tension within the tank and any disturbance sends them all flying. Consider the requirements of each group of fish. Are you meeting them? For instance look up the requirements of just the knife fish. Are you providing something so they feel safe and secure? Many will use a glass or clear plastic cylinder, open at both ends for circulation for the fish to rest inside of. The sensors along the sides of those fish convince it that it is safe within the confines of that cylinder. Check the others as well, do they do best with others of the same or similar species?
Unless they are "open water" fish, they need places to hide and to get out of the intense light from the light overhead. Plants with leaves to provide "shade" will eliminate the fear of overhead predation such as a bird flying overhead and it is "exposed" in a tank with nothing to hide under or in? Is the tank securely supported where it is, or is someones approach given away by a floor that shifts slightly or transmits a footstep through the tank?

Just some thoughts...

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 08-May-2012 00:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Spaniard22
Small Fry
Kudos: 8
Votes: 1
male spain
EditedEdited 08-May-2012 18:05
At the moment all the fish are on the small side. So I have them in a 60 gallon.for now. Im currently looking a much larger tanks. I have about 8 pieces of good sized drift wood. And i do not have floating plants. With also a few cave structures created and bought . so they do have a few places to hide. I recently put a plastic cylinder in there a few days ago. the tank is set up on a stand located near a wall in the living room.so it is secure.. thanks for the info about the floating plants. Never thought of it that way. Thank you... sorry if I seem defensive or anything. Just replying back. I'm on a mission now to find better hiding spots.
Post InfoPosted 08-May-2012 18:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
If they're new to the tank they will be a bit on the shy side till they settle down and feel comfortable. Even small they do want their own area. Personally I'd have those fish in their own larger tanks. Our oscar was in a 5' tank by himself and made full use of it.

You didn't mention how long you've had them. I know our oscar learned quite quickly what me walking down the stairs meant and would swim up to the glass wagging his tail begging to be fed as soon as he saw me.

With the plastic cylinder, I hope you made sure that the ends were smoothed down before putting it in the tank? If it has any sharp edges it can cause a fish to lose scales as it swims in or past it.

You could try smaller feedings that you do more frequently for a bit. Only give a small amount each time, but hang around a bit before and after feeding. They should get used to human movement = food and be more 'social'.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 14-May-2012 22:25Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
Do you have intense lighting? The clown knife will eventually eat everything else- the black ghost knife will be eaten first pending on how big it is now, they are very slow growers.
Some see-through tubing that sinks will help you a lot with the BGK, it will go in there and think its hidden. Clown knives like to just stay still and wait for something to go past - but like cover. Stick some big bushy live plants in there. The oscar will eat them, and should always be at the front of the tank, causing lots of filter food!
Post InfoPosted 04-Oct-2012 02:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies