L# new 50 gallon tall tank
 Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribenew 50 gallon tall tank
ztb23
Hobbyist
Kudos: 137
Votes: 0
EditedEdited 15-Feb-2014 04:54
Out of the blue my dad brought home a 50 gallon upright aquarium with a stand. I get paid tomorrow so I would like to go ahead and get it set up with substrate, plants and ornaments so that its already set up for a fishless cycle, or not so fishless if someone can recommend some good hardy fish aside from zebra danios.

I want it to be a tropical freshwater aquarium after its cycle is complete. I would like to stock it with guppies, angel fish, oto cats, african feather fin catfish, a few female bettas, and 5 or 6 black kuhli loaches.

based on the fish listed, is there a particular way I should decorate the tank? Are there any issues concerning compatibility? I know that the loaches and bettas in particular will want places to hide, and I know that the loaches will want soft substrate. How many of each should I get? Does anyone have any suggestions as to what else I could add? Anything i should leave out?

How can I jump start the nitrogen cycle if I decide to cycle it fishless without buying some expensive product?

Pictures of the tank and stand once its cleaned and placed where I want it.
Post InfoPosted 15-Feb-2014 03:00Profile PM Edit Report 
ztb23
Hobbyist
Also I want to use red colored sand as a substrate, so i want the decorations to clash with the color. I was thinking slate structures would look very good with it. Could someone post a link for me to a site that sells tall slate structures for general decoration and small structures for hiding?
Post InfoPosted 15-Feb-2014 08:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ztb23
Hobbyist
I'm failing to find any tall decorations that I like that are slate or slate colored. Nor can I find a supplier that sells pieces of slate the size I want so that I can build my own. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
Post InfoPosted 15-Feb-2014 09:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ztb23
Hobbyist
im sorry i keep asking so many questions. hopefully this will be it for a while. after doing a lot more research ive decided against angel fish in the aquarium. i still need a colorful fish that will stay almost strictly in the middle of the tank. i would like it to be yellow or gold in color and anywhere from 1 to 3 inches at max length. does anyone have a good suggestion?
Post InfoPosted 16-Feb-2014 10:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies