L# Dying Anemone
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeDying Anemone
dsphero
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 1
Votes: 0
the dog faced puffer that my step son picked up has taken to picking apart one on my anemones. the anemone is still technecaly in one piece, though it now looks like a a chunk of melted ice cream. the tenticals that are left are tightly tucked to the stock, which now only has its color in one particular place. i have my hospital set up and will shortly be to tempurature. should i give it a try? am i going to put my other anemone at risk if its already dead? or should i just send it off to porcelin paradise?? please help me out. thank you.
Post InfoPosted 13-May-2008 03:27Profile PM Edit Report 
Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
Kudos: 1350
Votes: 730
female australia au-victoria
I am going to move you to the SW forums as I think you will get more answers there.

-Lindy

Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Post InfoPosted 15-May-2008 00:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
Firstly, what sort of anemone is it?
Dog faced puffers will nip anything they can normally, anemone, corals etc even macro algae aparantly.
If possible, i would advise removing the puffer rather than the anemone, as i suspect the Qteen tank is not a fully mature setup? and the lighting etc..plus, the stress of moving the anemone might just kill it anyway.
If he dosnt reply, pm mattyboombatty or ACIDRAIN i reckon.
James
Post InfoPosted 17-May-2008 23:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
Yep, I agree with Mez here. A dog faced puffer makes your setup invert unsafe. If you want corals, anems, shrimps or crabs, then you need to find another home for your dogface puffer.

Unfortunately, it doesn't sound good for your anemone. Moving it to an unestablished tank, especially one with inadequate lighting and flow, will certainly kill an already very stressed anem.

One thing to keep in mind - dying anems can quickly foul even a large tank. This can stress and kill the other inhabitants of that tank. So if you don't think the anemone is going to make it, it might be best to remove both the puffer and the anemone for the health of the rest of the system.

I'd like to ask you some general questions about your tank to hopefully avoid future problems. If you could shoot out your tank size, age, LR quantity, inhabitants, filtration, lighting, etc. we will be able to help you out more.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 17-May-2008 23:31Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
ACIDRAIN

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 1381
Votes: 416
male usa us-ohio
Yep, in agreement here as well. If you are going to keep anything at all, other than fish, in that tank, the dogfaced puffy will definitely have to go.

On the other note, if the anemonee does die, you will need to remove it imediately. As they will quickly "desolve" into the water and depending on how large it it, can cause some nasty and rather large ammonia spikes. Sometimes they can cause your entire cycle to crash hard.

There is always a bigger fish...
Post InfoPosted 19-May-2008 07:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies