Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeHair Algae
fishkid99
----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 218
Votes: 39
male usa
what is a succesful and easy way to get rid of hair algae? because i got a lot of it and it killed some of my coral.

ive herd RO water helps but i cant afford one right now but maybe in the next month. Any other ways?

thanks in advance!

>>>----> <----<<<

pnh
Post InfoPosted 19-Apr-2006 17:08Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
Buy it by the jug for water changes and top offs until you can afford your own RO unit. Try to aim for an RO/DI unit if you can. I got mine off of ebay from aquasafe systems for $150, it's a 6 stage 100gpd RO/DI unit, works great. I think they have an aquarium specific one now for less, it just leaves out the reservoir.

There are others on ebay that seem to be quality, I just haven't bought from them myself so I can't recommend them.

You can get a few astrea snails and a couple hermits too. They will munch on algae. Keeping up on water changes helps. Carbon and a phosphate removal media can put a dent in some of the things that cause algae.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 19-Apr-2006 17:24Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
fishkid99
----------
Enthusiast
male usa
yeah i like the idea of buying jugs but im worried that with my luck id pick out the brand that stores their water in copper tanks before packaging them so yeah unless you know a company that doesnt. But i guess i could call a help line for the company and ask...

thanks

>>>----> <----<<<

pnh
Post InfoPosted 20-Apr-2006 02:28Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Sometimes your LFS will sell RO water that they made. Mine does. It's not the purest, it tests out at about 10-15 TDS, but thats better than the 150 TDS that comes out the tap. I had to use that for a while and didn't have any algae troubles, except for the first month of cycling.

Post InfoPosted 20-Apr-2006 03:14Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
fishkid99
----------
Enthusiast
male usa
and ive got more algae problems.... what the heck is this algae is make thin slimmy matts on the rock worrk and gravel.

Attached Image:

yuck

>>>----> <----<<<

pnh
Post InfoPosted 20-Apr-2006 03:15Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
fishkid99
----------
Enthusiast
male usa
well my LFS ,impretty shure, doesnt sell it though i can check. But theire is a new store in town that may sell it so ill try them but their new so i doubt it..

>>>----> <----<<<

pnh
Post InfoPosted 20-Apr-2006 03:32Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
fishkid99
----------
Enthusiast
male usa
well my LFS ,impretty shure, doesnt sell it though i can check. But theire is a new store in town that may sell it so ill try them but their new so i doubt it..

>>>----> <----<<<

pnh
Post InfoPosted 20-Apr-2006 03:32Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
EditedEdited by mattyboombatty
Looks to be a bit of the cyano. That can be a tough lot to get rid of. I'd check this thread and consider every single point.

thin slimmy matts

Hey...it sounds there like you are making fun of how skinny I am. (<----thin skinny Matt?) Not very nice you know. See how easily poor spelling can be interpreted as an insult? sheesh

Post InfoPosted 20-Apr-2006 04:11Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
I've been using $.25/gallon refill water from grocery stores without much trouble. The only problem I've had is it tests a little phosphate but it's still far better than using tapwater. I think all the refill machines around here are culligan. There are also some water companies that will deliver ro water to your door and they can tell you how it's stored. Copper isn't used all that often anymore and most if not all of the plumbing in ro units and storage tanks is pvc or other some other type of plastic.
Post InfoPosted 20-Apr-2006 05:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
dthurs
---------------
---------------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 4170
Votes: 529
male usa
What might help is a phosphate sponge. You add this to your HOB filter and it will remove the phosphates in the water, which is most likly what is causing the hair algea.

Dan
Post InfoPosted 20-Apr-2006 13:46Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
ACIDRAIN

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 1381
Votes: 416
male usa us-ohio
As Dan stated there, the cause of the hair algae is high levels of phosphates. And you can purchase several different types of phosphate removers at most any LFS. I recomend those that look like filter pads. I have heard the best results from them. And they are relatively in-expensive.
You might also invest in some hermit crabs as they will eat it as well. Also, a lawnmower blenny will much it too. These will help to keep it under control, but rarely will rid your tank of it. If your tank is 55gal or larger, try two lawnmower blennys.

The slime is most probably cyano, as mentioned already. This need removed, because if it covers your coral it will block out light and end up killing your coral. Even on the LR it will block out light and kill anything on there that is light needing.

There is always a bigger fish...
Post InfoPosted 20-Apr-2006 15:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Patchy
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 195
Votes: 0
copper tanks are very rarely if ever used anymore cause of metal gives of a tinnish taste with liquid when kept for extended periods.

rO water and phosphate pad in a HOb filter should help
Post InfoPosted 20-Apr-2006 18:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies