Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeMoveing a tank
MICHAELF
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 6
Votes: 1
male usa
i have to move my 55gal tank to have tile put down whats the best way to go about this?
Post InfoPosted 20-Apr-2006 20:40Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
Patchy
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 195
Votes: 0
best idea is to drain it
Post InfoPosted 21-Apr-2006 05:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
dthurs
---------------
---------------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 4170
Votes: 529
male usa
I'm sorry, there is really no other way to move it other then drain it. The tank is about 500 pounds full, and it's also very dangerous to move full. So drain it in to tubs, leave a few inches in the bottom to keep the substrate wet.

Dan
Post InfoPosted 21-Apr-2006 06:25Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
swiftshark88
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 143
Votes: 61
male usa
and be very careful, even with the substrate and that small amount of water on the bottom, the tank is still going to be pretty heavy, you dont want the bottom pane of glass to crack, which is your main fear.

When you move it, keep everything level, that way the weight of the water and the substrate will not shift at all, putting more pressure on one area of the glass than another.

Nick
"Impossumable- unable to play dead"
Post InfoPosted 21-Apr-2006 16:53Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
MICHAELF
-----
Fingerling
male usa
I can probably get a buddy to help me and after i drain it i can just slide the stand with the tank on it to keep from putting pressure on the tank.so save the water in buckets put the water back in after im done.

so with the fish bag them and return them like i whould any other time?
Post InfoPosted 21-Apr-2006 17:00Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
swiftshark88
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 143
Votes: 61
male usa
you can bag them, but when my friend move his tank, (which was a little bigger) we used really big rubbermaid bins more like tubs, that held about 30 gal each to hold the water, and we just put the fish in there

that way they're in their original water, and they have plenty of room, and there is plenty of surface area on the water for oxygen. they probably wont get as stressed.

make sure that the bins or tubs you use are washed out before you put tank water in them.

i'd suggest just spraying them down with warm/hot water.

Nick
"Impossumable- unable to play dead"
Post InfoPosted 21-Apr-2006 17:04Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
MICHAELF
-----
Fingerling
male usa
now that i think about it that is how i moved my freshwater fish i put them in that little tub and put a air stone in there with them.
Post InfoPosted 21-Apr-2006 17:46Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies