Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeWanting to start my FIRST saltwater tank
spankym13
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 56
Votes: 1
male usa
Well hey ya'll, I'm new to this topic. I have been wanting a saltwater tank for a few years now, just dont have alota room in our house for a big tank but i have seen some 29 and smaller nano set ups in the LFS. I have a 20 gal freshwater, and a 29gal brackish tank. I was wondering if you could tell me some good info and how to get started and not screw up. Also what fish would I be able to get for a set up of these sizes and how many? Also what does is cost on a monthly average for these types of tanks so im fully ready for my new hobbie addition. I LOVE these fish!!!!! Thanks,
Mike
Post InfoPosted 23-Feb-2008 23:05Profile PM Edit Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
I am along with you too spanky. i want to start a SW tank, but supplies and knowledge of how to do so are limited. so i will be a regular watcher of this thread to find out along with you.. hope you dont mind!!!!

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 23-Feb-2008 23:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
spankym13
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
No Thats AWSOME!!! We can learn and work together!!
Post InfoPosted 23-Feb-2008 23:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Melosu58
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 86
Votes: 0
male usa
The first thing I would do is read the articles from this site. After that I have this article from a friend of mine. It talks about all the equipment needs and what they are needed for.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/stock-list-tips-maintaining-your-sw-tank-73477.html
Post InfoPosted 24-Feb-2008 00:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Melosu58
----------
Hobbyist
male usa
Also if you have any questions just ask. There are some knowledgable folks here.
Post InfoPosted 24-Feb-2008 00:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
lol spanky that what i was thinking...

and thanks melosu58. look like good stuff.

Post InfoPosted 24-Feb-2008 00:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
i saw dmasels at my LFS for a low cost, would these be ok in a small say 20-29g. and how many?

i also am aware that the same gallon per inch rule doesnt apply with SW tanks. could you tell us how you determine stocking?

Post InfoPosted 24-Feb-2008 00:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
First you have to realize that most damsels will be extremely aggressive and territorial. Then you have to find out the name of each for more specific info.

To determine stocking levels in your tank, we have to know everything about your tank. Filters, flow, amount of LR, protein skimmer, water change schedule, sump, refugium etc. If you have a really nice setup you can house a lot more fish than you can with a tank that only has a HOB filter.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 24-Feb-2008 01:15Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
spankym13
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
What about fish only saltwater tank? And tanks with coral and such whats the main difference? Also I've seen a lot of 12gal nanos around in the store that come with everything. are thos pretty much useless?
Post InfoPosted 24-Feb-2008 01:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
Not really, but it depends what you want, and knowing that you'll only have room for a few corals and will then want (need..) a bigger tank so you can have more corals.
In a 12 gallon nano, typically you could keep a few soft corals and a small fish with some nice dancing/  shrimp, with the emphasis being on the corals normally..
Post InfoPosted 24-Feb-2008 02:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
spankym13
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
Whats about a fish only tank with the nano?
Post InfoPosted 24-Feb-2008 02:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male uk
thats possible, but again if we're talking about one of these twelve gallon plug+play type nanos, they normally come with lighting sufficient enough to keep things such as mushrooms and gorgonians.
Post InfoPosted 24-Feb-2008 04:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
EditedEdited by Shinigami
spanky, it's apparent you want a fish only (FO), with probably the reasoning that it will be much easier. Fish can take more trouble their way than your average invert, so this is partially true; that said, some of the simpler corals can do okay if you do your research and make sure things run smoothly. In a 12 gallon tank you will not have too much room for many fish, but you would have room for those fun things that don't need so much room to swim about such as inverts. I'm not sure in a tank that small more than two (maybe three?) fish would fit in there.

brandeeno, damsels are generally aggressive, which not only is troublesome in keeping multiples but also if you want more fish in the future. In nature they naturally pick out a small patch of algae and fiercely defend it from all trespassers. That said, there are exceptions. Chromis are peaceful, schooling species of damsel. In this case you could/should get a few of them.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 24-Feb-2008 05:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
spankym13
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
Hey, Ok yea I'll think bout that. I really like the clown fish. And I heard there were a few more I could add. SO the nano setups are ok? I've never looked into coral and such so.I just want a Nice smaller tank with some fish and such. To get my feet wet for when WE get our Bigger house in a few years and I have room for a bigger tank.
Post InfoPosted 24-Feb-2008 08:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Melosu58
----------
Hobbyist
male usa
EditedEdited by Melosu58
A nano will work but just so you know that they are less forgiving than your bigger tanks. The less the water volume the more trouble you will have from oversight or mistakes. I`m not saying it wont work but I am saying that you will need to be more dilligent. I would also suggest a FOWLR tank as the LR will give you some great biological filtration . JMO
Post InfoPosted 24-Feb-2008 21:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
spankym13
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
Ok, Yea I knew a smaller tank would end up being more work. but I gotta work with the space I'v got. I'll GEt the biggest one I can for sure. Im hoping like 20-29gal. And Yea I'll prolly find some live rock and The more I look around the more intrsted in the coral I'am. What could you tell me about that? My LFS Has some nano cubes complete setup on sale for pretty cheap so im goin to look tody! What else would I be able to have with the clowns if i get say 12-20gal
Post InfoPosted 24-Feb-2008 21:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
spankym13
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
Well I'm really eyeballing a 24gal
Post InfoPosted 24-Feb-2008 22:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male uk
which 24g is it? is it the deltec (d+d) Nano?
If so, buy it.
12 gallon is a lot differnet to 20 gallon when we're considering fish, i mean, even physically size wize..A pair of clowns would be it...they dont stay as small as you see them in the LFS. You'd eventually want an anemone for them to host in or some sort of replicating coral i bet...thats the way it goes..
Shinigami - i think three fish in a 12 gallon nano would be pushing it. i have 4 in my 24gallon and im fully stocked and doing water changes twice a week..
Some coral's don't need any care at all. you can grow mushrooms in the dark, almost...i think if the parameters are acceptable for fish to live in then some corals like mushrooms wouldnt give you any need for wory. You do not have to feed most soft corals, they take their energy/food from the lighting, which with mushrooms corals can be minimal..
Post InfoPosted 24-Feb-2008 23:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Haha, Mez, I knew I was probably overestimating. Don't mind me...

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 25-Feb-2008 00:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male uk
EditedEdited by Mez

Can't wait for yours shinigami..
Post InfoPosted 25-Feb-2008 00:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies