Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeWanting to start my FIRST saltwater tank
spankym13
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 56
Votes: 1
male usa
Whats better the 24gal jbj, or the 29gal bio-cube by oceanic. my LFS has a special on the bio-cube for like 199.99 until tommorow?
Post InfoPosted 25-Feb-2008 01:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
what about the damsels commonly used as feeders?

also how would one go about creating their own SW tank using say a standard 20g tank?

what are the necessary filteration needs and lighting needs?

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 25-Feb-2008 07:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
the JBJ is the Deltec Nano - that's the best nano you can buy for around that sort of money..Orcas are rubbish, ive not tried any others.
Damsels are aggressive, and turn ugly when they get bigger....surely you'd just rather save up for two weeks and get a fish you like and matches your system rather than something you have to have because its cheap.
there's a reason why fish are cheap normally.
Cheap fish you might want to look at are stuff like cleaner wrasse, neon gobies (i would highly reccomend these over cleaner wrasse as the neons are often cultivated in home aquaria and are perfectly adapted specimens), ocellaris clowns, dwarf fuzzy lionfish (will eat small fish and DEFINATLY small shrimps and crabs), yellow headed jawfish, watchman gobies, royal grammas (bit territorial), strawberry grammas etc. All these fish are under £20 each...about $40.
If you're seriously not prepared to spend that on a fish, dont buy the system and waste it on two damsels..
Post InfoPosted 25-Feb-2008 19:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
EditedEdited by Shinigami
brandeeno, I'm not aware of damsels being sold as feeders; at least, none of the LFSes here do that. Also, the necessary filtration and lighting you can get depends on what you want to do. If you want a reef it's going to make it a lot different than an aquarium with fish and live rock. For example, on my 55 gallon with 40 watts NO fluorescent I'm not going to be keeping 99% of corals anytime soon as they tend to be photosynthetic. Since I'm keeping nothing that's really photosynthetic, lights only have to be good enough for viewing.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 25-Feb-2008 20:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
spankym13
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
So, The bio-cube I should stay away from and find a jbj 24gal
Post InfoPosted 25-Feb-2008 21:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
spankym13
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
Also is a 24gal a decent size if im wanting some fish? I've heard the bio-cube by oceanic is a good set up? but hey im new so just wanna make sure!! I cant find jbj here I'd have to order. And the Bio-cube is what my stores have!
Post InfoPosted 25-Feb-2008 21:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
well i wasnt sure as popular freshwater fish tend to be lower priced and i didnt know (ie neon tetras like 50cents to $1.50...

ok so tell me a good system and a price and i will set a target saving rate for before summer as i know there is no way i can save up arround a grand before summer seeing as i already owe my dad $500 for my trip to AUS and i gotta pay that!

anyways, just let me know a site that sells them or whatever so i can keep watch and also what i need to to get for one (ie live sand, live rock, live tank cleaners, corals, fish, etc.)

also what is the most ideal ornamental fish for a tank about 24g that would withstand error on a beginner?

THANKS!!!

Post InfoPosted 26-Feb-2008 08:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Alaska
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 9
Votes: 6
female usa
EditedEdited by Alaska
Neon gobies!!!!

Adorable little gems, they are. I think if you like clownfish, you should go in that direction though, since they are easy to care for and can take a little abuse.

Glad you found someone who could help you sort out the kit thing.
Don't forget... protein skimmers are our friends...

~~<><~~><>~~
"When push comes to shove, you gotta do what you love, even if it's not a good idea"
Post InfoPosted 28-Feb-2008 03:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
spankym13
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
Hey ya'll Before I got pick up a tank what is better, the 29gal oceanic bio-cube, or a jbj 24gal?
Post InfoPosted 28-Feb-2008 05:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
spankym13
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
or the aqua -pod 24gal? I've had a lot of people tell me a lot of different opinions so far so....... Do they all pretty much have the same stuff?
Post InfoPosted 28-Feb-2008 07:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
I think they are all pretty similar. I'm not positive on the equipment on each, but I'd look for one that has nice big fans and glass instead of acrylic.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 28-Feb-2008 17:43Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
The 24 deltecs have come down ridiculously in price sine the new Deltec 28 was launched, all kitted out, and £600!
Post InfoPosted 29-Feb-2008 03:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ACIDRAIN

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 1381
Votes: 416
male usa us-ohio
EditedEdited by ACIDRAIN
pfft. I like my 24 gallon Current USA AquaPod HQI better than all the other nanos. I especially love the 150w 14K HQI lighting with lunar lights. Had to take it down, but hoping to have it set up again in the near future.

There is always a bigger fish...
Post InfoPosted 29-Feb-2008 04:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
wow that is a nice set up, do the stock lights provide enough energy for photosynthetic corals and anemones?

Post InfoPosted 29-Feb-2008 05:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
spankym13
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
Well Looks like i better order either a aquapod or a jbj nano. The oceanic was my first choice cuz it's bigger by 5gal. But the aquapod/jbj have 3 stage filter vs the 2stage in the oceanic. Im thinking the jbj is best because it has a 36W light vs the 32W in the aquapod. Plus it has two cooling fans on it and aquapod only has one. Well let me know what ya'll think

Post InfoPosted 29-Feb-2008 06:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ACIDRAIN

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 1381
Votes: 416
male usa us-ohio
brandeeno, they provide more than enough lighting for photosynthesis within the corals. I had a 3-4cm diameter brain coral that came in on some live rock. It grew to over 15cm in less than a year. And a 2 head hammer frag that I got, had 6 heads in a year.

I had to take my tank down when I moved. And have not set it back up yet, because I don't know how long I will be here. But, since I have now been here for almost a year, I am thinking about setting it back up. Even though I still don't know how long I will be here yet, lol.

There is always a bigger fish...
Post InfoPosted 29-Feb-2008 15:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies