AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# General
 L# Getting Started
  L# 6 Gallon Tank Stocking and Cycling.
 Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribe6 Gallon Tank Stocking and Cycling.
Gomer
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Small Fry with BBQ Sauce
Kudos: 1709
Votes: 106
male australia au-newsouthwales
Hi all. Finally started to set up a tank after many years without one. It is a tiny thing compared to what I was use to (55 gallon). Only 6 gallons. I have white silica based sand as the substrate, which does not contain carbonates, so will not affect the pH. Still waiting for my aquaclear mini to arrive in the post from Mum. Have the correct sized heater and the tank is full of water. Also bought a nitrite and ammonia test kit today, don't need the nitrate kit as I will be changing the water weekly.

Could someone give me a run down on how to fishless cycle. I heard 4 - 5 drops of ammonia per 10 gallons every day until nitrite appears, then 2 drops after that until the ammonia drops and there is no nitrite. That right?

Also need help stocking the tank. There is so little to choose from for a tank this small. Was thinking a 3 Corys of some sort, 5 or 6 small Tetras (no idea what type) and maybe 1 Blue/Bolivian Ram.

Any and all suggestions welcome.
Post InfoPosted 21-Oct-2008 08:46Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
Gomeeee! Welcome back!

Is it just a glass tank or a kit/brand name tank?

Are you going to plant it? If so, I'd be tempted to just cycle it with a fish or two and let the plants take care of the spikes.

I can't quite recall the ammonia drop amount (where are you finding pure ammonia? I've only been able to get cloudy for the last 4 years or so), but what you've said sounds close.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 21-Oct-2008 14:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Another way to do the fishless cycle is put in enough ammonia to read maybe 5 ppm on your test kit, and then keep adding ammonia regularly. It might seem like a lot of ammonia, but doing it this way means that you will have a strong bacteria colony. The amount of bacteria that develops during the fishless cycle is proportional to the amount of ammonia you add (up to the point that you add so much ammonia that you kill the bacteria...).

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 21-Oct-2008 20:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Gomer
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Small Fry with BBQ Sauce
EditedEdited by Gomer
Abzy! Thought you'd still be elbow deep in ya tanks!

You're not meant to use cloudy ammonia?

I could only find cloudy ammonia and started using it as I remembered something about cloudy ammonia in the back of my mind. Is it okay to use?

The tank is an AquaOne glass tank, but I'm not going to use the hopeless HOB filter that came with it. Still waiting for my AquaClear mini and heater to arrive in the post from Mum.

I don't think I'm going to plant it per se. Thinking of buying one of those pieces of driftwood with anubias growing on it. Might also get some java fern from my folks place (was $6 per plant at the fish store, bloody ridiculous), and might buy some java moss also.

So what about fish stocking?

EDIT// Have the tank at 5ppm at the moment. Don't have access to a dropper so I'm using a syringe and adding drops that way, can be hard to do sometimes. So just add 2 - 4 drops daily from now on?
Post InfoPosted 22-Oct-2008 00:36Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Course i'm still here And that is probably closer to armpit deep

Cloudy has soaps in it, HOWEVER I know people who've used it no dramas. They do a massive WC at the end to clear it out. They don't have related deaths, but I'd still be cautious. Can you sweet talk the science people at uni?

Is it Splish&Splash? They are nice tanks really, I love mine Whack the other filter on for the time being, and then you can just run both for a while when the other one arrives. It should move it along a bit quicker.

gtg, need to get to LFS before it closes! will think about stocking.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 22-Oct-2008 05:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Gomer
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Small Fry with BBQ Sauce
Splish&splash? Your western Sydney slang goes right over the top of my head sometimes. If you mean new, then it is not. Only a few years old and it is in pretty good nick.

Am now thinking more along the lines of maybe some Kuhli Loaches. They enjoy company don't they? So I'll need maybe 3?

Three or four Kuhli Loaches, one Bolivian/Blue Ram and 5 Neon tetras or Harlequin Rasboras. Is that over stocked? I think it might be. Maybe I should just get the Kuhlis and the Tetra/Rasboras?
Post InfoPosted 22-Oct-2008 11:28Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
splish&splash is a type of AquaOne tank. Usually they come with filters so I had a guess Is it all glass or with a plastic base/lid? Western Sydney slang indeed

Yeah, I'd drop the centrepiece fishy. Maybe look at black neons or lambchop rasboras too, just for something different. If you happen to be able to find microrasboras, that'd be even better.

Post InfoPosted 23-Oct-2008 06:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Gomer
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Small Fry with BBQ Sauce
EditedEdited by Gomer
Yeah it does have a little aquaone HOB filter with it, and it does have little plastic clip on things that you put on the top so the glass lids can sit on the top. Might be a splish&splash tank then. lol

Never heard of lambchops before or microrasboras either. Will have to look into them. The fish store I bought the sand and test kits from seemed really good and had some storage tanks for people to pick fish up they either ordered in or had there while they were on holidays or something. Should be able to order any fish in from them.

Edit// Could someone give me the scientific name of microrasbora and maybe link me to some profiles? Can't seem to find much using google.

Edit// I don't know if I'd be able to get some ammonia from the chem labs. I could try but I think the lab people will just give me funny looks and tell me to leave.
Post InfoPosted 24-Oct-2008 01:26Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Ahhhh, I know the ones, not a Splish&splash, the snazzy glass ones. Curved front or square corners?

Ahh, I'd approach the chem folks and ask where you might be able to find it due to commercial stuff having soaps blah blah. Looks less shifty Best case the offer you some, but they'll probably just tell you they don't know where to get any.

Boraras maculatus I think are the micros I've seen up here. I have 2 (out of and original 5) and they are tough as boots. Make sure they are in good nick if you go with them, of my 5, 2 were very wormy-looking) You can more easily find Galaxy Rasboras, but they are close on $60 each and you are but a poor uni student (not that I can afford them either, or justify that much on such a tiddly fishy, but you have a much better excuse )

Post InfoPosted 24-Oct-2008 16:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
gomeee

You can also just use plain fish food, it decomposes and starts the ammonia building process. It takes longer but imo it's better than using soap

BTW, spotted this article while looking for the nitrogen cycle FAQ.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 25-Oct-2008 00:14Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Gomer
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Small Fry with BBQ Sauce
EditedEdited by Gomer
I've taken some crappy photos of what the tank looks like. They can be found here: http://www.fishprofiles.com/files/threads/38329.1.htm?2#

The tank has been cycling for around 3 weeks now and I still am not getting any nitrite readings, but my ammonia readings are still ~5ppm. Is it meant to take this long?
Post InfoPosted 09-Nov-2008 07:05Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
[link=Gomer's Tank]http://fishprofiles.com/files/threads/38329.1.htm?2#[link]

That link did not work try this one.

I have only done fish cycles but remember it is a small tank and every thing seems harder to get it correct.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 09-Nov-2008 07:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Gomer
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Small Fry with BBQ Sauce
Might want to re-edit you last post Keigth. Seems you're having similar troubles as me when posting. lol
Post InfoPosted 09-Nov-2008 07:40Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
First time I tried your link it did now work that is the reason I did the link to that page if you wanted to go directly to the photo that is a totally different link.

Do you know how to do that? If not I will PM you the instructions.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 10-Nov-2008 01:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies