AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# General
 L# Getting Started
  L# 80 gallon 4-5 feet from wood stove.
 Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribe80 gallon 4-5 feet from wood stove.
steven1982
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 74
Votes: 38
male canada
I am in my new home and it looks like the only way I can get my furniture around my TV with the 80 gallon tank in a nice place is to have the fish tank 4-5 feet from the wood stove. What do you think? will the tank get to warm?
Post InfoPosted 18-Aug-2009 23:18Profile PM Edit Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland

Congrats on the new place

I'm a bit worried about it, not because it'd make the tank too warm, I doubt it'd raise the temp too high over the tank temp. I'd make sure the heater is set as far away from the stove as possible, that way it will still turn on when needed. To start with I'd have a thermometer in both ends of the tank to make sure that the tank temp is consistent, you can add a powerhead to help water circulation if there are cold spots.

My big worry is that the glass and silicone may be under too much stress from temp fluctuations on a daily basis. I know my parents use their fireplace to heat the downstairs pretty much on a daily basis. They don't leave it running at night though (obviously) and the downstairs can get quite cool, I think the thermostat is set to 50 down there, but then warm up to upper 70's once the fires been going. I know glass doesn't like sudden changes and fires would be a more steady slow increase, but still, not sure what the effects that would have. Obviously the further away from the stove it can be the better, and the less changes the better.

That's my take on it anyway .

^_^

Post InfoPosted 19-Aug-2009 01:49Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Not only could/will your water receive extra heat but a big concern what ever it is standing on especially if it is a wooden tank stand the heat will dry out the timber very fast.
I personally would be looking for another location for the tank.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 19-Aug-2009 06:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
steven1982
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 74
Votes: 38
male canada
EditedEdited 24-Aug-2009 21:22
I think that I will leave the tank 12 feet away from the stove which will put the Love seat 4 feet from the stove. The tank may be in the way of the love seat to the TV but this will give me the winter to find out how hot it will get, if the tank is in the way of the TV and is the love seat to close to the stove.
Better safe then sorry.
Babefish, I have a powerhead all ready and I run two heaters, one on each side off the tank (I have had a heater break full on and cooked my fish. Two smaller heater will prevent this from happening again).
Post InfoPosted 24-Aug-2009 21:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies