L# Aquarium Size Help
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeAquarium Size Help
RLHam3
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 34
Votes: 0
hey i've got a 10 gal tank. it measurments are 20x10x12. problem is that i want i largee tank. is there a standard a tank that would still have a base of 20x10 and just be taller? (15 gal?)

if not then is it ok for me to put a 15-20gal on the stand even if a little overhangs. is that bad for the aquarium? i just know how expensive stands usually are
Post InfoPosted 11-Sep-2008 22:20Profile PM Edit Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Tanks are supported by their edges not the bottom, so if the tank overhangs even just a little, you're running a massive risk.

I've found that the wire frame tank stands are usually fairly cheap. Got one from Petco I think for my 20 that was around $20 at the time. Granted that was a few years ago.

I'm not sure about same footprint as a 10, but I'm fairly certain that a 29 has the same footprint as a 20.

Keep in mind however, that if you are keeping the footprint the same size the surface area is also the same size, and that will reduce how many fish you can have in the tank. No matter how large a tank is gallonwise, the surface area is the final determinant in how many fish can live happy and healthy lives under your care.

If money is the cause, most of us can understand that! Keep an eye on the classified ads in the papers. I got a 30 long for my work through one of the freebie papers that usually get thrown out. If space is the problem, and I can understand that, try considering what can be moved in order to fit a new tank in. I ended up rearranging my whole living room just to fit a stock tank in the corner for a rescued goldfish !

^_^

Post InfoPosted 12-Sep-2008 01:04Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
If is just the standard made tank stand you can fix a 3/4ins particle board which can extend a little over the edge of the frame by that I mean a inch or two, if you want to go much more eg 6ins this can still be done BUT you would have to have supporting brackets fitted to the tank stand frame to support the extra over hang.

Not knowing any thing about your tank stand it is difficult to say with safety exactly what can be done. If you know some one with good wood working skills get them to check it out for you

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 12-Sep-2008 05:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Ira
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 181
Votes: 1
male newzealand
Most tanks are not supported by their edges, at least not around here(We'll ignore how stupid itis not having the bases supported)

An inch or so if it's only one the sides should be fine, the actual unsupported forces would be pretty minimal and it's braced pretty well. But you're better off getting a piece of MDF or similar to match the base.
Post InfoPosted 13-Sep-2008 09:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies