AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# General
 L# Getting Started
  L# Community Tank Cichlids with others?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeCommunity Tank Cichlids with others?
mcease
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 8
Votes: 0
Hi,

I am getting back into the hobby after being out of it for quite a few years. I have a 46g tank and want to make a community tank. I wont have any live plants for now. I was wondering if I could put Silver Dollars, Clown loach, neon tetra or cardinal tetras, Denisoni Barbs, orange chromide cichlid, golden ram cichlid together. I named these chiclids becuase they are apparently peaceful. Is this a possible combination? can you put any cichlids with other community fish without the cichlids killing the other fish? I find cichlids' habbits interesting that is why I would like a couple, but would like a peaceful tank.

Thanks in advanced.

Post InfoPosted 18-Jan-2010 19:30Profile Homepage AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Report 
Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
Kudos: 1350
Votes: 730
female australia au-victoria
You could start out with a 46g tank with a selection of those fish.
Silver dollars and the denisoni barbs will grow to 6inch or so, and the clown loaches grow slow but eventually quite large too.
As far as the cichlid choice, I would pick the ram. Another choice would be one of the apitsogramma species as they stay small and are quite pretty.

Good luck with what you choose.

Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Post InfoPosted 18-Jan-2010 21:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mcease
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 8
Votes: 0
Thanks for the tip on the Apistogramma - these are beautiful. Thanks I am excited that they can live together in harmony. I will think about the size of the fish I mentioned - I know the denisoni barbs get quite big but they are very good looking fish and I fell in love with them after seeing them at my local fish store.

thanks for the help.
Post InfoPosted 18-Jan-2010 22:51Profile Homepage AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
EditedEdited 19-Jan-2010 03:23
IMO a 6" active schooling fish shouldn't be a tank less than 6' long. I could see how some people might think that's overdoing it, but IME when I had 5-6" balas in my 55 gallon I knew the tank was too small for them.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 19-Jan-2010 03:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies