Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeFire bellied newts
shadowtheblacklab
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 52
Votes: 0
female usa
I now have 8 1 year old fire bellied newts.They are about 3 inches with the tails.Could they go in a 10 gallon with a betta,DG,red-eyed tetra,cory,and cherry barb?Or would they be better off in a 33 gallon with a male and a female betta,6 riries and a gold gourami?If niether then I have an 8 gallon I could put them in by themdselves.THNX!!!!

Yup. I'm that crazy Twilight/animal/music girl
Post InfoPosted 20-Apr-2007 01:52Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Report 
shadowtheblacklab
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
Never mind they are red spotted newts]
Same question tho

Post InfoPosted 20-Apr-2007 16:20Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
illustrae
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 876
female usa
Well, the first thing to determine is if they are fully aquatic newts. If not, then you need to create a semi-aquatic terrarium or paludarium, complete with misters and heaters to maintain humidity, etc. If they are fully aquatic, then how big will they get? Newts are generally carnivorous and will eat nearly anything they can fit in their mouths, including small fish and even smaller newts. Give them plenty of space. I would not recommend keeping them with small tetras, and if they get big enough, the bettas could be in serious peril. Bettas and Gouramis can be curious and vicious. If you do house the newts with either, then watch them and make sure the newts don't get picked on. It wouldn't be beyond a Gourami's capabilities to tear off a newts leg, or nibble on their feathery gills if they still have them.

Please post pictures of these newts if you can.

Hoping that there must be a word for everything I mean...
Post InfoPosted 20-Apr-2007 20:13Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Fishrockmysox
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 58
Votes: 12
female usa
10 gallon with a betta,DG,red-eyed tetra,cory,and cherry barb

Okay, this is kinda of irrelavant to the question being asked but, if you only have 1 tetra and 1 cory you should put them in the bigger tank and give them 2 to 4 companions each because both are schooling fish(you should know that).

And, as an answer to your question, illustrae pretty much answered it. If they do get big I would watch them too. Even if they look cute and innocent now they could grow up and being jerks. So watch them =]

10G- 6 Zebra Danios, 1 Upside Down Catfish
20G- 1 Goldfish
72G(maybe95)- Need Stock suggestions
Post InfoPosted 20-Apr-2007 22:51Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
shadowtheblacklab
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
I know,I know. The 2 evil ladies [my mom and the fishseller] wouldn't let me get anymore.
They have their own 10 gallon...so much for a 2nd grow out tank...
they are fully aquactic.I think they get up to 4 inches. They're mouths are about _ that big when fully open

Post InfoPosted 21-Apr-2007 00:18Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies