L# Fish not active at all
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeFish not active at all
jakemmy
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 6
Votes: 0
Alright. I have a 16 gallon Freshwater. I just bought a livebearer and 3 zebra's. They are all on the bottom, hanging out, breathing rapidly. I mistakenly put the temp up to 80. Once I realized my mistake, I turned off the light, turned off the heater...etc.

Hoping they will make it, my kids will freak out if they don't.

Anything else I should do? Are they in shock because of the move?
thanks,
Anne
Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2007 00:45Profile PM Edit Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
welcome to the site jakemmy,
First we'll need a bit more info. What are your water readings for ammonia, ph, nitrIte and nitrAte. How long has the tank been cycled?

Check what temperature the tank is at currently, then set the heater for that temperature. If the temp falls more than a few degrees in one day you risk fish illnesses such as ick. If the temperature is much lower than what you would like, slowly raise it a degree or two every day.

If these are new additions to your tank they will take some time to ajust. Leaving the light off will help. If these are new fish to a brand new tank than that is another issue involving too high of ammonia levels in the tank combined with the stress of the move.

Let us know some further info and we'll get you and your fishies set right .

^_^

Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2007 00:56Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
jakemmy
-----
Fingerling
Alright - I have no idea what the levels are, but I took a sample in to the store, and they tested it and said it was fine. The temp was at 80, but is being lowered as we speak. It's a new tank, new fish. The tank was cycled for 4 days prior to adding fish. The water was cloudy, but I added the "start right" stuff on Saturday, and only got cloudy this AM, this was before it was tested and they said it was fine.
Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2007 01:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Alright, some mistakes have been made but nothing more than any of us did when we first started out. The fish should do okay, luckily you have some hardy fish in there. You mentioned about lowering the temp. 80 is actually alright, it's not the best, but it's not as bad as the night I came home from work to see my tank at 98 !

The term "cycle" needs to be clarified. The process aquarists refer to as "cycling" is actually a process of converting ammonia to nitrIte then to nitrAte which takes 3-4 weeks not days. For more info read this link.

Next, don't rely on the LFS for your test readings. I'm not sure how many times I've heard of people getting their water tested at the store, only to find out whoever was doing the test didnt really know what they were doing, the chemicals were off, or they simply didnt give them the right information. Get yourself a master test kit ASAP. Most stores sell one for around $30 US, which does seem a bit much at first, but believe me you'll thank me at 2am when you realize you need to do a test ASAP!

If you can get the temp down to 76-78 and set the heater for that temp, I'd leave it there for a day. Increase your surface agitation to allow for faster exchange of gasses and increased oxygenation. Do this by either adding an airstone, or lowering the water level if you have a HOB style filter (aquaclear or the like).

What exactly does "start right" say it does? It sounds like a bacteria enhancer which will be a good thing. The cloudy that you see is perfectly normal it's actually the bacteria going to battle with the waste. I wouldn't suggest adding anything further at this point as I have a feeling that while the fish might be a little stressed they should pull through okay.

What was the livebearer you bought?

^_^

Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2007 01:36Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Gomer
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Small Fry with BBQ Sauce
Kudos: 1709
Votes: 106
male australia au-newsouthwales
Welcome to FP jakemmy.

Sounds like they are stressed from the move. 80ºF isn't too high, but as Babelfish said it would be best to lower it a little.

By the way, what sort of filter do you have?

-- Gomer
Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2007 01:47Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
Start right is only a water conditioner. It could be useful to get a bacteria starter like Cycle. Sometimes it can take at least a few days off the cycle.

If the fish continue to act stressed I'd do a 25% water change but make sure to match the temperature and add the water conditioner before you put the water in the tank. You definitely don't want to drop the temp anymore than it already has. Definitely a good idea to get at least an ammonia test. Otherwise your going to be guessing at the levels and changing water after the fish show symptoms instead of before it reaches harmful levels. I would not feed the fish for at least the next 3-4days and don't add any fish until the tank is cycled. That means zero ammonia, zero nitrites, and testable nitrates. Preferably you want to keep nitrates below 20ppm but at least 40. That's where again a test kit comes in handy. After the tank is cycled you'll need to do a nitrate test every so often to see if your doing frequent enough water changes.
Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2007 01:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jakemmy
-----
Fingerling
They seemed really ok when I brought them home for a few hours, and then they freaked out. I'm still messing with the in-tank heater to get it down - it's literally just a knob that you adjust and it's not exact!

I'll get a tester tomorrow.
Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2007 02:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
When you purchase a heater ALWAYS purchase a thermometer
at the same time. It is a must.

Then, with the heater unplugged back the temperature
setting down to its lowest setting, place the heater
in the tank, and leave it alone for a half hour.
This gives the contacts time to settle into the temperature
of the tank. Next, read the thermometer. If the heat needs
to be raised, the turn the knob on the heater up until
JUST AFTER the heater comes on (the pilot light comes on).

(Assuming the filter and or any air stones are running)
wait an hour and recheck the thermometer. If the temp is
still low, increase the temperature setting on the heater
again until the heater comes on. Continue "nudging" the
setting until the thermometer reaches your desired reading.
Spot check the thermometer once a day for the next week
at different times of the day and make any necessary
adjustment. After that, you should not have to touch it
again, just keep spot checking it.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2007 08:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
EditedEdited by Babelfish
I've used that type of heater before they can be a bit tricky to ajust but Franks given you a great way of doing it.
I'd suggest as well to ajust it when you (or someone responsible) will be around the house that can keep an eye on it. If it's reached the temp you want it to stay at but seems doesnt click off, give it a quarter turn off.
I had two heaters like that that were in regular use, one of them was one that sent my tank to 98F because I ajusted it and left for work. 12 hours later when I got home is when I nearly had the heartattack.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2007 10:00Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
jakemmy
-----
Fingerling
Thanks to all who responded! I really appreciate it! Whew. I do have a thermomentor, (spelled wrong) and I got it down today to 78 - perfect. I'm going to get a test kit today as well. they are moving around, seem happy today. Little livebearer (orange and black female) seems lonely. She stays by herself and I haven't seen her eat yet. Maybe some different fish food? I have a whisper filter, for a 20 gallon. It's going well.

Thanks again!
Anne
Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2007 16:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ImRandy85
---------------
Enthusiast
Bleeding Blue
Kudos: 137
Votes: 75
male usa
EditedEdited by imrandy85
Orange and black sounds like either a platy or swordtail. Have a look around the profiles to find out what kind of livebearer she is.

Swordtail:
http://fishprofiles.com/files/profiles/559.htm

Platy:
http://fishprofiles.com/files/profiles/558.htm
Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2007 17:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jakemmy
-----
Fingerling
She's a platy.
Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2007 17:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Keep a close eye on the tank, zebras don't normally pick on other fish, although it can happen. One tank I rescued happened to have one old grumpy female zebra in it. When I tried to increase the shoal she'd pick on all of them !
It might be possible that they are harrassing her. Also she could just want some more of her own kind. With livebearers however it can be a problem unless you're ready for the babies. Females often come preggers (I had guppies give birth on the drive home ), but if you add males at this point they'll just be chasing after her the whole time and she still wont get any peace!

Having said that, do not increase the stock any at this point, wait until you're cycled (ammonia zero, nitrIte zero, nitrAte present). Adding some low light hardy plants like java fern tied to some driftwood or a rock will provide her with some safe spots, and help the fish make it through the cycle by consuming some of the ammonia.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2007 22:07Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies