keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
EditedEdited by keithgh
How I changed from a temporary tank to the 5ft replacement tank, with no or any noticeable signs of a cycling process.

My 5ft tank just cracked as I stood in front of it. I quickly cleaned a temporary tank which I had made for a terrarium, plus a large plastic bucket and a few smaller buckets also plenty of towels just in case.
I syphoned as much water as I could just keeping below the crack, which was moving ever so slowly. I then transferred all the plants and the driftwood. Finally all the fish. To keep the bacteria going I was able to set up the Eheim Pro11 very quickly, then the heaters and the extra air stones. As I knew the substrate would be a bit dirty I did not place any into the temporary tank.
Now I have all the fish into a far smaller tank, which meant a massive over load, to help eliminate this and settle the fish down a lot I added some Melafix and Pimafix just in case of any injury or stress I put the fish into.
Now for the feeding this was reduced by 50% in quantity and every second day. I also added a double dose or Sera Nitrivec to boost the bacteria.

It took 2 weeks for the new tank to arrive total cost Au$100 the household insurance paid for the rest. As soon as it arrived I started to paint the back (now facing front) I used a quality water based black paint and applied five coats.

On Monday morning the tank was turned around and put into place. I fitted the timber pieces to the front and sides. Pushed the insulating bats between back of tank and an external solid brick wall. (The reason for that is during the colder months the bricks get very cold and this would mean a heat loss and the heaters working over time)
Next I set up the new UGF this time three risers, all to have own Rena pump and placed the air tubing in place (a total of 17Mt).
Now for the big wash because of the water problem all the gravel had to be washed in hot water directly from the HWS and I can tell you it stunk. As I washed each lot it was placed into the tank. When this was finished I added all the stored new prepared heated water up to the height of the UGF risers (first section only) this meant I could now get the UGFs working. Having a spare heater kept the water at the required temperature. I also added a double dose of Sera Nitrivec to start of the good bacteria.

Tuesday morning all fish in temporary tank OK only lost one SAE it jumped out a SS also jumped out but I saw him jump and no loss there.
As I was not feeling 100% in fact I was starting a very bad gastric attack. Here is the situation two tanks in the middle of a big shift and it just had to be done and quickly at that.

I put the heaters in place then reconnected the Eheim added the rest of the risers.
I took all the DW and plants quickly set up the DW cave and just placed the rest where I could no arrangement at all no time and feeling worse myself. Next came as much water as I could shift without disturbing the fish too much. Finally all the fish. Water still down about 20 Lt I still had some ready.
Now for the snake oil as some will call it. I bought Sachem’s Stability this product claims to reduce the cycling process. As recommended it can double dosed for the first time then at a 50% less once day for the next seven days.
I also added some Pimafix and Melafix as a precaution only.
Time very close to midday I went out side to get some fresh air and have a cup of tea and vegemite toast for my upset stomach. I managed the tea and toast and that is about all I stood up told Marg I felt terrible, next thing I can remember I was at the bedroom door 60+feet from where I had the tea and toast.

Next morning after having a very bad gastro night as soon as it was light and the tank lights on Marg said the tank was crystal clear finally I could relax. A few hrs later at the doctors first questions had I been up the bush or drinking tank water as this is causing too many gastro problems at the moment. As soon as I got the tablets from the chemist they started to work.
Now plan of attack for the new set up Stability worked out. Feeding every second day and a 50% reduction. As each day went pass no problems at all the water stayed crystal clear and no losses some thing must be working. I stopped the stability and did water change. At the water change I added the stability as recommended (this is a practice I have been doing for several years but using Sera Nitrivec.)
From here onwards it has been back to normal feeding every day and the weekly water change, the only difference was I did not do the monthly filter cleaning I deliberately left this for one month as I did not want to disturb the bacteria to much and having to rely on the bacteria in the UGF.

What ever is in the Seachem Stability all I can say it works and to me that is what counts.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 12-Feb-2008 11:01Profile PM Edit Report 
Twilight
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 76
Votes: 92
female canada
Wonderful, Keith! I'm so glad to hear it!

I vote! Do you?
Post InfoPosted 12-Feb-2008 20:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sora
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 96
Votes: 134
male usa
good quick thinking keith.

The true test of character is not how much we know how to do, but how we behave when we dont know what to do.
Post InfoPosted 16-Feb-2008 01:59Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 478
Votes: 271
male australia
hope you feel better mate theres nothing worse than having to work or do something that HAS TO BE DONE when you feel sick,sorry for the loss of the SAE,hows the tank and fish going now...everything back to normall yet..and how come you paint the back mate and dont just use those covers,you know the pictures of plants and things...ive always just used them instead of painting,that way if any bad scratches turn up on the front,it can just be turned around,and as the back normally has the covered stuff on it,this portects it from scratches,anyway just asking,how bout some piccys of the new tank
cheers darryl
Post InfoPosted 17-Feb-2008 01:31Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
I have always liked painted backs black. The back is hard to see any way big Anubias full coverage at back of tank, and to be honest I dont like the printed backs. Even with the bay front Betta tank I have painted the sides and the back, one reason one of the sides is very close to a window.

The tank is coming along terrific still no problems and I am not expecting any either. At the end of next month 6 weeks time I will be resetting it up as it was not done in the first place and doing a full canister cleaning. The reason for holding back on the cleaning I wanted the good bacteria to build up in the substrate and the UGF.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 17-Feb-2008 02:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 478
Votes: 271
male australia
cool sounds like it all happening
Post InfoPosted 17-Feb-2008 04:07Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
mews
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 33
Votes: 1
male australia
wow what a a few days.Glad the insurance came to the party and that you got over your gastro bout. Could have been allot worse all round. Ive built up a good series of buckets now
Bunnings have 60L black garbage bins with a decent "clip" on lid for $9ea. Certainly sped up and made my water changes much easier. Would also suffice in a disastrous situation like yours, now that your story has brought it to mind.

ta

My 5footer
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2379/2242540621_1a81dcb3c8.jpg
Post InfoPosted 28-Feb-2008 04:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Mews I have a 60L bin it is only used for the tank, at the moment the DW is soaking in it, plus several 25lt water containers

I store all my water in 15lt water containers. I heat them up and pour the water into a 10l plastic watering can that cuts out all the heavy lifting.

Look here for my

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 28-Feb-2008 07:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies