L# Getting back into it: A couple Qs
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeGetting back into it: A couple Qs
saucebuket
Small Fry
Kudos: 1
Votes: 1
EditedEdited by saucebuket
I'm getting back into fish keeping and I have couple questions. First some basic information on my set up.
It's a 37g, planted tank, with a substrate split into river rock and a flourite bed. Plants include about 10 jungle vals, a few different swords, java fern and moss. The tank sees about 70 watts of light 12 hours a day. I run a fluval 405 cranked way down. I don't have a test kit yet but a do a 40% h20 change per week. Fauna include 8 Harlequin Rasboras, 5 Corydora Aenus (3 albino), 1 leftover Sterbai, 2 Ottocinclus vittatus, and 2 parotocinclus jumbo.
----
My Rasboras are healthy, active adults but I'd like to bring out their darker colorations if possible. Should I add something to their diet, dim lights etc?

#2: Since Cories are schoolers I assumed that similar sized fish would school. Is this accurate or should I get the Sterbai some company of it's own?
Post InfoPosted 15-Apr-2009 00:47Profile PM Edit Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
The coloration of fishes tends to not only reflect health, but can also be affected by their environment. For example, if your environment is mostly pale, then the fish might be pale; however, if your aquarium is dark, then the fish might be darker. Do you have a background?

I have sterbais and pandas together, and at any given moment sterbais are more likely to be hanging out with each other than with pandas. Thus, IMO, they prefer their own company.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 15-Apr-2009 08:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
What are you feeding your fish? I've noticed that proper nutrition tends to bring out the best in fish. ie: cheap foods don't always cut it. I'm not talking about the 'color enhancing' foods here. Just adding some of the more expensive varieties, adding veggies for herbivores and frozen foods into the feeding routine.

Moving the light towards the front of the tank rather than the middle brings out the color in fish (IME) but then less of the light is on the plants. Background and substrate color also play a part like shini said. Dark is generally the best to bring out color, but with too little light the tank can just look...dark.

As shini said, cories do tend to prefer their own. However take into consideration the age of your current one, when he passes on to the great fishtank in the sky, will the remaining corys be a large enough group without him (in other words, don't go and buy just 2 more )

^_^

Post InfoPosted 16-Apr-2009 01:11Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
saucebuket
Small Fry
I purchased a black substrate. A dark background would be impractical due to my tanks awkward dimensions. I plan to purchase a few more Sterbai and a glob of java moss soon, as well.

As far as feeding I've been using Tetrafin flakes and Hikari wafers. I may tap into my stockpile of discus frozen foods.

Thanks, guys.

(8
Post InfoPosted 18-Apr-2009 03:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
In my experience I've found that the vividness of a fish's
colors is usually determined by the water quality and the
environment of the fish. If the water chemistry is off,
then the fish are stressed and generally much paler in
coloration. Likewise if they desire shaded areas and
are not provided with the necessary "shelter" of over
hanging plants or caves, then they feel exposed, stressed,
and are pale in coloration.

Background, gravel color, shelter, and water chemistries
work together with good quality foods to get the fish
into a comfortable "feeling" and vivid coloration.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 18-Apr-2009 06:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
saucebuket
Small Fry
EditedEdited by Saucebuket
Not to worry. I know my water quality is on point.
The overhanging plants are on their way as my jungle vals continue to grow. With the addition of the black substrate their already showing more color. I'll post pictures soon.
I appreciate all the input.

edit: how do I give kudos?
Post InfoPosted 18-Apr-2009 19:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies